PDA

View Full Version : New Laser up and running

Bill Blackwell
01-05-2010, 9:24 AM
Hello everyone

I have been lurking for some time and have learned much about lasers and Corel Draw from reading current and archived postings. Thanks for your generous sharing and support.

After a month of cabinet building, electrical wiring, duct work fabricating, trip after trip either up into the workshop attic or the lumber yard/hardware store/plumbing supply and back again suddenly everything was in place and the laser was ready. What now?

I reread the start up chapter in the owner's manual and using that as a check list started the laser and cut some samples. I was prepared for problems, but everything cut and engraved perfectly. Wow...

I have now moved on to producing finished samples for my client. I believe I'll knock his socks off. Design changes, adjustments, etc. are far easier and require much less time that previous methods. It's almost too easy. I am looking forward to the first production runs.

Bill B.
Epilog Mini 24, 35 watt

Dee Gallo
01-05-2010, 9:28 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Bill- nice to see someone new dive in and not hit a rock. What kind of work are you doing with your new toy? We'd love to see pictures if you have some!

cheers, dee

David Fairfield
01-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi Bill,

Welcome to lasering. I have the same model laser you do, but an older brother. Using it really is simple, if you follow the directions in the manual! You'll outgrow the manual soon enough. ;) :) :D

Dave

Gary Hair
01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
I believe I'll knock his socks off

With that attitude I'm sure you will!

Gary

Bob Tate
01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Now you walk around looking for things to Laser. Everything you see will become a "maybe I can laser that"! I think if affects everyone that way.

Bill Cunningham
01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
'And' as the old joke here goes, your cat is probably hiding already:D

Welcome..

Bill Blackwell
01-07-2010, 8:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I have a single OEM customer of many years standing. Primarily I will be cutting and engraving various hardwoods. Mostly small detailed filigree work and fine detail engraving. The laser will allow enhancements to a long standing product line. I work out of a small shop behind my home. I am exclusively OEM and have no plans or desire to solicit projects from the public.

I spent considerable time researching various CNC routing machines. They are highly capable. However, I concluded that for the small scale detail work I do the CNC routers could not compete with a laser.

Fortunately I started with extensive experience with Adobe Illustrator and even Apple's MacDraw. That has certainly given me a quick start with Corel Draw. Even so, I learn something new about Corel Draw every time I read your various postings. (Thank you for your generous help.) I often have to go back and try to figure out how I did something that I completed a day or two ago. I hope that gets better with practice.

BB

Bill Blackwell
01-07-2010, 9:01 PM
'And' as the old joke here goes, your cat is probably hiding already:D

Welcome..

I once knew a song about a Mister Johnny Verbeck and his wonderful sausage machine and how all the neighbor's cats and dogs would never be seen no more... Perhaps Mr. Verbeck has now become a laserhead.

Bill Cunningham
01-07-2010, 9:18 PM
Hmmmmm
http://www2.fundeposit.com/That%20wasn%27t%20chicken%20-%20fortune%20cookie.jpg

David Fairfield
01-07-2010, 10:03 PM
If you have extensive experience with Adobe, why are you using Corel in your Epilog? The more recent drivers run Adobe perfectly. I do all my laser work in Adobe.

Dave

Bill Blackwell
01-08-2010, 6:26 AM
If you have extensive experience with Adobe, why are you using Corel in your Epilog? The more recent drivers run Adobe perfectly. I do all my laser work in Adobe.

Dave

I used Illustrator prior to my retirement. All of that hardware and software was returned to my former employer. It was much out of date anyway. I am using Corel Draw in order to be compatible with my client and a large chunk of the rest of the world. Either Adobe or Corel would work fine. Corel Draw was available and already installed on the PC I have now. The graphics I require are pretty basic outline drawings. There is probably free software available that would work just as well.