PDA

View Full Version : First ever cutting board

Patrick Nailon
01-04-2010, 1:32 PM
Just threw something together as a Christmas present. Dug into my scrap box for the pieces of maple and walnut. Here are pictures of the board just after glue up, then after planing and cutting, and finally with the corners rounded, the edges routed and a hole drilled. Nice easy, fun and inexpensive present. Which prompted me to coin a new phrase:

"He's as happy as a woodworker with Christmas coming, a full scrap box, and a bunch of relatives who need cutting boards.":D

Thomas Pender
01-04-2010, 3:33 PM
Really, people do love cutting boads - cheese boards, whatever. I usually put one into the Secret Santa at work and folks fight over it. This year I had some "Cooked Ash" that I got from Northland Forest Products - very rich brown color (put in a kiln until it turns dark brown and short of catching on fire). I mixed the cooked ash (instead of using walnut) with some maple I resawed to be be quarter sawn, cut the corners, router the edges, then put mineral oil on it - gave one to my 85 year-old Dad as well. Looked striking - much as yours does and yours looks like many of the maple walnut boards I have done in the past. I have folks tell me they hang them up as decorations and do not use them.

Your point is a good one - there is no such thing as scraps, only wood that has not been made into something like a cutting board yet.

John Keeton
01-04-2010, 4:30 PM
Excellent use of the wood scraps. It pains me to think of how much stuff I have burned - should have made up cutting boards!!!:o

Chris S Anderson
01-04-2010, 4:40 PM
I love the walnut/maple look. Very nice form, too.

Vince Shriver
01-04-2010, 5:43 PM
Nice cutting boards. Next one, put the end grain looking up at you and see how that goes.

Baxter Smith
01-04-2010, 6:15 PM
I have always thought they were pretty and wanted to try one. Someday!

John Thompson
01-04-2010, 7:34 PM
Looks good Patrick...

Dan Burstyn
01-04-2010, 8:50 PM
Hi Patrick,

They look great. :D

Next year you can go one step further and make the boards, and then cut them into animal shapes. Pigs, cows, and I even made a cutting board shaped like a penguin for a cousin. There is no limit.

And the pieces that are left over, cut them and turn them into little Christmas tree orniments (if you have a lathe). I take small scraps, turn them, and then drill a small hole in the top, add a brass threaded eye, and finish. Great for the xmas tree.

IF you go that - the only thing left is a pile of sawdust, and the occasional small piece that did not turn out as expected.;)

Great Job. :D:D

Dan B.

Patrick Nailon
01-05-2010, 9:48 AM
Sure have been some excellent suggestions! I'll have to try the end grain thing. Never thought to just cut slices off one of these and reglue to show the endgrain, but I know butcher blocks are made that way.

I had a deviously cool idea this morning that involves the ancient art of gluing scraps together a la cutting boards. Stay tuned as I may have one of the projects finished very soon, and I think 'twill be a big hit. ;)

Jim Riseborough
01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Does anyone put the oil on it before giving as as gift? I didn't to my sister one time and I think she put it in the dishwasher. Now I basically soak them in Mineral oil for a few days before giving.

Chris S Anderson
01-05-2010, 1:25 PM
Sure have been some excellent suggestions! I'll have to try the end grain thing. Never thought to just cut slices off one of these and reglue to show the endgrain, but I know butcher blocks are made that way.

I had a deviously cool idea this morning that involves the ancient art of gluing scraps together a la cutting boards. Stay tuned as I may have one of the projects finished very soon, and I think 'twill be a big hit. ;)

Try to find the Woodwhisperer's podcast for cutting boards. I got my idea from his techniques, but I had to change some things because I don't have all his tools.

Chris S Anderson
01-05-2010, 1:26 PM
Does anyone put the oil on it before giving as as gift? I didn't to my sister one time and I think she put it in the dishwasher. Now I basically soak them in Mineral oil for a few days before giving.

I oiled both mine up for my sisters this year, and I gave them each a bottle of mineral oil and a short speech on end-grain benefits and how to care for the boards. I have them in my gallery, or in the amatuer post down the page.