PDA

View Full Version : Bailey-type planes with original tapered irons

James Taglienti
01-05-2010, 8:43 AM
I have recently come across 3 different planes factory made to fit tapered irons. I know of just a handful of companies who offered these for sale. Notable features include a longer yoke lever to reach into the lever cap (which looks no different than a bailey,) a longer lever cap screw, wider throats, and a tapered iron that is matched to the plane. Curiously two of them have steel adjusting wheels and other Stanley Defiance features. One shot here was an attempt to capture the longer yoke. Another is of two of the lever cap screws next to a normal one. Another photo is of 4 planes stacked up, with the second one down being a standard "thin iron" #3, the top being an Ohio #4, and the bottom two are defiance style #3's. All of these planes work wonderfully and will not chatter or dip into the wood like some other planes i own with standard irons. I know that Siegley (under Stanley) made tapered iron planes under the moniker STS. Also early Keen Kutter iron planes and a few very rare patented planes that we should probably not be using anymore. Any other information would be awesome.

David Gendron
01-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I guess now the option is thiker irons like most manufacturer like LN and LV offer tobe the equivalent in performence!

Sam Takeuchi
01-05-2010, 1:01 PM
Ever since I read a post in another forum where a poster modified a regular Bailey to fit tapered iron a couple of years ago, I've been wanting to do it as well. But I didn't know there were stock models with tapered iron. I was literally about to start collecting blades and planes to modify in the past few days, it's a pleasant surprise to see those. Maybe I should hunt for these instead of modifying one.

I've always been sucker for Berg blades. Not so much for chisels, but for some reason Berg blades have been something that stood out among the crowd of blades. Maybe it's that catchy logo.

James Taglienti
01-05-2010, 1:41 PM
It's good steel, and the shark is pretty sweet as well. Sam if you are in the market for a Bailey style that takes tapered irons i would recommend Ohio tool, the O4 i have is a delight. Just inspect the listings to make sure the iron is tapered- they made planes with straight irons as well. These Defiance type planes are sleepers and are very difficult to find, i have only seen a handful in about 4 years, and they all were #3's. I don't know if they were marketed as a scrub plane perhaps? Regardless, their most distinguishing feature is the "double-wide" mouth. Kind of like Steven Tyler?

Greg Lucas
01-05-2010, 3:47 PM
I just finished cleaning/tuning a Union 7 that had been sitting around for about 6 months. It doesn't have a tapered iron but it's a full 1/8" thick and the cap is also pretty hefty. Took quite a bit of work to get it singing. I had to work to get the frog to seat properly and discovered after many attempts that this plane just isn't made to have a tight mouth. The iron seems to sit on the mouth opening when the frog is moved to far forward. I have the bevel at around 32 degrees and I'm curious if a higher angle is normal for the tapered blades. I've also got a very nice Berg iron and cap that is tapered and might end up on this one. As it is, I was able to get a beautiful shiny finish on a piece of hickory with minimal if any tearout while also being able to get some very thick shavings with no chatter or other problems. Very nice.

http://jagacoustics.com/images/greg/union_7_1.jpg
http://jagacoustics.com/images/greg/union_7_2.jpg
http://jagacoustics.com/images/greg/union_7_3.jpg

Steve Clardy
01-05-2010, 6:46 PM
I restored a Revonoc [casted by Stanley] #5 1/2 C that came factory fitted with a massive tapered blade.
This is one of my most used bench planes.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=33415&d=1141753033

James Taglienti
01-05-2010, 6:51 PM
wanna trade it for a revonoc 5 1/2 smooth sole without a tapered blade??

Steve Clardy
01-05-2010, 6:55 PM
Nope. :D

Plane was pretty bad shape when I got it. Cheek rails chipped off, plenty of deep rust pits. So I stripped it and continue using it.
One of my best users.

Jim Holman
01-05-2010, 8:04 PM
I have an unrestored Ohio Tool 08 with a tapered iron. Very well made plane. The iron is over 1/8" at the thick end.

Sam Takeuchi
01-05-2010, 8:19 PM
I just looked up on eBay and found Ohio #3 with tapered blade, but it's BIN $75 and blade is really used up (more than your #4). If it had more meat on the blade, I'd have considered it, but for now I'll have to wait for a better deal.

James Taglienti
01-05-2010, 8:28 PM
Sam i think that you can probably find one for around 30-40 bucks if you watch for a week or so.