PDA

View Full Version : help with making a walking cane.

cody michael
01-04-2010, 9:01 PM
my grandpa wants a walking cane. i would like to make one on lathe. need help with handle and joint. should i make a recess in handle and spin stick part to same size and epoxy together? or better idea?

how should i make the long stick part? just smooth? i would like it to be fancier any pics of good ideas?

David E Keller
01-04-2010, 9:10 PM
Seems like there was a thread on this a little while back. I believe that it was suggested that a T-handle design was better because it put the center of the force over the cane itself. I think PSI and others sell kits for canes that include the tip and handle. Straight grained, strong wood recommended for obvious reasons. I would think there are a number of ways to link the cane to the hand piece... blind mortise, through mortise w/ or w/o wedge, etc. You could even start with a large single block and then turn the cane and carve the handle if you're so inclined.

Also, consider the height of the person using the cane when determining length.

Most here are more computer savvy than I am... I trust they'll post a link for you to the previous discussion. Pics of the finished project are all that's required.:D

David E Keller
01-04-2010, 9:14 PM
I found it

www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=127744&highlight=cane

cody michael
01-04-2010, 9:41 PM
ok, do most people just leave the shaft part straight or could i put some decoration to it any pics?

i have some walnut boards laying around will that be strong enough? how thick should i shoot for the cane to be?

David E Keller
01-04-2010, 10:28 PM
I see no reason that you couldn't decorate it, but I would make sure to leave the minimum thickness of the shaft at 7/8inch or so. The other thread I listed suggested that walnut might be too brittle, but I would think that a straight-grained piece of sufficient thickness would be reasonable. There are a few photos on the other thread but beyond that, I don't know of a source.

Paul Douglass
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Would straight grain yellowheart be good for a cane?

Matt Ranum
01-04-2010, 11:22 PM
I started that other thread and am working on it now. I'm working on the shaft so it is 7/8" at the base and maybe an inch at the top. I was planning on turning a tenon on the top end that would fit into a hole drilled in the bottom of the handle, glue, then pin it with a small dowel rod. Or drill a hole in both shaft and handle and make the joint with a solid dowel between them. The shaft I am making is cut to 29" and once you get below 1 1/8" there is a lot of give when putting tool to wood. A steady rest is really needed but I am just going to finish it to size with my hand tools.

Good luck with yours.