PDA

View Full Version : Flame Polisher Help

Joshua Perelman
01-04-2010, 4:44 PM
Hi all,

I got my flame polisher today (thanks cliff). The instructions are a little confusing. I filled the alcohol container with Heet up to the red line as someone suggested. I filled the water tank up with distilled water to the red line. I turned the machine on and waited until the pressure meter got up to .15 MPs. The green light turned off. I opened the knob on the nozzle and tried to light the gas that was spitting out. No luck and then I lost pressure. Couple of questions:

1) What is the difference between 1 and 2 on the power switch? Obviously 0 turns the machine off?
2) What is in the white bottle? And is that supposed to go into the water tank with the distilled water to make the "special solution"? If so, how much?

Don't know if anyone has got their machines working yet but any help....would be a big help.

Thanks,

Josh
Trophy Mart

George Brown
01-04-2010, 6:09 PM
The white bottle contains potassium (or sodium) hydroxide. You measure out 500 ml of water and add slowly 150 grams of the stuff in the white bottle. Stir to dissolve, wear goggles, stuff is nasty if it splashes in your eyes, ie you will probably go blind. The water gets very hot, just do it slowly. DO NOT add water to the crystals, add crystals to the water.

The switch controls the current, leave it at 1. The instructions say to keep the current at around 100 milliamps (100 on the display). Switching to 2 increases the current, it might be detrimental to the machine.

A setting of 1 produces enough gas to run the flame constantly.

donald bugansky
01-04-2010, 8:44 PM
For clarity,

1) When do you add "special mix solution" to the main tank (after initial installation) versus just adding distilled water? (a.k.a - How do you know when to perform this "special mix solution" step?) Eventually the caustic solution has to "fizzle out", right? Would think that it needs "recharged" at some point but uncertain as to when.

2) When performing step 1 (after initial installation), what do you do? Do you dump out what is in the tank and install new special mix solution or just add additional special mix solution to what is already in the tank? Somewhat confused on proper procedure since this is caustic.

Thanks,

Bugs

Joshua Perelman
01-04-2010, 9:09 PM
and where did you find out this information? Is there a missing manual or a dummies guide? And how do I get the water out once it is already in there?

George, thanks for your reply to this.

George Brown
01-04-2010, 9:14 PM
and where did you find out this information? Is there a missing manual or a dummies guide? And how do I get the water out once it is already in there?

George, thanks for your reply to this.

1. it is in the guide (see attachment)

2. turn it upside down and pour it out (don't forget to remove the tube with the alcohol in it first though)

Dan Hintz
01-05-2010, 6:34 AM
The NaOH is unused in the reaction, so top it off with water.

Joshua Perelman
01-05-2010, 10:12 AM
It's amazing to see what happens when one follow directions.:rolleyes: Thanks. I got a nice blue flame and pseudo smooth edge.

George Brown
01-05-2010, 1:13 PM
It's amazing to see what happens when one follow directions.:rolleyes: Thanks. I got a nice blue flame and pseudo smooth edge.

Directions, who needs stinkin directions! :D

Mark Winlund
01-05-2010, 1:15 PM
Also, don't use a plastic spoon or plastic container when mixing the white powder. It will melt! Use a pyrex kitchen measuring cup... a quart size will do nicely. (guess how I know!) The 150 grams is a little harder... it requires a scale. If you have a postal scale, it equals approximately 5 1/2 ounces. To see how much alcohol, make a dip stick out of a piece of thin dowel. The amount is not critical; about a inch on the dowel.

Watch out for the flame... it extends out about 6 inches and is totally invisible past the first inch. It will melt a paper clip white hot in a couple of seconds. Thin welders gloves (TIG gloves) come in real handy here.

I would also recommend making a torch holder so that you can put it down while it is still running. Be sure that the holder will not allow the flame to hit anything combustible. Sheet metal would be advisable.

I have been using a stove lighter to ignite the torch... usually available in the dollar stores for a buck.

The bigger tip (number 4) works the fastest. Practice a lot. It takes some skill to use it.

Mark

George Brown
01-05-2010, 1:26 PM
It will melt a paper clip white hot in a couple of seconds.

You tried that too! :D

AL Ursich
01-05-2010, 6:55 PM
This is a good deal of GREAT info... I was in on the first buy but it is still in the box.... Too many toys... Not enough time...

AL