PDA

View Full Version : How Long Do You Leave Rough-outs Wrapped?

Rob Cunningham
01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Over the past 2 months I've roughed out 15 - 20 green bowl blanks. Each was soaked in DNA for several days, then wrapped in newspaper and stored on a low wire rack with the opening down (newspaper cut away around the opening) How long do they need to stay wrapped before I can unwrap them and pile them on a shelf for later finish turning?

Paul Atkins
01-05-2010, 1:03 PM
I leave them wrapped until I need to turn them - sometimes for years. Haven't turned bowls for a long time though. I write in felt pen what is inside.

Dick Strauss
01-05-2010, 1:11 PM
Rob,
There is no set time frame for drying. It will depend on the wood type, moisture content when the wood was harvested, how thick the walls are, etc.

If you've got a good postal scale, you can weigh them without unwrapping them. Once you see that the pieces have quit losing weight for several days, then they are ready to be have the paper removed and be returned. At this point, they should no longer be losing much moisture. (Be aware that the newspaper can soak up moisture from the air and fool the scale for a day or two. This is the reason for weighing over several days to see a flat weight trend.)

I wouldn't suggest poking them with a moisture meter unless you can do so in a place that won't appear in the final piece. If so, I'd think that 12% and under would be good for final turning.

Jim Underwood
01-05-2010, 1:22 PM
I've never used the DNA method, but supposedly the time is shorter than for regular air drying (still wrapped). David Reed Smith has an article on his website about it I think...

In my neck of the woods the blanks can air dry anywhere from 6 months to a year before being ready. If they've lost most of the moisture, I sometimes go ahead and unwrap them a couple of months down the road, since the paper is just there to prevent rapid drying....

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2010, 1:34 PM
Rob - I use the DNA method, have for a few years now, and when I rough out blanks I usually do a bunch at a time and then store them. I keep this up as long as I have fresh wood and when done roughing out - say a couple of months later - can start finishing the first rough outs.

A lot depends on humidity and temperature but during the summer I can rough out a bowl and it can be ready to finish turn in 3 to 4 weeks. Like I said - depends on the temp/humidity conditions.

Vijay Kumar
01-05-2010, 2:15 PM
Rob - I use the DNA method, have for a few years now, and when I rough out blanks I usually do a bunch at a time and then store them. I keep this up as long as I have fresh wood and when done roughing out - say a couple of months later - can start finishing the first rough outs.

A lot depends on humidity and temperature but during the summer I can rough out a bowl and it can be ready to finish turn in 3 to 4 weeks. Like I said - depends on the temp/humidity conditions.

All right I'll ask. As a newbie what is the DNA method?

Vijay

Charles Bouchelle
01-05-2010, 6:07 PM
I'm new too what is the DNA method?

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2010, 6:08 PM
Vijay sent you a pm.

Rob I usually soak mine for 3 to 5 days. I wrap them in a brown grocery sack cutting out the opening of the bowl. I use a scale and when it quits losing weight I unwrap it and let it sit another week. Then it is ready to return to the lathe to finish. Most of the time they can be returned to the lathe in 30 to 45 days instead of months to a year.

Vijay Kumar
01-05-2010, 6:33 PM
Thanks Bernie. I guess alcohol is a good desiccator.
Vijay

Jamie Straw
01-05-2010, 7:20 PM
All right I'll ask. As a newbie what is the DNA method?

Vijay

I'm new too what is the DNA method?

Someone recently posted this link (http://www.utahwoodturners.org/mags/smith-jan05.pdf)to an article on DNA soaking for bowls. It's a good read!

Jim Underwood
01-05-2010, 9:22 PM
Is that the same Dave Smith as this one?

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/

Jamie Straw
01-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Is that the same Dave Smith as this one?

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/

Perhaps! He seems to write alot of articles for for American Woodturner. What a great bunch of articles (http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles.htm)he has on his web site! But I didn't see the one on DNA soaking, so it may not be the same Dave.

Gary DeWitt
01-06-2010, 2:50 AM
I'm just now trying Denatured Alcohol, roughed out 2 blanks 10 days ago, soaked for 18 hours or so, wrapped and weighed. They seem to be leveling out in weight already, so in a couple days I'll probably be able to finish them. They are 7 and 10" diameter, 3/4 and 1" thick.

Dan Forman
01-06-2010, 3:11 AM
I've been following Ernie Conover's method lately, sealing the newly turned but unsoaked bowl in a brown paper grocery bag for about three weeks, then taking it out and letting dry for another couple of months on the rack in my basement shop, before finish turning. Not quite as fast , but no failures yet, and there is less mess. I was experiencing a lot of cracking with the DNA method.

Dan

Leo Van Der Loo
01-06-2010, 5:17 PM
That is the same method I have been preaching for many years, if anyone noticed :rolleyes: :) ;)

Michael Short
01-07-2010, 9:52 PM
Jim - Wow, that's alot of great information......Thanks for posting that link.