PDA

View Full Version : Quilting Templates - Square or Diamond

Kimberly Connor
01-05-2010, 1:29 PM
Our local quilt store called and would like us to make some small acrylic templates for them to give away at an upcoming event. I have searched online and cannot seem to find the exact information for cutting these out to give them a sample. Does anyone have the information for just the simple 2" - 2 1/2" square or the diamond pattern?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Kim

AL Ursich
01-05-2010, 7:04 PM
There is a member here that cuts them wholesale for companies. I bought a big box of them off eBay hoping someday to make and sell them myself someday. Did find that some that I have are for Copyrighted Patterns and it would not be in my best interest to reproduce and sell them.... So at some point I will do basic shapes...

I did make about 60 Quilt Racks in my first year in business hoping for Granny Money but in the first year sold 2 and gave away 4... Since then.... Gave many away for Quilt Raffels... It did get me started on Wine/CD/Book Racks so that was good....

Now for your patterns.... I would just make the basic shapes in Corel and assign a cut path or vector to it...

Be sure to read about the Acyclic Fires in the post at the top and be careful...

Good Luck,

AL

Leigh Costello
01-05-2010, 8:29 PM
Our church ladies use simple patterns and shapes that I make when they need them. Hearts, stars, just generic shapes. Good luck!

Joe Pelonio
01-05-2010, 10:35 PM
I do custom as well as copyrighted wholesale jobs. You really need to talk to a quilter. I have one built in (my wife teaches at the quilt shop) for ideas on popular sizes and shapes. For simple ones 1/8" clear acrylic works well. On some, when I do a simple shape like circle, square or diamond, they have me engrave lines dividing them into quarters. Other times an outline 1/4" in (seam allowance?)

You might also see what's for sale at the local craft or better fabric stores on the shelf. They are generally mass produced in China and therefore you cannot compete on the price, so custom is the way to make money. Some of the jobs I have done were from the website, people would send me black cutouts of the shapes that I could scan and outline.