PDA

View Full Version : A note about fellow turner Nate Hawkes and another warning

Hilel Salomon
01-04-2010, 1:38 PM
I don't think that Nate will be on the internet any time soon, so I thought I'd let you folks know that Nate had a bad accident on his table saw. He cut himself very badly and , while he won't lost any fingers, he will have a hard time using the knuckle of his middle index finger. He'll also be out of turning for about a month.
I know that many of you will want to wish him well.
Regards All,

Hilel.

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2010, 1:43 PM
Nate - extremely sorry to hear of the mishap! Heal totally and quickly!

Ted Calver
01-04-2010, 1:48 PM
Hilel, Please give Nate our best wishes for a fast and full recovery

Doug W Swanson
01-04-2010, 2:40 PM
I'm new here so I don't know who Nate is but that sucks. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Doug

Mauricio Ulloa
01-04-2010, 2:46 PM
Best wishes for him. This is one of the worst nightmares for me and for many woodworkers.... Hope he gets better soon and it's great that he didn't loose any body parts.

David E Keller
01-04-2010, 4:09 PM
Get well soon, Nate.

Sean Hughto
01-04-2010, 4:13 PM
Sorry to hear about this. Nate, heal up quick and hang in there.

Paul Douglass
01-04-2010, 4:20 PM
WOW! Hoping for a speedi recovery. About 2 months ago I took off about 1/8" of a finger doing a stupid. I was very lucky to get a reminder that little of a reminder of how dangerous those saws are.

Roger Bullock
01-04-2010, 4:29 PM
Wishing him a speedy and full recovery. I as well as a lot of woodworkers spend a lot of time alone in our shops, bad place for a serious accident. Here's hoping everyone a safe woodworking in this new year.

Alan Trout
01-04-2010, 5:11 PM
Nate,

Having partially severed my middle finger on my right hand and severed the nerve on my index finger on my right hand on my 12" jointer in September of 08'. I can understand what it feels like and wish you a speedy and as full as possible recovery. While my finger is a bit shorter and really don't have any feeling in the ends of those two fingers I count myself very lucky that I did not loose my entire finger or hand for that matter. I am sure you feel the same way.

I however did get back on that horse. The next day after the accident I used my jointer. I never knew that there were so many different ways to call someone stupid but my wife did figure at least a dozen ways. :D

Good luck and get better soon.

Alan

Rob Cunningham
01-04-2010, 6:06 PM
Sorry to hear about Nate's accident. Wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

curtis rosche
01-04-2010, 6:27 PM
so hes another one to join our under ten finger club... i was wondering who would be the next to join me :)
hope he regains full movement of that knuckle.

Allen Neighbors
01-04-2010, 7:03 PM
I wish you well, Nate, and a rapid, painless recovery.

Richard Madison
01-04-2010, 7:40 PM
He may not have wanted us to know about it. Oops, too late. Anyhow, best wishes to Nate for best and fastest possible recovery.

Todd Trebuna
01-04-2010, 8:09 PM
Perils of the craft. Ask how many cops have killed their ovens or floors. If you work with it long enough, it'll be close.
Prayers to Nate for a quick and full recovery.

art san jr
01-04-2010, 8:17 PM
So sorry to hear, woodworking, perhaps the most dangerous hobby. We just can't be too careful.

Wish him speedy recovery.

Art.

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2010, 8:49 PM
Sorry to hear about the mishap Nate. Just know our prayers are with you. Heal quickly.

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't know Nate, but wish him well.

For me, the Saw Stop table saw is one of the best inventions in the last 50 years.

Joe Adams
01-04-2010, 11:56 PM
It may not be cool and it may even be a PITA sometimes but I use the guard on my tablesaw for everything but dado cuts. Here's wishing Nate a speedy recovery!

Billy Tallant
01-05-2010, 2:04 AM
Prayers are with you Nate. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dan Forman
01-05-2010, 5:07 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dan

Jeff Nicol
01-05-2010, 7:23 AM
Thanks Hilel for the info on Nate, we all have had painful mistakes but with the power tools they get real bad real fast!

Heal up fast Nate and stay positive, we all have you in our thoughts.

Jeff

Tim Self
01-05-2010, 8:04 AM
Prayers for a speedy recovery and glad it wasn't worse than that.

ROY DICK
01-05-2010, 8:10 AM
I join the others in wishing you the best Nate.

Roy

Barry Richardson
01-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I did some wood swaps with Nate a while back, he seemed like a real "stand up" guy. Sorry to hear about his accident, hope it doesn't curb his enthusiasm for woodworking.

charlie knighton
01-05-2010, 10:34 AM
sorry to hear about it Nate, i hate power saws, i will use a chainsaw when i have to

Terry Murphy
01-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Get well soon!

Terry

Steve Clardy
01-05-2010, 7:04 PM
Speedy recovery Nate.

Nathan Hawkes
01-05-2010, 7:39 PM
thanks for the kind words, folks. I went in for a dressing change and checkup on it today, as the pain really increased from swelling. I'm scheduled for thursday morning surgery, which won't come soon enough. I'm a little nervous about going under anesthesia, but the surgeon is great and has operated on a couple family members and a good friend who is an artist, all of whom had better than expected outcomes! Until then, percocet only dulls the pain; it doesn't take it away completely. Once I get back on my feet a bit I'll post the xrays; pretty scary. There must be 30 stitches in it just as a temporary closure until the orthopedic repair coming up. Lots of screws & pins in my future.....

Be careful folks; a lot can happen in a split second. I was using a pushblock, and sure didn't think I was being careless when it happened. Boy was I wrong. Updates to come after surgery.

Troy Cleckler
01-05-2010, 7:46 PM
Nate, I join the other members in wishing you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Hang in there!

George Morris
01-05-2010, 8:55 PM
Nate Get well soon!!G

Richard Coers
01-05-2010, 9:24 PM
A new member here, but not new to having 9 3/4 fingers. Cut out a knuckle in 1983. Still remember the injury and 2 surgeries like it was yesterday. Listen to the Dr., and take your time getting back in the shop. Best of luck, hang in there.

Bill Neff
01-05-2010, 9:30 PM
Hope all goes well with the surgery & a speedy recovery. I've had a couple of run ins with the table saw (25 years apart) and luckily only a few stitches both times.

Bill

John Merc
01-05-2010, 9:35 PM
Get well soon Nate. Sorry to hear about your accident.

John

Toney Robertson
01-05-2010, 10:23 PM
thanks for the kind words, folks. I went in for a dressing change and checkup on it today, as the pain really increased from swelling. I'm scheduled for thursday morning surgery, which won't come soon enough. I'm a little nervous about going under anesthesia, but the surgeon is great and has operated on a couple family members and a good friend who is an artist, all of whom had better than expected outcomes! Until then, percocet only dulls the pain; it doesn't take it away completely. Once I get back on my feet a bit I'll post the xrays; pretty scary. There must be 30 stitches in it just as a temporary closure until the orthopedic repair coming up. Lots of screws & pins in my future.....

Be careful folks; a lot can happen in a split second. I was using a pushblock, and sure didn't think I was being careless when it happened. Boy was I wrong. Updates to come after surgery.

A speedy recovery to you.

Even though getting put under is nothing to sneeze at, take it from someone that has been put under more times than I know, it is a walk in the park now days.

Now if you were talking about when they used ether, that is a whole different kettle of fish. I had problems with that stuff.

Remember, all you have to do is lay there!! :D

Toney

Tom Giacomo
01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I think all of us who work with power tools have that fear in the back of our minds. Good luck Nate.

Paul Gallian
01-06-2010, 1:10 AM
Prayers for you and the medical care people!

Harvey Ghesser
01-06-2010, 7:31 PM
Speedy recovery to you, Nate! Come back real soon!:)

Harv

Don Orr
01-06-2010, 8:46 PM
Man that is some scary news. I sure hope things work out for the best. Sounds like you have a good surgeon. Do what he tells you afterwards. PT can be the difference of getting it back or not.

Take care,

Joe Mioux
01-06-2010, 8:48 PM
Nate, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

joe

Rasmus Petersen
01-07-2010, 1:38 AM
bedst wishes from the other side of the pond..

Be carefull ladies and gents..

Roger Alexander
01-07-2010, 4:02 PM
Hi Nate, Sorry about your finger and hope all turns out as good as mine did. I ran the middle finger on the left hand by the 10" table saw myself. Took off part of the nail and now when some one wants to see the finger. I'm glad to show them it. That is with the rest of the fingers folded over. Good luck on the healing. Roger

Nathan Hawkes
05-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Thought I'd post a little update to my accident story. I had my four and a half month (nearly five really) followup appointment with the surgeon this week, who told me my hand has healed even better than he thought it would. The scars are pretty nasty, but considering what happened, I'm not complaining at all. I'm so grateful to still have all ten fingers that a little pain just reminds me that they're all still there. After a lot of physical therapy, I can bend the index knuckle to about 75 degrees, and surprisingly, the tip joint is moving about ten degrees. I dont have any tendons in the tip to flex it, but the tension from the central phalanx is enough to pull a bit, which is great. I won't be able to completely straighten it, but WHO CARES!!?! Since my accident, I've known of four people who have had table saw injuries after mine. I don't want to sound like a crotchety old timer; (I'm 33), but tools are dangerous! I'll be buying a Sawstop as soon as I can afford it. I only this week got the courage to use the saw again, and my hand went nowhere near the blade. I don't have pics, but I have a new extra long pushblock with a raised handle above it that will keep my hands the hell away from the blade no matter where it kicks back! It can double as a jointer push block. Here's a photo of my finger taken by a friend the other day, and the pushblock that got knocked over by a kickback, perfectly aligning my finger with the blade. Notice how shallow the groove is; if the blade had been 1/8" deeper, I'd have completely cut off the index finger. Note: the groove in the photo of my hand is from me jerking back as the cut happened; it spun around and hit the blade and was thrown about 10 feet to the wall behind the saw. The long groove in the other photo is from the kickback. http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=149680&stc=1&d=1272770735

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=149681&stc=1&d=1272770735

Steve Schlumpf
05-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Nate - glad you are healing well! Thanks for the photos - serves as a very vivid reminder to think about safety when working with power tools!

John Keeton
05-02-2010, 6:42 AM
Nate, all of this happened about the time I was getting into the turning thing, so I don't recall seeing the thread. Glad you have experienced a good recovery, and from the description, sure sounds like it could have been far worse. A couple of years ago, I got one of the triangular push blocks with a handle - it feels so much safer.

Thom Sturgill
05-02-2010, 8:00 AM
Nate, glad to hear you are recovering. I have my own battle scars, mostly from sharp chisels used too casually, but one from a table saw. Mostly from not quitting when I knew I was overheated and not thinking clearly. I applaud the decision to get a saw-stop. If I hadn't been sucked into this vortex so strong, I would be thinking the same.

Ted Evans
05-02-2010, 8:13 AM
Wishing Nate a speedy recovery and thanking God that it was not worse than it is.

Bill Bolen
05-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Glad to see you are healing well. I've got to admit that the photo's sent a chill down my back. The first thing I did when I hit the shop this morning was put the guard back on my TS! Thanks for a post and a story that might have saved me from the same fate. Quite the wake up post...Bill..

Nathan Hawkes
05-02-2010, 3:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the pics, but I'm kinda glad to send shivers; you should've seen it when the splintered bones were sticking out!! I hope that I can keep a few people from having an accident; even when you're careful, things can happen. Just Thursday, one of our turning club members lost part of the tip of a finger from a kickback crushing it; the damage couldn't be repaired. Board buddies or at the least multiple featherboards should be a must at all times, no matter whether you're using a push stick. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Matt Ranum
05-02-2010, 3:13 PM
Glad to hear you are healing better than expected. Thats scary stuff when it happens. When I was 18 I worked in a cannery and put 2 of the fingers on my right hand where they weren't suppose to be. Just being stupid, dumb, and ignorant. 40+ stitches, 2 broken bones and a shredded tendon later, I was on my way to recovery. Ever since then I get very safety conscious. Lots of my equipment is old and without any guards but I am still very very careful around them.

Good luck on your recovery and hope to see you back in the saddle soon.

Matt Ranum
05-02-2010, 3:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the pics, but I'm kinda glad to send shivers; you should've seen it when the splintered bones were sticking out!! I hope that I can keep a few people from having an accident; even when you're careful, things can happen. Just Thursday, one of our turning club members lost part of the tip of a finger from a kickback crushing it; the damage couldn't be repaired. Board buddies or at the least multiple featherboards should be a must at all times, no matter whether you're using a push stick. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm a firm believer in board buddies.

Rich Aldrich
05-02-2010, 3:18 PM
Nate,

I missed this thread and had been wondering where you were. Sorry to hear about your accident and hope your recovery is going well.

Jon Finch
05-03-2010, 9:56 AM
Glad you're feeling better now. You should keep that pushblock (along with the doctor's bill and a bandaged hand photo) in a framed shadow box as a reminder. You can show your grandkids the scar on your finger and the stick that helped cause it.

^
|
---- cut a couple fingernails clean off his hand last weekend (non-woodworking accident, but still could have been easily avoidable)

steven carter
05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Nate,

I hope the surgery goes excepitonally well. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Steve