PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone engraved on eyeglass cases?

Dee Gallo
01-04-2010, 2:28 PM
I realized we have umpteen hard eyeglass cases collected over the years which are nice and blank...but what are they covered with? Some kind of faux leather material, I am hoping it's poly-something and not PVC-something.

I use one of these for traveling, to hold small things and thought it might be a good small gift to make for other people as well as a personalized safe for glasses. They are very well made and the ones I have are green, blue, black and maroon.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone had already done this and if the material is like pleather or what?

Thanks, dee

Gary Hair
01-04-2010, 2:35 PM
Chances are pretty good that it's vinyl. You can do a burn test to be sure. I can't tell you the exact steps, but I think I saw the info here somewhere, if not then it was on the web somewhere. Sorry for being so vague, but that's all I know...

Gary

James Jaragosky
01-04-2010, 2:41 PM
Chances are pretty good that it's vinyl. You can do a burn test to be sure. I can't tell you the exact steps, but I think I saw the info here somewhere, if not then it was on the web somewhere. Sorry for being so vague, but that's all I know...

Gary
Dee Great Idea.
I am sure that each one will be different depending on who manufactured it.
The burn test that Gary spoke of seems the safe way to go.

Dan Hintz
01-04-2010, 2:47 PM
I have to agree with Gary... most likely vinyl.

Bill Cunningham
01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
The burn test is done by heating the end of a safety pin and melting a little glob of the stuff on the end.. Then stick it in a flame. If you see 'green' in the flame it's PVC

Mike Christen
01-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I have read to use a copper wire and do the same as Bill has stated. Not sure if the type of metal has anything to do with the results. I used the copper wire test as explained on a piece of pvc pipe and sure enough there was no mistaking the green flame. Other plastics i tested had an orange flame. From what I understand is that if there is a hint of green it has some PVC.

Chuck Stone
01-06-2010, 3:22 PM
Would the copper wire cause the flame to burn green?

Dee Gallo
01-07-2010, 9:13 AM
I did a small test: the flame was fast and yellow, but there was a tiny burst of green at the beginning... does this mean anything to anyone? Shall I assume the green means NO DON'T USE IT?

Thanks, dee

Margaret Turco
01-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Yellow with a green burst means DO NOT USE IT according to this http://www.boedeker.com/burntest.htm

Dee Gallo
01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks Margaret, that is a handy chart which I have now printed out and posted on my studio wall.

:) dee