PDA

View Full Version : Gnarly Redbud

Steve Mawson
01-04-2010, 10:19 PM
This bowl came out of a tree that had been mostly dead for two years. Cut it down this fall and ended up with this. Several cracks, punky spots and holes. Filled the holes and some cracks with Turquoise. Soaked in home made danish oil for 24 hrs then sprayed with lacquer. It got a little darker than I wanted in the oil, overnite would have been about right. About 6 x 2.5 in. Since the tree was in my oldest son's yard I guess he gets it although I am getting a little pressure from his mother for her to have it. Still have some pieces left so if the garage would warm up just a little there may be another one to come. Comments - suggestions welcome.

Baxter Smith
01-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Interesting piece. Do you know what kind of tree it was and since I am new here. What do you mean about filling with turquoise? I see it but...

Baxter Smith
01-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Now I see you named it in the title. The second question still hold though.:)

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Steve - the word gnarly really fits this bowl well! Really had a distressed feel about it - course I believe that is called character! I do like the inlay - the little color really adds to the piece!

David Christopher
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM

Baxter, you can crush turqoise and put it in a crack or hole with ca glue or epoxy and cut it level with your gouge or sand it smooth

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Great looking piece Steve. You are right that is a gnarly piece but turned out to be a beauty.

Steve Mawson
01-04-2010, 11:23 PM

I have some Turquoise that is about like sand. Picked up off the bay. I use thick super glue in the holes and cracks then sprinkle in the turquoise and let set up or use accelerator sometimes. About the only way to smooth off is by sanding, it is very hard but can be sanded down. Hope that helps.

Dick Strauss
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Steve,
You did well to get this piece completed. Redbud is one of the most beautiful woods I've seen but cracks faster than any wood I've worked. I assume it is because of the way the twisted trunks grow with many defects along the way. They must grow with all kinds of unusual stresses from twisting and defects.

Well done!

Baxter Smith
01-05-2010, 1:37 PM
Thanks Dave and Steve for the explanation. I promise to leave my wifes jewelry alone.:eek:

Aaron Wingert
01-05-2010, 2:45 PM
Baxter, coffee grounds are a cheaper (albeit less dramatic) alternative to turquoise for gap/crack filling.

Steve, that bowl makes me want to go out back and cut down one of my many redbud trees! Nice piece.

David E Keller
01-05-2010, 4:00 PM
Pretty cool. I love turning redbud, and I like the rich golden color it takes on after a while. I agree with the cracking issue, but it looks good filled as you can see.

Josiah Bartlett
01-05-2010, 7:51 PM
Steve,
You did well to get this piece completed. Redbud is one of the most beautiful woods I've seen but cracks faster than any wood I've worked. I assume it is because of the way the twisted trunk grows with many defects along the way. It must have all kinds of unusual stresses from the twisting and defects.

Well done!

That's not surprising considering the way it grows. The one I have in my yard kind of unrolls itself like a scroll as it gets bigger.