PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Screws - I'm a fan !

Mike Rees
01-05-2010, 12:14 PM
So, this weekend I finally splurged on blinds for the rest of the house. I had been avoiding the expense for other 'needs' (tools, etc.). So I have 10 blinds to rig up over the course of the afternoon.

The first thing I do whenever I buy ANYTHING is to throw away whatever fastners they send w/ the product. I've never bought anything that needed hanging where they've provided me with anything besides cheap foreign fastners that strip out or break.

So I subsitute what is in the box w/ sheetrock 1.25" screws to start. Nice aggresive points and threads, great for getting through the sheetrock flashing and whatever else I run into. They were the same length as the included screws (that I tossed) so I had no worries.

Until I ran out of sheetrock screws.

4 blinds to go, I'm now into those silver wood screws you pick up at HD. They might be great for driving down into wood, but screwing up through the flashing, sometimes at weird angles given the brackets, etc. ...

Well, lets just consider that saying they 'stunk' would be a kind way of putting it.

Than, the epiphany hit me. Grab my kit of Kreg screws. I didn't put it together initially because I'm not drilling pocket holes. Wow, what a differance.

These screws sunk in like nobody's business. With the square head I had no stripping issues. And with the long square head drive (not sure I'm calling it right) that comes w/ the kreg jig kit, I was able to sink screws through the holes in the brackets without cursing and scraping my knuckles w/ a hand screw driver pressed up against the side of the window opening.

Needless to say, I'll be picking up a few 500ct. boxes of various sizes from Amazon. Very soon. So long HD silver phillips screws !! I wasn't that found of you in the first place.

Kurt Rosenzweig
01-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Lowes sell them also as well as the pocket jigs. I just picked one up and am dying to try it.

Mike Rees
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Lowes sell them also as well as the pocket jigs. I just picked one up and am dying to try it.

I picked up the K4 Jigg at Lowes w/ a 10% coupon. Amazon sells bigger boxes of the screws though - and no tax.

Dave Novak
01-05-2010, 1:28 PM
I reguraly scan Amazon for kreg screws on sale and buy the 500 or 1000 count boxes in every size they make. I use them for a lot of non-pocket hole projects. They're just really good screws in my humble opinion.

bob frost
01-05-2010, 5:59 PM
Dave, I was able to pick up these screws from Sommerfield tools for $6.95 shipped.
I just got my jig fort Christmas but haven't used it or the screws yet but I read a lot of great things about them.

That was for a box of 500

gary butcher
01-05-2010, 6:02 PM
I have a few boxes of Kreg screws at home and they are very good. Go in fast and very solid. Not too keen on their pocket jig but the screw design is great.

keith ouellette
01-05-2010, 6:15 PM
I love the kreg screws also. They seem to be a good quality steel, they dont strip easy and they don't like to break as easy as some other screws of the same dia.

I have used them for a number of non pocket uses and I also buy them from lowes. I always keep some 2" and 2+1/2" on hand.

Chris Padilla
01-05-2010, 6:20 PM
McFeely's also has good quality pocket screws....

Jim O'Dell
01-05-2010, 7:34 PM
I've had good luck using the Kreg screws on the mini blind backets as well. I like having what amounts to a built in washer, and the head is pretty flat to boot. Jim.

Peter Quinn
01-05-2010, 8:22 PM
I find myself using my pocket screws for all sorts of things that have nothing to do with pocket holes. I like the auger points, I like the washer heads, and the square head is great. I've sworn off sheet rock screws some time ago, so when I need a standard head assembly screw I'll use deerfield's ultimates or SPAX, both of which are great too.

Jim Becker
01-05-2010, 8:59 PM
McFeely's also has good quality pocket screws....

I was just going to say that while I like the Kreg brand screws, I like the McFeely's version better.

glenn bradley
01-05-2010, 9:19 PM
+1 on McFeely's

Frank Martin
01-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Spax screws are very good also. Another example of fine German engineering. After I found these screws, I don't buy anything else anymore in the types Spax offers.
One favorite source is McFeely's.

Van Huskey
01-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Kreg screws are an example of a product I was "forced" to buy (in order to use their jig) and then realized how useful a well engineered screw can be. Much like quality abrasives once I discovered them I can never understand how I lived without them.

Don Morris
01-06-2010, 1:30 AM
Another vote for McFeely's.

Glen Butler
01-06-2010, 2:31 AM
Jim and Peter,

I believe you are referring to the modified truss head as they are appropriately called. I like them as well. Tried the Kreg's that came in the kit. Then tried Wurth and they have a hybrid thread that works for hardwoods and softwood. Not sure if Kreg has such a critter.

Bill Swanson
01-06-2010, 7:49 AM
How were you able to get free shipping form Sommerfield tools?

bob frost
01-06-2010, 4:07 PM
Bill, I believe free shipping is their standard policy, as is MLCS. If you look on rge right hand side on there home page it reads " exclusive free shipping"