PDA

View Full Version : Silly question – drawer runners

Bruce Page
01-04-2010, 5:20 PM
I’m making some traditional drawer runners out of maple. Should the drawer ride on the edge grain (as from the edge of a rift sawn board) of the runner or on the flat grain? I’m thinking edge grain.

What say ye?

Bruce

Laurie Brown
01-04-2010, 5:21 PM
I would think there would be more friction with end grain, wouldn't there?

Joe Scharle
01-04-2010, 5:23 PM
I run them on the long grain; end grain being problematic for this purpose.

Bruce Page
01-04-2010, 5:30 PM
I was thinking that the end grain would be harder and wear better.

Stephen Edwards
01-04-2010, 5:45 PM
I was thinking that the end grain would be harder and wear better.

Just to be sure that I understand you: When I think of end grain I'm thinking of the grain that I see when looking at the very end of a board, the end of a cross cut.

As Joe says, an end grain runner would be problematic, IMO.

I always make my drawer runners parallel with the grain of the board from which the runners are cut.

Bruce Page
01-04-2010, 5:48 PM
Just to be sure that I understand you: When I think of end grain I'm thinking of the grain that I see when looking at the very end of a board, the end of a cross cut.

As Joe says, an end grain runner would be problematic, IMO.

I always make my drawer runners parallel with the grain of the board from which the runners are cut.

Duh, not end grain :o. I should have said edge grain as from a rift sawn board.

I'll edit my OP...

Stephen Edwards
01-04-2010, 6:00 PM
Duh, not end grain :o. I should have said edge grain as from a rift sawn board.

I'll edit my OP...

I thought that's what you meant to say:). I would think that you'd have less vertical movement of the runner, if the slot in which it rides is a nice fit, if you make the runners so that the face grain is what is facing the drawer side. Honestly, I've never given it much thought before.