PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore - Turning only?

Jim Eller
01-05-2010, 10:19 AM
While searching for information on sycamore, it seems all of the threads are regarding turning this species.

Can this stuff be used for furniture and other uses? Pros and cons?

Jim

Doug Shepard
01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I just recently used some for a small table
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=128011
The biggest issue seems to be excessive wood movement if you aren't dealing with quartersawn stuff. It's got some nice ray fleck in it though, so I think it's definitely worth doing.

Kent A Bathurst
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Can this stuff be used for furniture and other uses? Pros and cons? Jim

Jim - I absolutely LOVE quartersawn sycamore - the grain is beautiful/stunning/[insert adjective here]. Flatsawn grain has nothing of note to speak about - boring to me, as compared to QS, but that's just me - no shot intended, Doug. I recently completed a frame-and-panel blanket chest with walnut frame and QSS for the panels. Came out very nice. Sapwood only, to keep consistent light color, but including heartwood looks very nice also, especially if you get bookmatched set.

Because chest was intended for teen-age niece, I finished with tiny amount of BLO, then couple swipes with 1.5# extra pale shellac, then wipe-on poly (DON'T EVEN START, people). Have also done smaller things using the BLO and then shellac only. The finished grain looks [adjective here], and with the finish it has an almost 3D quality to it.

Radial shrinkage is a bit higher than average - in the range of beech. Tangential shrinkage is in, like, the second quartile - better than a lot (better than beech, all the maples, all the oaks, but not walnut). T/R ratio is very near the bottom (best).

Sycamore is easy to work, (as compared to WO/HM/etc.) with the caveat that any QS grain is designed to test your patience with planer/planes. Scraper plane and card scrapers are your friend.

I got a couple hundred BF, used less than half, the rest is sitting right over there in the corner calling to me...........Got mine from Talarico - they have some nice photos on their web site. THe photos don't really do it justice, though.

I have no cons. None. Pros are grain (QS only) and ease-of-work.

Kirk Poore
01-05-2010, 2:08 PM
Yes, I use it on these:
http://medievaloak.com/images/sChair3.jpg
Feet, boss, and particularly the legs. This particular example had some fairly dark color--most sycamore is very light in color. I use it because it doesn't split well, which is needed for the S-curves on the legs. It works well with machines and sands well, but the grain can be very wavy and so its very hard to handplane without some tear-out. I've tried staining, and it comes out fairly blotchy. Sealing first might help.

Kirk

Steve Rozmiarek
01-05-2010, 3:08 PM
I agree with Kent, the quarter swn stuff can be awsome. I also agree with Kirk about the potential blotching.

Wish I had a better supply of it out here, I'd use more of it.

Jim Eller
01-05-2010, 6:39 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll tell the seller I need only quarter sawn.

Is a dollar a board foot about the right price?

Jim

Danny Hamsley
01-05-2010, 7:26 PM
A dollar a board foot for q-sawn sycamore is robbery!

Alex Shanku
01-05-2010, 8:05 PM
I made my tail vise from QS - syc.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Bench4.jpg

John Shuk
01-05-2010, 9:40 PM
Quartersawn Sycamore is a great secondary wood for the insides of drawers It was used that way for some years in American furniture.

Scott T Smith
01-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll tell the seller I need only quarter sawn.

Is a dollar a board foot about the right price?

Jim

For ANY QS wood, a buck a board foot is a STEAL - even if it's AD.

KD 4/4 QS sycamore sells for 3 - 4 bucks a bd ft and up, and that's "good guy" price!

jerry cousins
01-05-2010, 11:19 PM
here's a small entryway table - 1/4 sawn - then cut into veneers - 4 way bookmatch - with some marquetry. it really is nice wood - finishes great. jerry

Jim Eller
01-06-2010, 6:56 PM
I sure like the tiny little swirls in that stuff.

The guy I buy from sells me everything for $1.00 a board foot including walnut, white oak, sassafras, red oak, hard maple, etc. If I ask for quarter sawn he picks it out the best he can.

I just started buying from this source in the Knoxville area. If he's that good, I think I'll keep him happy.

Danny Hamsley
01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
here's a small entryway table - 1/4 sawn - then cut into veneers - 4 way bookmatch - with some marquetry. it really is nice wood - finishes great. jerry

Jerry, that is spectacular!

Roger Bullock
01-07-2010, 7:01 AM
Quarter sawn is the way to go, you will love the look. I've built several boxes using it and have got nothing but praise. My largest project was when I built our new house. We have mostly RO floors throughout but in the hallway I used two 4 inch RO, then outlined the hall with Paduck with the field in quarter sawn Sycamore.