PDA

View Full Version : "Forced contributions" ?

Byron Trantham
01-04-2010, 8:54 AM
I got an email form "sawmill creek" telling me that my time was about to expire. If I didn't extend my "Annual Contribution" "access would be removed."

Is this true?

David Epperson
01-04-2010, 9:13 AM
Contributors have access to more areas of the forums than those of us who are "just" regular members. I would expect that this would mean that one your "Contributor" status lapses, you would then be limited to just those same areas as "Regular" members. I don't see anything sinister in the notice.

Cliff Holmes
01-04-2010, 9:20 AM
Being a contributor gets you a few little perks, which most people don't use. Like posting in the classified ads. Not much, there's a reason why almost nobody is a contributor. There was a rather long, emotional thread in the private contributor's forum last week about this. For most people (like me) the only reward is a nice fuzzy.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Byron,

Previously Contributors renewed every November. Now it's based on a 12 month calander from the time you contribute. Contributors wanted to be notified when their Contributor membership was about to expire. You just got the automatic software notice.

Glenn Clabo
01-04-2010, 1:23 PM
Hey Byron,
This is not intended to force you into contributing at all. It's just a reminder. It is a response to many requests from those who choose to contribute...and as a long timer and helpful poster here you know you can enjoy a few extra perks...and show respect for what Keith's family has done to take on this adventure...and make it the biggest woodworking forum. But as always...It's your choice...

Dennis McGarry
01-04-2010, 3:29 PM
Being a contributor gets you a few little perks, which most people don't use. Like posting in the classified ads. Not much, there's a reason why almost nobody is a contributor. There was a rather long, emotional thread in the private contributor's forum last week about this. For most people (like me) the only reward is a nice fuzzy.

I look at a forum like shareware...

If I like the "software" and use it daily, I will "pay" for it. If I dont like it I dont.

Since I use it daily here, with or without the "bonuses" I will keep it going...

Glenn Clabo
01-04-2010, 3:40 PM
Perfect Dennis.

Michael Schwartz
01-04-2010, 4:05 PM
I frequent and spend more time reading SMC than any magazine I subscribe to, and the amount of information contained here is a great resource. The fact that images and threads posted here remain indefinitely further that. Many forums are just a sea of links to expired threads and posts where all the images just link to expired photo bucket accounts.

I don't contribute because of the extra perks, and to me those are the least of my concerns. I contribute because I know how much of a resource this forum is to me and many others, and that alone makes it worth far more than the cost of admission.

The Shareware analogy fits perfectly.

Greg Just
01-04-2010, 7:22 PM
Perfect Dennis.

I second Dennis' comments. The amount of information and leads I get here far outweighs the small contribution.

Steven DeMars
01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Please tell me when I am due . . .

How else will I know it is time for a new hat.

I give them away to other woodworkers who are unaware of this resource.

"Spread the word about Sawmill Creek":D

Steve:D

Aaron Koehl
01-05-2010, 2:21 PM
It is indeed the automated "subscription reminder" email from the forum software. To check on your remaining days, just click on your UserCP.