PDA

View Full Version : Black & White Elm Hollowform

Curt Fuller
01-03-2010, 10:21 PM
This is in direct contradiction to my long held belief that wood should be finished just as it grew on the tree. But what the hey, sometimes you get a wild hair. I've seen this done before but recently I saw a piece on another forum by Andy DiPietro that was amazing, so I'm giving him credit (or blame) for pushing me to give this a try. It's Siberian Elm, dyed black, and then waxed with Kiwi white shoe polish (poor mans liming wax) and buffed by hand. 8" x 4.5". All comments, critiques, and teasing for using color on wood expected.

Ron Erickson
01-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Curt I like it alot, why not go all the way and paint the inside black. Ron

Baxter Smith
01-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I agree with your first sentence. I didn't put dye or stain on any of the woodwork in my house-and there are a lot of different species.

However-different is good and I like it!

David Christopher
01-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Curt, I agree with the others, I like it

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't see anything to fun about. I really like it Curt. Well done.

Gary Conklin
01-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I think it looks great, I happen to see that other piece, and this is a fantastic musing. I agree that the inside should also be dyed. You might have gone for a liitle less shine on your finish, but that is your norm so what the hey.

Dick Strauss
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Curt,
You've definitely got a nice piece there! The color treatment really show off the grain pattern and shape. :cool: This elm is too plain to be left natural IMO!

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Curt - Welcome to the Dark Side!

I know what you mean about not wanting to do anything to the natural wood - but sometimes you just have to reach out there for a different effect.

You did great on this one! Looks really thin! Nice job with the black dye as well as with the liming process! I think Andy D. would approve! Probably only me - but I like the contrast between the black outside color and the natural inside!

Jon Prouty
01-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I love it... I like the way the inside is natural - more artsy (not really a word but it fits). Finishing the inside black may make the piece more mass produced looking vs something artistically created. This is a piece I would love to emulate one day!

JP

David E Keller
01-04-2010, 12:29 AM
I love it. The grain is beautiful, and I like the inside in its natural state. If you dyed all of your turnings I would worry about you, but a little color now and then is not a bad thing. It's not like you colored a big chunk of beautiful burl.:eek:

Richard Madison
01-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Very cool piece Kurt. I think Andy's cover piece is great too. While in the "emulation zone" would you consider adding an acrylic lid/finial? Just a thought. What kind of black dye was used?

George Guadiane
01-04-2010, 1:00 AM
Curt,
In GENERAL, I'm with you. Pick beautiful wood and let it show why you picked it...
Having said that, I've been messing with color a bit myself, still with the idea that you should still be able to see that it's wood.

I really like this piece, and the inspiration piece that Andy did. I think they both show the wood enough (through the contrasting grain) to make it clear that you (both) turned a VERY nice hollow form.

John Keeton
01-04-2010, 7:24 AM
OK, no one else is going to step up and do this. Curt, this is where it all starts. First it is a small, beautifully done piece, that is quietly (in a dark corner probably!) dyed, and forever changed. Then, before long, there is another, and pretty soon, it feels OK.......Just KIDDING!!:D:D;)

I am not one that likes to dye or stain, but I have no hesitancy to do so if it enhances the overall piece. This works, and works very well. Like the more recent posts, I think the natural interior adds substantially to the piece, and to color it would be a distraction. I also think the white grain fill is the icing on the cake and makes the effect happen here.

Well done!

Barry Elder
01-04-2010, 8:03 AM
Fie on you for using your creative brain, Curt!!! It looks very elegant! Well done!

Keith Burns
01-04-2010, 9:29 AM
Curt, what can I say. This is totally excellent from form to coloring it is just perfect.

Bill Bolen
01-04-2010, 10:11 AM
To steal Barry's post,I think this is "quite elegant"! Leaving the interior natural is a great addition to the dyed exterior. Love the zebra like striations in the grain....Bill...

Rob Cunningham
01-04-2010, 12:49 PM
I really like it Curt. I think the contrasting colors on the outside and the natural color inside work well together.