PDA

View Full Version : Block plane for under $100

scott vroom
01-04-2010, 9:45 PM
I want to buy my son a decent block plane for under $100. I was looking at the Stanley Sweetheart for $100. Anything less expensive looks cheap to me. Any opinions? I don't want to spend big money on an LN or Veritas....or do I:rolleyes:

Thanks-
Scott

David DeCristoforo
01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
How about under fifty bucks? Stanley 12-920. Before I got crazy and bought a really fine Japanese block plane (and later a LN), this was my "go to" small plane for many years.

scott spencer
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I've had several older Stanley and Record block planes that gave good results....all well < $100.

Russ Kay
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
You can get the Lie-Nielsen 102I low angle block plane (iron body) for $95. The bronze version was the first LN plane I ever bought, and it's still a honey and I use it somewhere on every project I do.

Danny Burns
01-04-2010, 10:57 PM
I want to buy my son a decent block plane for under $100.

Anything less expensive looks cheap to me. Any opinions? I don't want to spend big money on an LN or Veritas....or do I:rolleyes:

Iron Low Angle Block Plane (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=102#)
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=102

$95 for the iron version and it's a nice plane. Get the low angle version and an extra blade or two, so you can sharpen them at various angles for different wood cutting situations.

25 degrees for end-grain.
33 degrees for most wood cutting.
43 degrees for wilder grain cuts.

This way one plane becomes three. Not bad!

wayne Jepson
01-04-2010, 11:39 PM
My vote is for LV apron plane. It is a great little plane. I have the LN 103 as well, again great little plane.

Josiah Bartlett
01-05-2010, 1:25 AM
I want to buy my son a decent block plane for under $100. I was looking at the Stanley Sweetheart for $100. Anything less expensive looks cheap to me. Any opinions? I don't want to spend big money on an LN or Veritas....or do I:rolleyes:

Thanks-
Scott

Are you looking for a small one or one of the larger ones? The standard vintage Small Stanleys work well and are easy to find. I find that the older steel holds its edge better compared to most of the new ones unless you get the to the expensive ones. If he is actually using it on end grain this is important.

Chuck Tringo
01-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I would second the Stanley 920 over the new Sweethart, I own neither but Chris Swartz did a review of the new Sweethart line and wasn't impressed, and he did mention that his 920 had better tolerances as far as throat and square sides, etc. than the new SW. The best recommendation prolly is the LN 102 tho.

scott vroom
01-05-2010, 1:22 PM
Thanks all for your inputs! I ended up purchasing the Lie-Nielsen block plane for $95.