PDA

View Full Version : Need to talk to HF multi tool owners now?

keith ouellette
01-05-2010, 2:05 PM
I need to cut some framing nails and some dry wall nails (our house has dry wall nails, not screws) in a tight spot where a reciprocating saw won't fit. I am making my wife he "fancy closet" for our office and need to get started now.

Will the HF multi tool do this well and if it will, does the cutting blade wear out fast?

Myk Rian
01-05-2010, 2:38 PM
The black blade that comes with the tool flattened teeth when I tried cutting off a steel screw. (6x32) I'm not sure what the stainless blade will do, but the carbide cutter will do it. The diamond cutter will also cut them, but slower than the carbide.
I'm not sure if any brand of the Multi tools have a blade that will cut nails off quickly.

Randal Stevenson
01-05-2010, 2:46 PM
I don't have one, but I have seen people getting them where a simple blade mod, may have saved them some money. (still won't help if one is looking for a new tool excuse)
not clickable link since commercial site, tos

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVuoV5FH_o (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVuoV5FH_o)

This may not work for you, if the body of the saw is in the way, just throwing an option out there.

keith ouellette
01-05-2010, 3:13 PM
I don't have one, but I have seen people getting them where a simple blade mod, may have saved them some money. (still won't help if one is looking for a new tool excuse)
not clickable link since commercial site, tos

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVuoV5FH_o (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVuoV5FH_o)

This may not work for you, if the body of the saw is in the way, just throwing an option out there.

I have done that trick before for the same exact thing but it wont work in my situation.
Thanks for the post though.

Rick Hall
01-05-2010, 3:29 PM
I have cut nails with the semi-circular blade on the HF multi tool, and it eats up blades fast if the nails are even modestly hard. Nice thing is there are plenty of teeth on the blade, so I just rotate to a new section.

I also own the Fein multi tool, and they have a bi-metal blade or something that is also semi-circular. I think I paid $40 for just the blade, but it works and has held up great. I think it will fit fine on the HF tool. Truth be told, though, you can buy a lot of the HF brand blades for $40 if you get a good price on them.

I would add that if the nails are any sort of hardened nails, don't bother. Made that mistake once and it was a waste of time and a blade.

Rick.

Frank Guerin
01-05-2010, 7:06 PM
I just did a little research ( punched in something for this tool ) and got back nothing but bad news on dremel, hf, and rockwell. I did not pick up anything on the more exspensive model and most was on the blade loosening. It would seem to be a tool that would be for a special enterest even if troublesome if it saved time and money but that is often what makes or breaks the bank.

Mike Henderson
01-05-2010, 7:12 PM
I just did a little research ( punched in something for this tool ) and got back nothing but bad news on dremel, hf, and rockwell. I did not pick up anything on the more exspensive model and most was on the blade loosening. It would seem to be a tool that would be for a special enterest even if troublesome if it saved time and money but that is often what makes or breaks the bank.
I wonder where you looked. Those tools have been discussed many times in this forum and the comments are generally good - especially considering the price of the HF tool. I bought mine for about $30. The Fein is at least 10 times that amount, and it's a special purpose tool most of us won't use very much.

Mike

Frank Guerin
01-05-2010, 7:22 PM
Mike I believe I just punched in multi tool in google and came up with many people complaing about the blade loosening etc. I don't believe there was much on Rockwell but I think it may be the newcomer. It sure seems to be a tool for specialized need which I think in the future I would appreciate but I would just as soon be agitated with waht I have now as something I put money in so I can be agitated even more latter.
Perhaps I am just getting to old to have to work around a tool problem to resolve the problem I am aready trying to resolve.

Josiah Bartlett
01-05-2010, 7:33 PM
The blade will loosen up if you don't bother to use the spring washer between the bolt and the blade. If you use the spring washer and torque the screw properly you will be fine. The blade loosening is not a safety issue but it will eventually ruin the drive dogs if it rattles too much. I've used my HF tool for several hours so far and I find it extremely useful.

keith micinski
01-05-2010, 8:21 PM
The Harbor freight Multi tool is the greatest invention in the history of the world. Dirt cheap and you can do just about anything with it. If mine broke I would stop everything I was doing and go by another one immediately.

Bruce Wrenn
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
The Harbor freight Multi tool is the greatest invention in the history of the world. Dirt cheap and you can do just about anything with it. If mine broke I would stop everything I was doing and go by another one immediately.I made so much EXTRA profit on the first job I did with my HF Multi-tool, that I went and bought a second in case the first quit. I saved over two hours time at $40 an hour, so I had profit that was figured into job plus and extra $80. Second tool only cost me $30, which left $50 in the ole tool fund.

Alan Schwabacher
01-06-2010, 12:25 AM
I've used the HF multitool for cutting nails and it's worked quite well. I used the Bosch bimetal blades, which fit. You can get the Bosch blades from McFeely's. Just search on that site for RBB-0040.

keith ouellette
01-06-2010, 8:29 AM
Ok thanks for all the replies. I needed it for the specific nail cutting purpose on this project so I wouldn't end up destroying to much dry wall when I took out some studs to redesign the closet.

I'll be getting one today while its on sale. Glad to hear it works so well.

Myk Rian
01-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I used the Bosch bimetal blades, which fit.
That's good to know. Thanks

george wilson
01-06-2010, 11:56 AM
The stainless steel blades,even of Fein make,are worthless.