PDA

View Full Version : First large LED edge lit design

Zsolt Paul
01-05-2010, 2:08 AM
I've only done the edge lit signs a couple times before, but its always been photos. I had a lot more fun with this design and its BIG. Its 25" x 12". I was afraid to go taller than 12" for fear of light not reaching the top, but I think I could have gone higher even. This one is the multi colored one so the design had to fit the alternating colors. I figured the world map would look cool in varying colors. I painfully wrote all the country and ocean names in and even put some ocean floor elevation representation in there (well, my interpertation of it anyway) which gave it a nice flow instead of just empty space where the oceans would be.

My questions is this:
The .25 acrylic wobbles in the base. I got the bases from "decor and after". Some of you know that they come with these pins. I already figured out that I need to laser small holes for the pins and the pins go into the 2nd groove. I was also sent some spline material (similar to or (same as?) screen window splines). Does anyone know where this is supposed to go? It can't seem to go into the top (1st) groove, b/c its too tight. It can go into the 2nd groove, but that doesn't really improve on it b/c it doesn't provide enough pressure there, not to mention that that's where the pins have to slide into. Has anyone ever done this? I thought I had read about this a long time ago, but I can't find it now... Thanks!

Steve C Wallace
01-05-2010, 4:13 AM
Pull the acrylic back out and place the spline material in the upper (first groove) on the side that will be the back of your piece and then slide the acrylic back in. You will have to play with this a little bit but you'll get the hang of it and you'll have a nice tight fit. I originally used a little smaller diameter and placed it on both sides centering the acrylic in the groove. Watch when you drill the holes for the pins, if you get one over the LED it will cause a dark spot on the sign. I believe I used a 0.060 hole for the pin and pressed it in. Hope this helps...

Steve C Wallace
01-05-2010, 4:15 AM
Great work on the sign by the way!:):):)

pete hagan
01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Paul,

I use my laser for many different things including teaching science at the elementary school level (volunteer once a week). I would love to add your artwork on a led sign in my classrooms. Would you post the corel file?
Thanks!

Dee Gallo
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
That's a nice "sign", although I'd consider it an art piece as well as a science piece. I love the changing colors, it adds a lot of meaning to it, on several levels. The big size is great, how did you find the company to deal with? I have not gotten any bases from them, but am considering it for that large size.

Thanks for posting, dee

Steven Wallace
01-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Dee, I have been using Scott's bases for all my signs and he is great to work with. He is a member here and posted a thread. That is how I found him. He has a lot of his larger sizes on special right now.

AL Ursich
01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
I was looking at this site last night and it answered many questions I had about the bases. The Pin slot is pretty SLICK.... and it shows how to insert the rubber.

I wonder if the Extruded Aluminum is available is lengths along with the end caps, pins and rubber... I have the 3/8 inch wide LED tape that lets you cut off the LED's every 3. Found that on eBay under "Reel LED" search.

Slick idea... http://decorandafter.blogspot.com/

AL

Zsolt Paul
01-05-2010, 2:58 PM
That's a nice "sign", although I'd consider it an art piece as well as a science piece. I love the changing colors, it adds a lot of meaning to it, on several levels. The big size is great, how did you find the company to deal with? I have not gotten any bases from them, but am considering it for that large size.

Thanks for posting, dee

Dee, I found the company great to work with. Scott was very responsive regarding solving the wobble issue. Getting the spline into the top groove is not easy! When its in though, it works wonderful. I can't help to think that some sort of screw mechanism near the top of the base that could easily be adjusted for tension against the acrylic would be a much easier way to address this wobble issue. Thank you for your "art" comment. I "of course" , humbly agree !!

pete hagan
01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Would a screen spline roller possibly help in getting the rubber cord into the groove? You know, that roller tool you use to replace the screen material on your windows or sunrooms. Likewise, with the space where the cord eventually rests it could be easy to simply tap the cavity for a set screw or even slide a spacer into the area from the side.

I like the design but it appears that the base is painted versus anodized so you probably need to be careful not to chip the paint. I'm ordering a couple to try and will look at the design. Certainly the price is reasonable if you only need a few for a job. Having the die made for the extrusion alone is $2500 - $4000 USD not counting the cost of your initial run in raw material.

Zsolt Paul
01-06-2010, 1:23 AM
Yes, I think the roller would be a good tool to use for that.

Steven Wallace
01-06-2010, 1:27 AM
In my opinion, you won't have enough room for the spline roller.

AL Ursich
01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
A cheap source for the Spline is home Depot in the Window Screen Repair area.... Comes in a few thicknesses. OR the O' ring selection at Home Depot and just find one you like and cut it to length.

AL

Scott Balboa
01-06-2010, 1:08 PM
Very nice work! How often do the colors change on those bases? Is it constant or does it "hold" each color for a few seconds, then change?

Also, I'm assuming the differences in shading (between the countries) is using the grayscale technique, yes? Looks great.

Dan Hintz
01-06-2010, 1:19 PM
Scott,

I bet the "grayscale technique" you're talking about is the 3D scale that changes power based upon color. Zsolt will have the final say in this one, but it appears the countries use differing halftones to get their shades in this one, not depth.

Scott Balboa
01-06-2010, 1:40 PM
Dan,

Yeah, didn't think of that... I have yet to mess around with the 3D effect so don't recognize it when I see it! I'm glad you said "3D" today though, cause I need something fun to experiment with and have been putting it off for a rainy day, like today!

douglas rubio
01-06-2010, 1:43 PM
I was looking at this site last night and it answered many questions I had about the bases. The Pin slot is pretty SLICK.... and it shows how to insert the rubber.

I wonder if the Extruded Aluminum is available is lengths along with the end caps, pins and rubber... I have the 3/8 inch wide LED tape that lets you cut off the LED's every 3. Found that on eBay under "Reel LED" search.

Slick idea... http://decorandafter.blogspot.com/

AL

that is very interesting, thank you for the link

Zsolt Paul
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Yes, it was the "good ol' fashioned" halftone dithering (1 bit), not the "3D" power grayscale. I have actually been spending A LOT of time with the 3D graysclaing lately. Learning a lot. Mostly about how to make good files. Its a fun learning curve. It takes a long time to get the gradiency just right to produce the look I am looking for. I had never tried it on acrylic though...