PDA

View Full Version : Photo lasered onto Corian

Joe Hayes
01-04-2010, 9:39 AM
Has anyone tried engraving a photo onto Corian? What I am thinking about is using a dark Corian then using some type of paint fill. I have done some searching on the net and the forums but have not really come up with a good answer. The project involves a good sized plaque with quite a bit of text as well as a single photo. The problem I see is getting the paint fill to work well on the photo. Does anyone have any experience with this that could give me some direction?

Scott Challoner
01-04-2010, 10:13 AM
A while back I engraved a photo of a dog on a small sample of white corian. It didn't look like anything so I put it aside. A few days later, I was using some black paint so I wiped it accross the photo and was amazed at how good it looked. Corian is very easy to colorfill. just wipe on the paint and sand it. I also use Magic Eraser with good success.

Scott Challoner
01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Found the piece. I just used acrylic craft paint and I hadn't done any experimenting with settings. I think I used the same settings I use for marble.

Gary Hair
01-04-2010, 10:34 AM
You can also paint it and laser off the paint to reveal your photo. I have done that with ceramic tiles and it worked pretty well.

Gary

Alexander Stein
01-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I have been testing on some white corian as of late. Doing a portrait series and color filling with black. I have been using PG and a 325dpi image and it looks amazingly photo realistic. The good thing about corian is that if you mess up the piece you can salvage it easily by resanding it to a smooth finish. I have been sanding with 120grit > 220grit > red scotch brite and it leaves me with a fresh canvus every time!

Joe Hayes
01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Found the piece. I just used acrylic craft paint and I hadn't done any experimenting with settings. I think I used the same settings I use for marble.

That looks great. Thank you for the photo and information.

Chuck Stone
01-04-2010, 7:16 PM
I have been sanding with 120grit > 220grit > red scotch brite and it leaves me with a fresh canvus every time!

If you use MicroMesh, you can put a high gloss on it when you're done, too.
Corian polishes up very well.