PDA

View Full Version : Brown stopped at my shop today.

Bart Leetch
10-14-2004, 12:21 AM
With a little addition to my Grizzly G1029 DC Now I can breather a little easier. :D :D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2004, 6:42 AM
Bart....congrats on the DC! Let us know how you like it!

Ted Shrader
10-14-2004, 9:44 AM
Bart -

Let us know how it works. Does the "beater bar" knock the collected dust off well enough, how long does the dust take to settle before you can empty the container, and how long in between "beatings".

Ted

Chris Padilla
10-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Geeez, Ted, the man just got the thing...he'll need at least........okay, long enough, answer Ted's questions!! :D

Nice pick up, Bart.

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Hey Bart, congrats! :) What filtration (microns) does that go down to? :cool:

Mark Singer
10-14-2004, 11:05 AM
Bart,
It looks like it "sucks"....I mean that in a good way!

Bart Leetch
10-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Hey Bart, congrats! :) What filtration (microns) does that go down to? :cool:

Hi John

It's supposed to be 1 micron, it seems that everything I've read on DC filtration that the stated filtration is where it starts & when the bag or pleated filter gets a little dust on it then it can be even a little better.

I may be wrong on this if so feel free to correct me.

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Bart, not positive, but I think you're correct in the assumption that finer filtering actually happens once you get some of the surface "caked up". I would just go through the DC itself and make sure there are no other fine dust leaks and you should be golden! :) :cool:

Jerry Ingraham
10-14-2004, 1:04 PM
Hi Bart, I'm just about to order a 1029z today for my shop. I have been trying to decide between it and a Jet 1100. They're about the same price but the 1029 is 1550 cfm and I lean toward more cfm. have you been satisfied with yours? I assume so since you're upgrading it. Do you have pic's of your ducting? I'd welcome any advice you may have regarding the unit and installation. thanks.

Bart Leetch
10-14-2004, 3:43 PM
Jerry

I think you'll be happy with the 1029Z . I have the older version with the 5" port as does a friend of mine & we've been very happy with ours. I'll convert mine over to the 6" port at a later date when I get into a bigger shop. Bill Crofutt told me that it would work just fine & not draw to many amps for the DC motor to handle.

I've had in excess of 36' of 4" duct hooked to this machine & it worked fine. Yours should work better. I now have 2 branches hooked up which amount to about the same length or a little more & it works fine. :)

Bart Leetch
10-14-2004, 4:18 PM
Well Ted

Everytime the DC is bad I beat it then kick it back into the corner & tell it to be good, but it never does & I have to beat it again. :eek: Actually the system has 3 fins with rubber on them so I don't have to move the handle as far to completely clean the filter as you would on a jet filter system, Just pull it around 1/3 of the way & push it back & the filter is clean. I guess you could use your air compressor if you want it cleaner. :D :D

Ralph DaFoe
10-14-2004, 9:28 PM
Bart, What am I missing? I can't find this filter on the Grizzly web site.

Bart Leetch
10-14-2004, 9:51 PM
Bart, What am I missing? I can't find this filter on the Grizzly web site.

Well Ralph

In this case its not on the web site or in the catalog. :)

Its who you know that counts I talked to Bill Crofutt at Grizzly,I've known that this was going to be available for some time now.

Here is the number H5783 this number will get you the whole kit with the seals & band clamp. But it has no directions. Put the narrow peel & stick foam tape on the top edge of your bag rim flange & the wide peel & stick foam tape just under the edge of the flange on the outside of the bag rim.

I hope this helps, Bart :D :D :D

Don Abele
10-14-2004, 9:53 PM
Bart, I replaced my Jet DC-1100 with the 1200CK that has that same type of filter cartridge unit on it. It was a major improvement in performance. I'll admit I'm not the most religious at turning my beater bar...seems I get around to it about once or twice a month or more if I'm really getting a lot of shop time in. I will typically spin the flapper a few times before leaving at the end of the night and empty the bag the next day. I think using the solid plastic trash bags for the bottom was an even better improvement - no more face full of dust when emptying it into the trash can (or a trash bag).

Be well,

Doc

Bart Leetch
10-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Don

I just put peel & stick camper foam around the bottom edge of my bag rim & a bungee cord then slipped a heavy duty garbage bag under the bungee cord & let the bag hang down inside a 30 gallon mental trash can that I had one hand to keep anything from puncturing the bag & it works fine. The foam tape helps the bungee cord grip the garbage bag. :)

Ian Barley
10-15-2004, 3:57 AM
Bart -

Let us know how it works. Does the "beater bar" knock the collected dust off well enough, how long does the dust take to settle before you can empty the container, and how long in between "beatings".

Ted

I have similar cartridge filters on my DC. The bar knocks as much of the dust off as is necessary to bring the DC back to good flow. I always turn the bar just after I have fitted a new bag rather than just before I take off the old one. That way the relly fine stuff is buried at the bottom of the bag and covered by the coarser stuff on top.

How long depends on what I am doing. For the planer its about once a day, With the drum sander its about once an hour. Its a 5 second job and the more often you do it the more the DC will suck (and in sucking better it will not "suck" as much).