PDA

View Full Version : General Industrial Supply Web Site On

Ken Salisbury
03-28-2003, 9:05 PM
<p align="center">
General Industrial Supply has gotten their web site back up and running.

General Industrial Supply (http://www.generalindustrialsupp.com)

James O'Mara
03-28-2003, 9:30 PM
Unfortunately they no longer have prices.

Ken Garlock
03-28-2003, 9:43 PM
The current state of the GIS web site is shameful.:eek: I would guess that half of the links are invalid. If you want a Jet product, it is probably OK, but forget about prices. Many of the Powermatic links are broken and PerformaX just doesn't work. The only way to navigate the site is by the drop-downs at the top, forget about clicking on the brand you want on the home page.

I admit that it is Friday evening and people get tired on Friday, but GIS should have waited until next week/month when they had things working correctly rather than embarrassing themselves.

GOOD company:) , bad website:mad:

[rant off]

Ken Salisbury
03-28-2003, 10:03 PM
I haven't surfed it yet --- but I can tell you, if it has the problems you list Rick Warren (owner) will be a very unhappy man. I will pass your comments along to Rick (although he may read them here himself). I agree they shouldn't have turned it on until complete and all links verified. Maybe in a week or two they can get the bugs ironed out and especially get the pricing information there.

John Miliunas
03-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Really. I'm bummed. I was really looking forward to their "new and improved" site. Can't help but agree with James and Ken G. I work during the day and it's often hard to get a phone call out, hence I really depend on posted pricing on vendor sites. If I wanted descriptions and nothing more on the products they carry, I could easily get them in any number of places (usually with pricing!). Also, putting a site back online without testing links and such is not only shameful, but is very liable to turn perspective customers looking in a different direction. Granted, I already know they've had a decent track record in the past, so I *might* stick it out to see if this improves, but many newcomers won't bother adding it to their "Favorites" list and move on to a competitor. Heck, at this rate, they'd have been better off with a couple pages of informative description in plain text form *WITH* pricing. Sorry for the rant, by just my opinion. (...and we know what opinions are worth!) IMHO, it's almost, if not more, frustrating going to a site in that condition than one which simply notifies viewers that it's "under construction" and will be up by (insert date here). :(

Gary
03-29-2003, 5:29 AM
Monthes ago, right after GI introduced their 'new' website, I e-mailed them stating that while I liked their product lines and prices, especially their scratch and dent, I found the new site to be very disappointing and frustrating to navigate. I never recieved a reply, and although I hadn't asked for or expected one, it would have been good business practice to at least acknowledge. After that, I pretty much gave up on them as an internet source.

Following the recent thread about them and Ken's follow-up, I looked forward to their improved site, but the current effort is terrible. Links don't work, it offers a price search but doesn't deliver any, and there is NO mention of scratch and dent, which is something that many people (including myself) had really liked about them. In short, it is nowhere near the site they originally had before someone started meddling. (I know pretty much nothing about building a website, but honestly, my first thought was that some 'relative' had volunteered to build a 'great new website'.)

I don't know the people there and have no reason to assume that they are anything but very good to deal with; but unfortunately I won't find out through their website.

Give em hell Ken.

Gary

Glenn Clabo
03-29-2003, 6:22 AM
I really don't get it. Would a company put out a catalog with no prices and pages missing? Why do they treat the web any different? Amazing...

Mark Hulette
03-30-2003, 3:33 PM
to inquire about their Jet jointer stratch & dent stock. Talked to Rick (SUPER nice guy) and found out what I needed. Mentioned that I'd looked at the website but couldn't get any prices yet.

I've done business with them before and will probably do so again strictly based on their prior service/phone conversations. I'm close enough (<3 hour drive) to pick up orders in person so Rick said to give them a call ahead to let them know I'm on the way and they would pick out a good'un, clean it up and insure its ready to go. That will go a long way for my $$. Can't speak to unanswered emails-

Bartee Lamar
03-30-2003, 7:48 PM
I really hate web sites that do not work...... It is like feeling a piece of finished wood that is not smooth....

All of the Company Info links are NOT FOUND.

Ken, give the guy a call. He needs to find an new webmaster. I know some web people in Nashville if he needs some names...

Or heck, I'll bet there are 20+ web professional's on this list that would be gald to do professional job and need the work ( or just need WW tools ;) )

me included...

Keith Outten
03-31-2003, 1:48 PM
I know how frustrating it can be to visit a web site and find problems especially when the same site has been rated very highly in the past. Although I haven't visited the GIS site recently it is possible that they are moving to another host or transfering their web design responsibilities to a new web designer.

Geez! I'm surprised that you guys didn't think of SawMill Creeks sponsor (Hampton Roads Online) in the posts above. Thanks to everyone who reccomended us for the hosting/design work :) After all it is our hosting and design services that keep SawMill Creek online and free.