PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Bowl

MIKE E BEE
01-04-2010, 8:26 PM
Hey guys,

Here are some pics of my second bowl. This one started out a bit taller with a flare at the top but due to a slip of the chisel and a major chip out, I ended up with this design.

Thanks for all your comments on the first bowl. This is a fantastic forum. Also thanks for the advice on end sealing and drying too!

Mike

David E Keller
01-04-2010, 8:34 PM
Interesting shape. The layered effect of the lamination is interesting as well. Nice finish.

John Keeton
01-04-2010, 8:38 PM
Mike, you are picking up speed!! Pretty soon it will a bowl a day!

I notice that you are gluing up the blanks for the bowls - I guess from stock on hand. I would try to get the grain going the same direction on the glue ups - both as to direction and bark side vs. pith side. I think the end result will be more stable over time.

Otherwise, your glue seams could start to show when the wood moves. Probably not as much an issue on a thin side, but toward the bottom it could cause a problem.

I don't have any experience with this in turning (heck, I don't have any experience at all in turning!), but in flatwork this is something I try to watch.

Would be a shame to have a problem since you are doing such great work on these.

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2010, 8:38 PM
I agree it is a interesting shape. Well done.

gary Zimmel
01-04-2010, 9:01 PM
If I have a catch it's not a mistake.
It's a design opportunity....

Nice job on the second bowl Mike.

Baxter Smith
01-04-2010, 9:14 PM
Looks good. As a beginning turner I have found this site extremely helpful. Keep turning, keep posting and keep asking questions!

Thomas Canfield
01-04-2010, 9:17 PM
Mike,

Congratulation - you got a second bowl, good save. A member in my local club once stated during "Show & Tell" that what he was showing was his first bowl and 7th attempt. The first 6 were scattered across the shop where they had blown up, bottom turned out, or turned down to chips. Keep at it. You will find ways to improve your design and techniques as you make more.

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2010, 9:17 PM
Interesting form on this one Mike!

Couple of things - you can size your photos up to 800 x 600 pixels, file size less than 107 kb - and that way we could see a little more detail in what you are turning.

On your next bowl - no matter what shape you want to turn it - try to make a continuous curve from rim to foot - both inside and out. Takes a little practice but is generally considering more pleasing to the eye!

Have fun with your next turning!