PDA

View Full Version : anyone use a hook tool for end grain?

Bob Hampton
01-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I made a hook tool for using on end grain bowls and other stuff but got a couple of questions for those who use it sucessfully....
I tried it on an 8" end grain bowl and worked very well in the middle and out to about 2 inches ...cut like a dream ..nice shavings and all...until i got out a ways ....
At about 2 inches from center all i get is chatter and this is chatter that would drive the sainest person to the funny farm ...,man loud aint the word for it...still cuts by rotating it clock wise a little (i start in the center at about 45 degress) is this a normal thing or could u guys inform me as to what im doing wrong here?
The hook tip is about 2 inches long and mounted in a 1/2" bar 7"long that is mounted in a pipe handle ....I have tried the tool rest about 2" away from the lip of the bowl to witlhin 1/2" of the lip ...no joy...the tool rest is set slightly above center so the tool is presented at a down hill angle like u would use a round nose scraper .

thanks for any info
Bob

Dick Strauss
01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Bob,
Do you have a curved toolrest to maintain a set distance from the piece to the toolrest? Are you having to change the horizontal tool angle to avoid the rim?

Tom Giacomo
01-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Just as you make a cut with a bowl gouge as you move away from the center of a bowl you make suttle changes in the angle of the gouge. So too with a hook tool, notice the cutting angle of the blade in the center where it is cutting good and try to maintaine that angle in relation to the wood throughout. If the angle of the blade gets too steep the long slender blade will start to vibrate that maybe the sound you are getting. You may find that you will go from a down pointing tool and as you come across the piece you will slowly be rising to level with the rest and maybe a little above.

Bob Hampton
01-04-2010, 11:49 AM
thanks guys for the help
you 2 were right on the money ...most of the issue was tool presentation ...like i thought but wanted some advice from someone that had actually used one...after u get the angle down it sure cuts nice..still need to play with it some more and make a better handle for it ..but at least i have the sharpening of it down and how its used....thanks again for the help

Bob