PDA

View Full Version : SMC Chapters

Tom Henry
01-04-2010, 4:03 PM
I wanted to know if there was any past discussions around having local SMC woodworking chapters/clubs? I think it would be a great idea and many of us here at the Creek have visited other Creeker’s while on our travels.

Lee Schierer
01-04-2010, 4:10 PM
There have been several picnics in the summer months around the country where SMC and Woodcentral members have met. All it takes is an interested person to announce a picnic well in advance and have the space for people to come. Usually every one brings something to eat and share and various demonstrations are set up, usually wood turning. We've had hand plane contests for who can cut the longest thinnest continuous shaving.

Tom Henry
01-04-2010, 8:41 PM
I am surprised that this thread didn't start much of a conversation. I thought that it would be great to have local SMC chapters that could get together and organize events.

Ben Martin
01-04-2010, 9:18 PM
I am surprised that this thread didn't start much of a conversation. I thought that it would be great to have local SMC chapters that could get together and organize events.

I asked a question about this a while back on the Support forum, but was asking about having specific local forums. The response was that there are some but not a lot, if you go to the top and under "Community" there is a social groups tab.

(I know this isn't exactly what you were asking, but along the same lines...)

Narayan Nayar
01-04-2010, 9:34 PM
I've tried organizing a local SMC get-together before and my thread got moved to the off-topic forum. I think local chapters are a great idea but clearly you'll have to work something out with the mods to avoid the same experience I had.

Paul Ryan
01-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Do you mean a local chapter of SMC, like the hells angles. Do we get colors and stuff. I need a vest.

Tom Henry
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Do you mean a local chapter of SMC, like the hells angles. Do we get colors and stuff. I need a vest.

Now that is funny!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2010, 10:25 PM
I've tried organizing a local SMC get-together before and my thread got moved to the off-topic forum (which is another way of saying the get-together was moderated out of existence :) ).

I think local chapters are a great idea but clearly you'll have to work something out with the mods to avoid the same experience I had.

No offense.

We have nothing against Creekers getting together.

This thread has nothing to do with woodworking or power tools and it like the one Narayan refers to...belongs in the Off Topic Forum.

Narayan...did it ever occur to you that maybe the reason nothing happened wasn't because it got moved but because people weren't interested. Cheap shot my friend.

Pat Zabrocki
01-04-2010, 10:41 PM

There ya go, and if you want to be a 1%er you have to cut off SOMEBODY ELSES finger, not your own. ;) There will be no killing this is a respectible forum :D

cheers
Pat

BTW, Paul, what do you ride. I've got an 09 Ultra Classic, an 08 Rocker C and 07 Springer Classic..... stealth gloat I guess

Tom Henry
01-04-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't care what part of the forum it is in. I just thought it would be a cool idea to have local SMC groups that can tie together this forum to something outside typing and posting pictures.

Narayan Nayar
01-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Narayan...did it ever occur to you that maybe the reason nothing happened wasn't because it got moved but because people weren't interested. Cheap shot my friend.

Ken,

I can't, of course, govern your expectations, but in your use of the term "cheap shot" I think you took offense where none was intended. My post had nothing to do with mods as people (so it's hard for me to see how it constitutes a cheap shot), it had to do with moderation, and I think I stated the circumstances pretty objectively.

It's hard to say whether or not anyone was interested in the get-together...the thread wasn't in the forum for long before it got moved. But it's really hard for me to believe that in an area as densely populated as the SF Bay Area, there isn't enough critical mass in the SMC ranks to warrant a get-together. I've attended several from other forums.

But it goes without saying that the General Woodworking and Power Tools forum is where an overwhelming majority of SMC traffic exists. And as such, in garnering support for a get together, it seemed like the natural place to post. Mods have to be aware of the fact that moving a thread like that to the lumber yard or off-topic or whatever is more or less moving it off the map for the masses. And though I found that a little disheartening, in no way did it ruin my day. I did, after all, continue to be a contributor.

Anyway, the intent in my earlier post was to convey my experience, perhaps as advice, to the OP.

Sorry you took any of that as a cheap shot, Ken. If my intentions are still not clear, feel free to follow up with me in PM.

Paul Ryan
01-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Pat,

I ride a 05 road king classic. I bought it new in 05. Almost traded it for a 09 springer this year. But I love the cruise on it and you can't put harley electronic cruise on a softail. I also though about a ultra classic but my wife doesn't ride with me anymore since the kids came along so no need for the real 2 up bike. And in the end I just couldn't justify it. The 1550 motor and 6 speed tranny would be nice but I have a stage II in mine right now so I would actually loose a few HP. And my riding time has been cut drastically due to my kids. So no trade this year, and probably next year.

I will have to get rid of my sawstop if I want to be a 1%er.:D

Sam Layton
01-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Tom, I think it is a great idea. I wish more people felt as you do.

Sam

Narayan Nayar
01-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Sorry for the detour above.

Let me echo Sam. I think it's a good idea too.

Keith Outten
01-05-2010, 7:05 AM
You can understand that everyone who wants to make an announcement prefers to do it in the General Woodworking Forum because of the traffic. The problem for us is that the GWWF can get inundated with announcement threads that are time sensitive and once the event is over it is just another thread that has no archive value.

People search our Forums for woodworking information every day and they don't want to have to wade through thousands of threads/posts of events that happened four years ago. If we didn't archive information it wouldn't matter, some web sites delete all posts that are 30 days old......we don't.

Make no mistake about it we are Pro-SawMill Creek in every way and we will support any event this Community feels is warranted. If you want to sponsor a get together talk to one of our Moderators or me if you like and arrange for your thread to be stuck at the top of the GWW forum. When the event is over the thread can be moved to the off-topic forum or deleted.

Hosting an event can take long hours and lots of planning. The expense is another issue that you must consider. The rewards can be many and you would be surprised at how much support you can get from manufacturers if you are willing to make an effort. Jackie and I hosted a SawMill Creek Swap Meet several years ago. We contacted a lot of vendors and asked them to donate a door prize, they were more than willing. Everyone who attended our event went home with a prize, some were very expensive items and at the very least we gave those who didn't win a drawing Corian cutting boards that we were making as a CNC Router demonstration during the event.

If you host it they will come :)

I moved this thread to the off topic forum this morning, however I did leave a redirect in the GWWF for one week.

It requires a major effort by a group of unpaid volunteers to manage SawMill Creek. To say that it isn't easy is in understatement, there is more going on behind the scenes than most can imagine. Countless hours of hard work, dedication and a major financial investment are required to make this site available for everyone to enjoy, keep things organized and fend off those who are less than friendly. This is why I don't allow anyone to criticize any member of our Staff publicly. Even if they make a mistake they try their best, we can't expect any more from them and they deserve the respect of their peers. Please don't criticize those who work for you for free.

Rod Sheridan
01-05-2010, 9:04 AM
Narayan, I belong to a Canadian wood working forum and we have regional events such as breakfast in Ajax, coffee night in Brantford etc.

Those events are nice, since you can meet some of your virtual friends.

I'm all in favour of that, however I'm not in favour of another forum classification I have to wade through to read posts by local wood workers.

I guess in that case, a heading called "Local Events" may be good to simply post announcements about events, no discussion allowed.

That way I coule easily find the event, and not have to read local forums for discussions.

regards, Rod.

Mitchell Andrus
01-05-2010, 9:37 AM

We'll need to have a tattoo designed.

Chris Padilla
01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Tattoo discussions will need to go in the OT forum, Mitchell! ;) hahaha

Dick Strauss
01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Rod,
That is a good idea! We could have folks send PM's to let the OP-er know who can and can't make it to the gathering.

Chris Padilla
01-05-2010, 4:56 PM
Sorry for the detour above.

Let me echo Sam. I think it's a good idea too.

Well, I nominate you the "Godfather" of the SBA (South Bay Area) SMC clan!! :D The SBASMCC...hmmmm.....

I know a few locals who would attend.

Rick Potter
01-06-2010, 1:53 AM
I'm interested. I know there are several people in my general area.

Rick Potter

Sam Layton
01-06-2010, 1:05 PM
I'm interested, I'm in Ricks general area...

Sam

Dennis Peacock
01-06-2010, 6:03 PM
You can always post an announcement of your gathering in the SMC Calendar Of Events. Like the OT Forum section, the Calendar here on SMC doesn't get a lot of use because it's not a high traffic area.

The problem is education of how to best use SMC and it's resources as a tool to not only learn or share WW info with, but to organize SMC/Woodworking gatherings in your local area.

Terry Hatfield and I used to organize a South-Central Woodworkers BBQ/Gathering every year and we'd have turning demos, discuss various topics, setup a Show-N-Tell for each person coming to the BBQ, gave away door prizes (we paid for the prizes out of our own pockets at times), we had a famous woodworking author come and display his work and talk about woodworking techniques as well as being able to purchase his books right there on the spot. We never charged for food or anything else, but we did have a box set aside for those that wanted to contribute to the expenses of the gathering hosted at Terry's home in Springdale, AR.

We had people show up from surrounding states and even Chris Padilla honored us with his presence all the way from California and one of the BBQ gatherings. But like Keith mentioned, they are GREAT to have and can be extremely time consuming and expensive to the host(s) of the event. The pay off is very well worth it as you will develop friends and learn things that you would not have ever developed or learned without the gathering. Shoot, I learned how to turn pens (taught to me by the late Ken Salisbury). Even today, Terry Hatfield and I are the best of friends and even though we live 3 hours apart, we remain in contact with each other from time to time and the friendship lives on.

Go for it..!!!!! You Will do more than one.!!!!! :D