PDA

View Full Version : Jet drum sander questions

Frank Martin
01-04-2010, 1:56 PM
I have never had or used a drum sander before. I am planning to get a Jet 22-44 drum sander and trying to decide between the oscillating and non-osciallting versions. The oscillating is about 50% more than the non-osciallting version.

I have a sprial head jointer/planer and my main use will be sanding furniture and cabinet parts with lost of frame and panel kitchen doors coming up.

My main question is for the oscillating version, is there still need for final ROS sanding? Alternatively, with the non-oscillating version is the final ROS sanding just quick couple swipes or does it leave the surface with enough scratches one would need serious ROS sanding to remove?

I did search the forum, found lost of related useful information, but still insterested in finding out the surface finish difference between the two machines.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce Page
01-04-2010, 3:18 PM
Doing a quick look around on the web I saw a $700 price difference between the two. I would love to have the oscillating feature on my Woodmaster but I don’t think I would pay that much of a premium for it.

jason lambert
01-04-2010, 3:53 PM
It will help with the final sanding not as many deep grooves but not elimate it. Depends alot also if you are sanding cross grain that is where it really shines.

Frank Martin
01-04-2010, 5:32 PM
Jason, thanks for the response. Do you have the machine with osciallation? Do you mean that the oscillating version will not leave scratches even when sanding cross grain? If that is the case, I am willing to spend the extra to get it.

It will help with the final sanding not as many deep grooves but not elimate it. Depends alot also if you are sanding cross grain that is where it really shines.