PDA

View Full Version : Low cost clamps

Jeff Wittrock
01-04-2010, 9:32 PM
I can never seem to keep enough clamps around. I started making these cheap homemade clamps when I needed to clamp laminations together while making some curved parts for chair legs.

Once the chair was done, the clamps just hung around and I find them more useful than I thought they would be. They certainly aren't as flexible or quick to use as hand screws type clamps, but they are very inexpensive and quick to make.

It was too cold in the shop this weekend to work on anything with much detail, so I took the time to make another batch of these.

I made these using 3/8-16X10" carriage bolts and made the jaws from 1-1/2" X 2" X10" SYP. Other hardwoods would probably be more suitable, but the SYP is inexpensive and I don't feel bad about modifying the jaws if I need to for "one-off" clamping needs.

The handles are just scaps of oak with a nut embedded in one side.

I don't bother with any finish, but do wipe them with some wax to help with glue removal. If they do become gummed up, they are quick to pull apart, and I can just plane a new, clean, clamping surface.

Total cost depends on the materials. I bought a bunch of carriage bolts for about $0.35 each, and the nuts and washers for pennies. The jaws were from a 2"X12"X10' of SYP for $7, and that can make a lot of jaws.
Now if you want to count man hours then forget it :). Go out and buy some hand screws instead. These are quick to make, but not that quick. I'm just cheap and don't mind working for free if the work is enjoyable.

Nothing innovative here. I'm sure many already make similar makeshift clamps without mention. I just thought others might find these simple clamps as useful as I have.

Chris S Anderson
01-04-2010, 9:55 PM
That's pretty cool. How are the bolts put into the base?

Jeff Wittrock
01-04-2010, 10:05 PM
That's pretty cool. How are the bolts put into the base?

Chris, I just drive the carriage bolts through a snug fitting hole in the lower (stationary) jaw. The square section of the carriage bolt gets driven into the wood and keeps them from spinning, at least I haven't had any spin yet. I imagine the fairly fine pitch of the carriage bolts (16) means there isn't much torque on the bolts to get a decent clamping pressure.

-Jeff

Jim Koepke
01-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Gosh, wish we could get SYP 2X12X10' here for $7.

That would be good for making a bench.

I have made similar clamps.

jim

Jon Toebbe
01-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Hey, now that's a pretty clever idea. I particularly like your notion of modifying them for one-off, special clamping jobs. A little work with a coping saw and a rasp and you could clamp together all kinds of oddball, curved shapes.