PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop owners forum

Cliff Holmes
01-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I've searched around, but can't find anything. Anyone know of a forum specifically for Sawstop owners?

Greg Sznajdruk
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Maybe because a Saw Stop is a cabinet saw that has a blade stopping device. Other than that it just a table saw.

Greg

bob frost
01-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I've searched around, but can't find anything. Anyone know of a forum specifically for Sawstop owners?

No, but watch my new thread" Let's compare a G90 to a SS pcs". maybe this will be of some help.

Cliff Holmes
01-05-2010, 1:15 PM
Maybe because a Saw Stop is a cabinet saw that has a blade stopping device. Other than that it just a table saw.

Well, it's a little more than that. The larger table means special adaptations for some accessories, for example. It has several features that are, in my experience, totally unique.

Cliff Holmes
01-05-2010, 1:17 PM
No, but watch my new thread" Let's compare a G90 to a SS pcs". maybe this will be of some help.

Well, it's not the PCS I'm interested in. I'm looking at the ICS.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-05-2010, 3:21 PM
Cliff, I think it's unofficially here!;)

Chris Padilla
01-05-2010, 4:03 PM
Yahoo forums has Felder and Festool Forums (among others)...all you need is someone to start it and host it. I'm surprised that SS doesn't have a forum set up but then again, they can be, uh, "fun" to handle.... ;)

Greg Sznajdruk
01-05-2010, 4:04 PM
Well, it's a little more than that. The larger table means special adaptations for some accessories, for example. It has several features that are, in my experience, totally unique.
That maybe but I'm hard pressed to understand what a Saw Stop can do the my Unisaw can't.

Greg

Dan Forman
01-05-2010, 4:10 PM
Not an owner, but I think the obvious answer to that is: resist cutting off your hand.

Dan

Chris Padilla
01-05-2010, 4:11 PM
That maybe but I'm hard pressed to understand what a Saw Stop can do the my Unisaw can't.

Greg

Slice through a hot dog??

Glen Blanchard
01-05-2010, 4:15 PM

Greg

Greg - I don't really think that it can do anything your Unisaw can't. But that is not really the point.

I installed a Wixey digital fence readout on my SawStop a few years ago. After it was installed as per Wixey's directions, I was unable to turn the crank that raises/lowers the blade a full rotation as the Wixey track was in the way. I believe mine was the first SS to utulize his DRO, and as a result he had no way of knowing this would happen. It is apparently not an issue with other saws. If there was a SS forum, other owners would benefit from this information and chime in. It's not really that the SS can do something your Uni cannot, but it has a certain amount of uniqueness (much like the new generation Uni) that make it a little different in some areas.

Victor Robinson
01-05-2010, 4:30 PM
Surprised that SS hasn't done this on their website. Maybe they don't feel it's worth it as it will amplify the noise if anything negative ever comes out about their saws.

Greg Sznajdruk
01-05-2010, 5:48 PM
Greg - I don't really think that it can do anything your Unisaw can't. But that is not really the point.

I installed a Wixey digital fence readout on my SawStop a few years ago. After it was installed as per Wixey's directions, I was unable to turn the crank that raises/lowers the blade a full rotation as the Wixey track was in the way. I believe mine was the first SS to utulize his DRO, and as a result he had no way of knowing this would happen. It is apparently not an issue with other saws. If there was a SS forum, other owners would benefit from this information and chime in. It's not really that the SS can do something your Uni cannot, but it has a certain amount of uniqueness (much like the new generation Uni) that make it a little different in some areas.

Point taken may there are some unique issue around the SS that could be shared. The vast majority of the posters I suspect don't have SS and you would have to monitor another forum. Seams to me there are numerous post on this forum in regard to SS as this one clearly is. Not suggesting that you folks don`t start your own but from time to time I do look at SS posting. But doubt I would join a SS forum.

My .02

Greg

Chris Padilla
01-05-2010, 6:17 PM
Surprised that SS hasn't done this on their website. Maybe they don't feel it's worth it as it will amplify the noise if anything negative ever comes out about their saws.

Running/Moderating a forum is extremely difficult work. If Steve Gass has monitored any popular ww'ing sites, he already knows this and, in a way, leaves us to monitor such things for him. Now that I think about it, I think he is smart to NOT start a company-sponsored SS chat/forum site...some fan somewhere will undoubetly do such a thing. Frankly, I'm surprised one hasn't surfaced yet....

Anyone that frequents the Creek regularly will see that SS posts can get quite heated...just like Festool...or EZ....

Kent A Bathurst
01-05-2010, 6:22 PM

Greg

Greg - well, the Unisaw doesn't come with the special kool-aid that the SS owners drink. :D

Paul Ryan
01-05-2010, 6:32 PM

Greg

Greg,

It is not about what the Sawstop can do, it is about what it won't do!

David Schmaus
01-05-2010, 6:41 PM
Greg - well, the Unisaw doesn't come with the special kool-aid that the SS owners drink. :D

Thats because when you cut your fingers off you won't be able to hold the cup of kool-aid. :D

Bob Borzelleri
01-06-2010, 1:36 AM
Thats because when you cut your fingers off you won't be able to hold the cup of kool-aid. :D

Not true. I spoke with a fellow a couple of weeks ago who had lost all three interior fingers and he held a cup of coffee between his thumb and pinkie quite well, I thought. Maybe if he had cut all of them off... but then he would still have the other hand...

Sawstops make more sense than many people do.

James Jayko
01-26-2017, 1:27 PM
Not cut your finger off, for one?

Greg

glenn bradley
01-26-2017, 2:39 PM
All the usual SS back and forth that shows up every time someone mentions the company aside . . .

I have to agree that the ICS is larger than a PCS ot a PM 2000 or a contractor saw all of which share the common 27" deep table. Many industrial saws use the larger 30" plus dimensions of the ICS. This doesn't make it special per se. There are a lot of owners here. I would test the waters with a specific question. If the knee-jerk anti-SS posters can't control themselves, notify the mods.

Prashun Patel
01-26-2017, 2:47 PM
Guys, his thread is 7 years old...

Van Huskey
01-26-2017, 2:56 PM
I have to agree that the ICS is larger than a PCS ot a PM 2000 or a contractor saw all of which share the common 27" deep table. Many industrial saws use the larger 30" plus dimensions of the ICS.

The PM 2000 and the new Unisaw both have a deeper table like the ICS.

And this is indeed a 7 year old thread BUT it will run a couple of days.

Chris Hachet
01-26-2017, 3:04 PM

GregI have a Unisaw I just bought and I have several friends with Sawstops. I am so tired of the civil war on threads about how one saw is better than the other, and that is everyone. Sawstop, Powermatic, Unisaw, Grizzly...IMHO more sawdust and completed projects, less infighting...

That being said, I absolutely love the Unisaw and could not agree more with you in some ways. I bought it from a woodworker who was building kitchen cabinets, trim, doors, exterior trim, built ins, et al for a 15,000 sq. foot house (new build) in a very exclusive neighborhood. He had several other Unsiaws in the shop, some dating to the 1950's. When I meet a Grizzley, Powermatic, or Sawstop owner that is more productive or a better woodworker than that guy...I'll listen.

Until then, they all have their good points and bad points. I was seriously considering a Sawstop until I found a great deal on a completely intact and decent Unisaw.

Besides, the Unisaw is the best looking, and since paint color seems to be the biggest distinction in saws...my heart will forever bleed Delta Grey...Love the look of the older 1950's Unsaws. Best looking table saw ever made IMHO.

Chris Hachet
01-26-2017, 3:06 PM
Slice through a hot dog??That is is more than the saws Lowes and Home Depot sell, those saws are unfit to cut a birthday cake IMHO.

Chris Hachet
01-26-2017, 3:07 PM
Not an owner, but I think the obvious answer to that is: resist cutting off your hand.

Dan And if you want the safety feature, the Sawstop is one heck of a saw.

Chris Hachet
01-26-2017, 3:08 PM
Greg - well, the Unisaw doesn't come with the special kool-aid that the SS owners drink. :DNo, it comes with its own Kool-Aid....which is OK...

Honestly, I really like all of the major cabinet saws on the market today.

Chris Hachet
01-26-2017, 3:13 PM
Surprised that SS hasn't done this on their website. Maybe they don't feel it's worth it as it will amplify the noise if anything negative ever comes out about their saws.Given the general nature of internet debate about cabinet saws I can see why they don't. I am surprised that no one has argued that the Sawstop is actually sexist because you never see a female woodworker getting her hand saved, only a male.

"If it won't save my daughters hand, I don't want it, I will keep my rusty saw from Harbor freight"

(Yes, to the mods, this is sarcasm, but given how fact free and heated most cabinet style table saw debates are...)

Matt Day
01-26-2017, 4:15 PM
I hate thread bumps like this. Especially Saw Stop threads that are SEVEN YEARS OLD!

Dale Murray
01-27-2017, 12:17 AM
Honestly, I find it disgusting, all these arguments and characterizations in regard to users of one tool over another. It is one of the reasons I am not a frequent poster here.

I have an ICS.

So, if you have a specific question I may be able to help.

Patrick Walsh
01-27-2017, 12:20 AM
Oh man here we go again,

Talking SawStop is like talking Patriots.

I own two Sawstops and i make a living with my tools. I use non sawstops on a weekly if not daily basis. Non the less the Patriots dont stink and neather do SawStop TS's...

Dale Murray
01-27-2017, 12:21 AM
I hate thread bumps like this. Especially Saw Stop threads that are SEVEN YEARS OLD!

Your pain tastes like candy.

Patrick Walsh
01-27-2017, 12:31 AM
I'm with Matt on this one.

People arguing about what saw they use and or approve of or dont approve of is freaking annoying as can be.

I just dont get it. Its like these people that are anti sawstop on account of the potential or attempt of said sawstop ceo owner whomever is really gonna have a law passed that saiz all saws have to have em.

Thats as reasonible as the guy who stockpiles munitions like a feind on account of "the man gonna come for my gun some day and they aint gettin mine"....