PDA

View Full Version : dewalt 18v xrp chuck replacement?

Brian Peters
01-04-2010, 8:55 PM
Has anyone changed the chucks on this drill? Mine is on its way out - the runout is pretty bad on it lately. Any special tools needed or can you just do the allen wrench method? Was checking out ereplacementparts website for the replacement chuck. I see that dewalt has a new style keyless chuck though. Thanks.

Dave Mendoza
01-04-2010, 9:36 PM
Go to the Jacobs web site. They have pictures on replacing your chuck. I only needed an allen wrench and a hammer to remove my chuck from my Dewalt. I went with a Jacobs brand chuck.

Brian Peters
01-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks, do you find that the Jacobs is better quality? My first thought was to just buy a replacement part of the same but at the same time I wouldn't mind spending more to get a better chuck that will last longer.

Tom Veatch
01-04-2010, 11:58 PM
That's a left hand thread, right?

Bob Wingard
01-05-2010, 12:32 AM
That's a left hand thread, right?

NO .. .. the chuck threads onto the spindle in the normal fashion .. BUT .. there will be a small screw holding the chuck to the spindle that IS a left hand thread. Open the jaws of the chuck all the way, and you should see the head of a screw looking up at you. THIS will be removed by turning clockwise. Once the screw is out, close the jaws around the short leg of an Allen wrench and rap it "smartly" whatever that means to you .. and the chuck should unscrew. I usually use the wooden handle of a hammer to smack the Allen wrench .. you want it to come off with 1 or 2 whacks .. don't beat it to death or you risk damaging the spindle and/or bearings. I use the biggest Allen wrench that will lock up in the jaws, so it has the most inertial energy from the whack !!

Tom Veatch
01-05-2010, 1:51 AM
NO .. .. the chuck threads onto the spindle in the normal fashion .. BUT .. there will be a small screw holding the chuck to the spindle that IS a left hand thread. ...

Thanks, Bob.

I've a new Jacobs chuck sitting on the shelf to replace one on my 18v DeWalt that's beginning to not want to stay tight. Looked in, saw the screw, looks like it's a star or Torx recess or some such and don't have a driver to fit. If/when I get one, I'll have to remember clockwise on the screw, counterclockwise on the chuck.