PDA

View Full Version : global cooling from the 70's back with a vengeance in fla.

keith ouellette
01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I have been in florida for the winters for the past 30+ years in the same area. I remember it getting really cold (down to 30 by our standards is really cold) and one killing freeze

but I don't remember it staying below 55 during the day for so many days in a row. Its been in the 50's since saturday and its staying like that all week long. right now at noon its only 45. When I was in school, even on days that it was cold, you didn't need a jacket by 10 oclock in the morning because it warmed up.

we've been in the 50's for days and even on the days it was supposed to approach 60 it didn't make it above 55.

I work out doors and wear long sleeve shirts and long pants all summer long so I get cold pretty easy. One good thing. I hear fire wood sales are up 400% and hear I used to think a fire place was a dumb idea in central florida.

By the way I don't really think its global cooling or global warming. Its just weather. cold weather that is.

Mitchell Andrus
01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Some will say that this proves an unprecedented shift in weather patterns is upon us.

Some day the earth will shrug and we'll all be gone.

Jim O'Dell
01-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Yeah, and in a few days, it might get even colder for you. We are supposed to be low to mid teens for lows on Fri and Sat am, and in the mid 20s for highs Thurs and Fri. And I work on a service drive that runs north/south.:eek: BRRRRR. ;) Jim.

Sean Troy
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
We've been in the low single digits at night and below 20 degrees during the day for 5 days now with lower temps expected after a snow on Thursday. Below zero wind chills at night. We are averaging 20 degrees below normal for this time of year. We are going through some firewood pretty fast. I'll have to stock up on some more soon. Mother nature is just doing what she does with no help from us.

keith ouellette
01-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Yeah, and in a few days, it might get even colder for you. We are supposed to be low to mid teens for lows on Fri and Sat am, and in the mid 20s for highs Thurs and Fri. And I work on a service drive that runs north/south.:eek: BRRRRR. ;) Jim.

I really hope it doesn't get colder. That would mean a long killing freeze that would probably wipe out a lot of our landscaping plants in this area. Not to mention everyone's citrus. If it goes further south then the citrus industry as a whole could really suffer.

I wonder If I should buy orange juice futures or something:D.

Paul Ryan
01-05-2010, 1:42 PM
I know plants and agriculture are big business for you guys down south but I really can't feel sorry for you. You can't even imagine how much warmer 20's feel compared to the crap we have had the last 5 days. I got of the car today and it was -4. As soon as I got out I though boy does that feel nice. I am not kidding the -4 felt considerably warmer than what we have been dealing with. Just to give you some perspective, sat. and sun. mornings were 64 degrees colder than freezing. So when you think 32 is cold imagine it being 64 degrees cooler than that. And monday morning was -28, today was darn right balmy only -22. Sorry for that lack of sympathy. The cooler weather we have been having is starting to get to me. It also costs us a heck of a lot more as well. I spend around $1500 a year on heat alone, and that is cheap compared to many other people. Anyhow good luck and keep warm.

Paul Ryan
01-05-2010, 2:56 PM
Update for you fellas,

Pool party at my house this evening. I will supply the beer and the ladies if I can get my wife to take the kids away for the evening. It is currently +2 here and it feels great. Come on 20's, it hasn't been + temps here since early Friday morning. Alast though it will not stay it is suposed to drop like a rock tonight and tommarow, we have a good old Alberta clipper comming. Or as Denny Green would like to call it a Calcutta clipper.

keith ouellette
01-05-2010, 4:25 PM
I know plants and agriculture are big business for you guys down south but I really can't feel sorry for you. You can't even imagine how much warmer 20's feel compared to the crap we have had the last 5 days. I got of the car today and it was -4. As soon as I got out I though boy does that feel nice. I am not kidding the -4 felt considerably warmer than what we have been dealing with. Just to give you some perspective, sat. and sun. mornings were 64 degrees colder than freezing. So when you think 32 is cold imagine it being 64 degrees cooler than that. And monday morning was -28, today was darn right balmy only -22. Sorry for that lack of sympathy. The cooler weather we have been having is starting to get to me. It also costs us a heck of a lot more as well. I spend around $1500 a year on heat alone, and that is cheap compared to many other people. Anyhow good luck and keep warm.

Well with that kinda cold I can't blame you for not feeling sorry for us down here. I was really commenting on how unusual it is. Its just weird weather.

Are the temps you are experiencing colder than normal for this time of year on average. Does it usually stay -22 during the day every day for dec/jan? thats to cold for me to fathom.

I would try to compare what it cost to cool our hous in the summer compared to what you pay for heat but high humid 90 deg wont kill us like
-22 would kill you. Yours is a necessity. we could (but wouldn't ) live without ac.

-22 sucks. I feel bad for you. I mean that.

Jon Lanier
01-05-2010, 4:37 PM
God has a wonderful sense of humor. :D

Chris Kennedy
01-05-2010, 4:39 PM
Update for you fellas,

Pool party at my house this evening. I will supply the beer and the ladies if I can get my wife to take the kids away for the evening. It is currently +2 here and it feels great. Come on 20's, it hasn't been + temps here since early Friday morning. Alast though it will not stay it is suposed to drop like a rock tonight and tommarow, we have a good old Alberta clipper comming. Or as Denny Green would like to call it a Calcutta clipper.

There are times when I miss the cold of Michigan when I lived there. I liked the snow (in particular, how quiet it made everything).

That being said, I do not miss Alberta clippers. When I lived in Michigan, it meant ridiculously cold. When I lived in Pennsylvania, it meant cold and masses of lake effect snow. Nope -- don't miss them at all.

Stay warm.

Chris

Chris S Anderson
01-05-2010, 4:47 PM
I feel so very sorry for you. :rolleyes:

Though I was never smart enough to just move to a warmer climate, I get jealous when I see Floridians on the news talking about how cold it is, while the little info bar that runs across the bottom of the screen flashes Chicago 0. Add the temperature and the number of wins the Bears had this past season, and we are still in the single digits.

Paul Ryan
01-05-2010, 5:13 PM
Well with that kinda cold I can't blame you for not feeling sorry for us down here. I was really commenting on how unusual it is. Its just weird weather.

Are the temps you are experiencing colder than normal for this time of year on average. Does it usually stay -22 during the day every day for dec/jan? thats to cold for me to fathom.

I would try to compare what it cost to cool our hous in the summer compared to what you pay for heat but high humid 90 deg wont kill us like
-22 would kill you. Yours is a necessity. we could (but wouldn't ) live without ac.

-22 sucks. I feel bad for you. I mean that.

Keith,

The temps I reported we lows for the day usually at about 8 am it starts warming up somewhat. Saturday the warmest is got was -18. Sunday the warmest it got was -14, yesterday the warmest was -7. All of these temps are just the air temp not with wind factored in. If you look at weather.com it will show the air temp and the feels like temp. The feels like temp is with the windchill factored in. Saturday and sunday mornings the feels like temp was -40+. This are colder than average temps. Every year we have streches of -0 temps, and the coldest days maybe 1 or 2 a year of -20+. Rarly do we have -30's. It is not uncommon to have a couple of days back to back were the high temp does not get above 0. But to have the -30's back to back to back is unusual. The average high daily temp for jan is 22 and average daily low is 4. January is usually our coldest month but not always. Last winter we had a -28 day in febuary. 20's arn't bad at all I am perfectly comfortable being our side all day long in 20's.

As far as the summer temps we usually aircondition our house all july and august. I know all to well what 90 and super high humidity feels like. I hate that much much more than the cold. The cold you can warm up with more cloths, heat you can only legally take off so much clothing.

I have seen your recent posts about the tough times with self employment. I feel for you. I am self employed too, it has its perks but it also has its trying times. Oct, Nov, Dec. have been my worst months since being self employed. Financally my wife and I are strapped right now too. She is on materity leave and I hardly have any work to do. Hopefully 2010 is better for all of us. Keep your head up, I have always felt that good things come out of disasters. When I got laid off in 06 I though it was the end. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise up to this point. God bless and keep warm.

Jim Becker
01-05-2010, 8:33 PM
Things don't bode well through the next week, either...another arctic air mass is on its way...

dan grant
01-05-2010, 8:39 PM
I have been in florida for the winters for the past 30+ years in the same area. I remember it getting really cold (down to 30 by our standards is really cold) and one killing freeze

but I don't remember it staying below 55 during the day for so many days in a row. Its been in the 50's since saturday and its staying like that all week long. right now at noon its only 45. When I was in school, even on days that it was cold, you didn't need a jacket by 10 oclock in the morning because it warmed up.

we've been in the 50's for days and even on the days it was supposed to approach 60 it didn't make it above 55.

I work out doors and wear long sleeve shirts and long pants all summer long so I get cold pretty easy. One good thing. I hear fire wood sales are up 400% and hear I used to think a fire place was a dumb idea in central florida.

By the way I don't really think its global cooling or global warming. Its just weather. cold weather that is.
waaaaaaaaaaaa:):):):) forgot to mention i live in saskatchewan

Rob Wright
01-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I really hope it doesn't get colder. That would mean a long killing freeze that would probably wipe out a lot of our landscaping plants in this area. Not to mention everyone's citrus. If it goes further south then the citrus industry as a whole could really suffer.

I wonder If I should buy orange juice futures or something:D.

;)
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-01-06/orange-juice-futures-jump-to-two-year-high-on-florida-freeze.html

Robert Parrish
01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
You guys need to buy your strawberries and oranges while you can!

Belinda Barfield
01-06-2010, 11:54 AM

I can't really feel sorry for you either, Paul. ;) You choose to live where it is really cold. I choose to live where the wind chill at midday is not ever supposed to be 27 degrees, which it is today.

Here is the big issue with most homes in the south, most are heated by heat pumps which. If I recall correctly a heat pump isn't worth a darn when the temp drops below 35 degrees or so. Even when the auxillary heat kicks in (which makes Georgia Power VERY happy) the air pumping out of the vents isn't really warm. Wind chill when I walked out the door this a.m. was 16. It didn't feel much warmer than 45 in my house.:eek:

Sorry, cold weather makes me grumpy, and thermals make me look plump(er). I'm really thankful that we have as much warm wether as we do.

Paul Ryan
01-06-2010, 2:54 PM
I can't really feel sorry for you either, Paul. ;) You choose to live where it is really cold. I choose to live where the wind chill at midday is not ever supposed to be 27 degrees, which it is today.

Here is the big issue with most homes in the south, most are heated by heat pumps which. If I recall correctly a heat pump isn't worth a darn when the temp drops below 35 degrees or so. Even when the auxillary heat kicks in (which makes Georgia Power VERY happy) the air pumping out of the vents isn't really warm. Wind chill when I walked out the door this a.m. was 16. It didn't feel much warmer than 45 in my house.:eek:

Sorry, cold weather makes me grumpy, and thermals make me look plump(er). I'm really thankful that we have as much warm wether as we do.

I didn't necessarily choose to live here but this is where my roots are. :)

I heat my home with a heat pump. I installed it 2 years ago and am very happy. I use strickly the heat pump down to 15 degrees, I keep my house temp set at 65 during the day and 62 at night when we are sleeping. When the temp drops below 15 I have an electric coil that comes on to assist the heat pump and get enough heat down to -5. When the temp drops to below -5 or when the power company cycles the heat pump off my system automatically switches to LP. So I know all about heat pumps. And I know with experience that they will put out enough heat down to 15. It may feel drafty because the air temp from the ducts is cool. But come on grow some skin. The house doesn't have to be 72 degrees.

One of my dreams would be to set the expression on some faces from the south when they feel -35, let me just say it is truly enlightening. It is hard to breath because the air freezes your nostril hairs instantly. Keep warm.

Belinda Barfield
01-06-2010, 3:13 PM
I didn't necessarily choose to live here but this is where my roots are. :)

I heat my home with a heat pump. I installed it 2 years ago and am very happy. I use strickly the heat pump down to 15 degrees, I keep my house temp set at 65 during the day and 62 at night when we are sleeping. When the temp drops below 15 I have an electric coil that comes on to assist the heat pump and get enough heat down to -5. When the temp drops to below -5 or when the power company cycles the heat pump off my system automatically switches to LP. So I know all about heat pumps. And I know with experience that they will put out enough heat down to 15. It may feel drafty because the air temp from the ducts is cool. But come on grow some skin. The house doesn't have to be 72 degrees.

One of my dreams would be to set the expression on some faces from the south when they feel -35, let me just say it is truly enlightening. It is hard to breath because the air freezes your nostril hairs instantly. Keep warm.

You obviously have a much more efficient heat pump that mine. I'm guessing your house has better insulation as well. I live in a top floor condo, marsh front. Nothing blocks the wind so it's pretty breezy as well with the wind coming off the intracoastal waterway. Upgrading the insulation is on the to do list for the coming year.

I keep the temp 68 daytime, and 60 at night.

My SO worked in Canada multiple times, always winter. He likes to tell the story of working on a dam project with some Canadian divers. They would walk around in shorts and long sleeve shirts made from some miraculous thermal material. My SO looked like the the kid from the Christmas Story because he was wearing every piece of clothing he owned. :D

Oh, and I would grow some skin but that would make it difficult when we shed everything we can when it's 103 in August. I love Savannah. Most of us get to work in shorts and tank tops.

Paul Ryan
01-06-2010, 4:12 PM
Oh, and I would grow some skin but that would make it difficult when we shed everything we can when it's 103 in August. I love Savannah. Most of us get to work in shorts and tank tops.

I commend you on keeping them temp in your house low. My heat pump is only 1 year old. It is a 19 seer rating when in ac mode, that was the most efficient available. So that does help alot for heat. And yes my house is somewhat winterized. Except for the 7 exterior doors, that hurts the efficiency, I did blow 60 bags of insulation in the attic this fall so I now have a R-55 in the atic. Most southern homes don't even have half that.

We get our hot and very humid days that are the same as yours except they are only a few per summer. Personally I love the climate of hawaii. Never to hot never to cold, never to humid. I was there on a snokeling trip one morning. One of the divers was shivering and carrying on about how cold 68 was. We had arrived 3 days earlier. It was -22 when we boarded the plane and 86 when we deboarded.

I have tried and tried to convice my wife to move to hawaii but she wouldn't do it. Now with our 2 kids it wont happen anytime soon. My joke to her when she was pregnant with our 1st was, if the child is born a different race than I am, she will no where to find me and the dog.

Bill Cunningham
01-07-2010, 10:03 PM
The one and only time I was ever in Fla. was in the late 70's. This was a trip to Miami for the DEMA (Diving Equip. Manuf. Assoc.) trade show. I remember standing under a palm tree outside the 4 seasons, thinking Dang!! I've NEVER been this warm outside in January before. I spoke too soon.. The following morning I was ouside brushing a light snow, and scraping the ice off the windshield of the company pickup. This was apparently the first recorded snowfall in Miami's history.. That same week it was over 60deg in Anchorage Alaska.. That same week it snowed in Nassau.. Deja Vu all over again.

Kevin Arceneaux
01-08-2010, 10:19 PM
It was -17 in Laramie, I have never been so cold.

AT home, when my wife went out to take care of the chickens, their water was frozen.

Ken Garlock
01-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Let's hear it for global cooling.:cool:

This morning it got down to 9 degrees F. in our backyard. That is -12.8 C. :eek: The morning TV news said the Dallas area has been below freezing for more than 72 hours.

Paul Ryan
01-09-2010, 1:26 PM
-22 below here this morning. That is still 10 degrees warmer than last weekend. Thawing out my freezer. I put all of the food out on the deck, it is colder outside than the inside of the freezer was.

Brian Kent
01-09-2010, 1:35 PM
If I say anything in this thread, you will all kill me.

David G Baker
01-09-2010, 1:38 PM
Brian,
Naw we won't kill you, we will wait and let the earthquakes get you. :D