PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Grizzly 6" jointers?

Tony Shea
01-04-2010, 8:14 PM
I just recieved my new Grizzly catologue (spelling?) and was looking at some jointers they have in it. I'm currently in the market for a reasonably priced jointer with a small footprint. I'm just a rookie weekend woodworker. I was amazed at some of the smaller Grizzly jointer's low prices, specifically the G0654 or the G0452. Has anyone had any experience with these two models? What kind of quality can I expect out of either of these jointers? Or should I stick with my original choice which was the Ridgid model?

Dennis Ford
01-04-2010, 8:25 PM
They look very similar to the one I have had for many years. The switch that stands above one model would get in the way in my shop. I don't have exactly the same model but am very happy with mine.

Shawn Christ
01-04-2010, 9:17 PM
We bought my dad the Grizzly G0452 6" jointer for Christmas 2 years ago (at the time it was only $325 + freight). Cabinet stand, dust collection, and built-in mobile base. He seems to be very pleased with it. I would buy one if I had room in my shop. Plus, Grizzly's customer service is outstanding.

That said, I've heard good things about the Rigid machine on these forums as well.

Danny Burns
01-04-2010, 11:14 PM
If you are doing work in an area where noise is a problem, then consider looking at the carbide spiral cutting-heads. They are a nice feature, and Grizzly has a good price on them.

Harold Burrell
01-04-2010, 11:44 PM
I own the G0452. While I was looking to buy, I looked at the ridgid as well. I, personally, thought the Grizzly was more solidly built.

I am happy with it.

george wilson
01-04-2010, 11:50 PM
They are fine,though I am sure that the overhead switches so often seen would get in the way on an angled cut,unless the switch also tilts. My Bridgewood 8" doesn't have that switch.

Tony Shea
01-05-2010, 5:24 PM
I'm not real sure what kind of HP would be reasonable for a 6" jointer. If I wanted to face joint 6" hardwoods would a 1hp buzz through something like that. I just have no comparison for jointer motors and what to expect with quality of cut with something in the 1hp range. Seems kind of low when compared to a table saw motor, but that's probably like comparing apples to oranges.

Dennis Ford
01-05-2010, 7:35 PM
1 hp is adequate as long as the blades are sharp.

Tony Shea
01-05-2010, 7:38 PM
Thanks Dennis.