PDA

View Full Version : when doing "segmented" pieces, glue before or after turning??

andrew zukewycz
01-04-2010, 12:46 AM
im not so sure my title gets my question across...

i have seen some very nice goblets or like the cherry ones that were made for the DR.

i was wondering, do you glue (in the case of a goblet) the cup part to the base after you have turned both pieces? or do you glue 2 pieces of wood together then turn them like you would a bowl?

i am just wondering, i really like the idea of a dark top with a light bottom and i would like to start mixing wood species... im just afraid the glue wont hold a wax or finish or that it will stain the wood etc...

any input/experience is greatly appreciated.
zuke

David E Keller
01-04-2010, 12:53 AM
I suppose it could be done either way but I've only turned the pieces seperately then linked them together. There are many others on this forum with much more experience.

Richard Madison
01-04-2010, 1:16 AM
Sounds like you mean a laminated rather than segmented piece. You could construct a blank with a light wood (maple?) in the center and darker wood like walnut on the outside. The resulting cup of a goblet would be walnut, the stem would be maple (or whatever), and the foot would be walnut. Is that what you meant? Or as David said, separate pieces from different woods.

andrew zukewycz
01-04-2010, 1:27 AM
in my mind, when i think of how to get the same results, i imagine glueing 3 blocks together. then turning the whole thing like you would a segmented bowl. i dont know if that is lamination tech or not, but i would sure like to know which way is better, or is it just a matter of preference, if so, ill just do some trial and error when i get the chance.

my girlfiend wants a candle holder with a dark top, lighter middle and a really dark base. and i prefer not to stain wood, just use natural oils/waxes.

zuke

Richard Madison
01-04-2010, 1:43 AM
Zuke,
Think I understand that what I wrote is not what you asked about. Sounds like you want a blank with three pieces with end grain glue joints. The end grain glue joints will be somewhat fragile, and most folks would not do it that way. Suggest you try it with some inexpensive scrap wood first.

andrew zukewycz
01-04-2010, 1:46 AM
ok. sounds good. when the glue joints are dry, then i imagine you just turn from right to left working on the base last so the skinny parts dont crack.

would gorrilla wood glue suffice? does it have to be the endgrain that is glued? is there certain wood combinations that are better than others?

thanks
zuke

Richard Madison
01-04-2010, 1:52 AM
Candleholders and goblets are usually endgrain turnings. Suggest Titebond I or II, and allow to set up overnight for your application.

andrew zukewycz
01-04-2010, 1:59 AM
sounds good. thanks.

zuke

ill post some pics of what disasters lay ahead! lol.. thx again.

Thom Sturgill
01-04-2010, 7:47 AM
I have done both. I use a mortice and tenon joint to give some long grain strength to the glue joint.
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136850&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1262361781
This goblet is three pieces, the ebony disk for the base has the ebony spindle mortised into it. The burl is connected with a brass re-inforcement. It is a replacement stem after the original broke. It had been tenoned into the burl with the feature at the joint being larger. With this design, I could not attach after turning as it would be too hard to line up and would not have had any joint strength.
If the stem makes a small cup at the top, the bowl can be turned separately and then glued into the 'cup'.

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2010, 9:55 AM
I generally glue the pieces together with Titebond II and turn as one piece after letting dry overnight. You can do it about any way you want like Thom did in 3 pieces.

Steve Mawson
01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Would not recommend any glueing after the finish is on. My experience is it will not hold very well at all. Glue needs to have bare wood to hold.