PDA

View Full Version : First Pens

Joe Tedesco
01-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I am new to turning and thought I would share a picture of my first few pens. I am still experimenting with finishing techniques. These all have 4-5 coats of thin CA followed by a light sanding with 600 grit, then an application of HUT Perfect Pen Polish.

Thanks for looking

-Joe

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Very nice pens Joe. Really some nice wood there.

David Drickhamer
01-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Nice job on the pens. What kind of wood is that? I really like it.
Dave

Tom Henry
01-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Great looking pens...you are going to be turning a lot more now that you did your first...:D

David E Keller
01-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Nice group of pens. Looks like you stayed a little proud of the bushings near the nib end of a few of them... Sometimes that makes them a little uncomfortable to write with IMHO.

Joe Tedesco
01-04-2010, 8:36 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, when making the first few I did not realize how important it was to turn/sand right up to the bushings.

The light ones are spalted maple which I picked up online. I have been so intrigued by the idea of turning I started scowering the neighborhood for logs to make my own blanks. I found someone dumping a cherry log with a big burl on it. I guess they figured they better not burn that deformed piece of wood :) I asked if I could take it and they said sure. I cut it open and it looks beautiful. I'm sure it will make many nice pens!

-Joe

Billy Tallant
01-05-2010, 2:07 AM
Nice looking bunch of pens. Also nice finish using CA on first pens...

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2010, 7:37 AM
Beautiful pens Joe! Love the rich colors of the woods used!