PDA

View Full Version : One more dumb question . . .

Randall Clark
01-04-2010, 5:54 PM
I purchased a plasma tv for Christmas, and I was wondering if anyone has attempted to build a telescoping or "moving away from the wall" tv mount? The cheapest I have seen in $190.00; the best i've seen is about $300.00.

Bill Huber
01-04-2010, 5:58 PM
Do you want one that moves all around and tilts?

I have a 50 inch and got a good wall mount that just tilts for $75 on line.

David DeCristoforo
01-04-2010, 8:11 PM
Don't mess around. Get the steel mount. This is one of those times when wood might not be the best choice. Spend your time making a nice table or something...

Justin Freund
01-04-2010, 8:39 PM
I built a sort of swing arm for my 22" computer monitor. It was made of 3/16" steel and 1/8" thick industrial ball bearing hinges with 5/16" pins. It twisted the steel and pulled apart the hinges (not permanently, but the weight at 24 odd inches extended was just too much). With all the work I put into it trying to fix it, trust me when I say its worth the investment, especially for a big heavy plasma.

Shawn Christ
01-04-2010, 9:04 PM
I built a stand for my 46" plasma. Wouldn't mess with building a mount... those things are too heavy.

When I was looking for a heavy duty mount for my 26" LCD for my travel trailer, I found one at partsexpress.com. Very reasonable prices at the time.

Randall Clark
01-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Sooooo . . . it was a dumb question. I don't need a tilt as much as it needs to come away from the wall on the right.

Randal Stevenson
01-05-2010, 1:41 AM
Sooooo . . . it was a dumb question. I don't need a tilt as much as it needs to come away from the wall on the right.

A shelf perhaps?

This is one of those if you build it, I would think of welding it up out of steel things.

Steve Thomas
01-05-2010, 5:22 AM
turning / swivel,
don't make it, I'm not sure what you paid for the TV but there pretty heavy things, and $300 for a job well done is worth it on a $1000+ TV

Jeff Huettner
01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I purchased a plasma tv for Christmas, and I was wondering if anyone has attempted to build a telescoping or "moving away from the wall" tv mount? The cheapest I have seen in $190.00; the best i've seen is about $300.00.

Check monoprice.com - lots of options for <$100 (some <$50, depending on the TV size).

No affiliation beyond being a happy customer.

Van Huskey
01-06-2010, 4:14 AM
Athough I love Monoprice and have 4 of their mounts in use and several more in friend's homes, the consensus on the home theater forums is that the tilt/swivel mounts are just not beefy enough. I haven't heard of a failure but several have taken them down since they did not want to risk their TV/pet/child. The flat and tilt only mounts are great and extemely inexpensive.