PDA

View Full Version : what is the shelf life of cabot brushing lacquer?

keith ouellette
01-03-2010, 9:11 PM
some one is selling 4 one gallon cans of cabot semi gloss poly and 3 one gallon cans of cabot satin brushing lacquer for a total of $40 for all.

Its way more than I need but when I consider that a quart of lacquer is about $9 then it seems like a very good buy assuming and un opened can won't spoil.

Anyone know the shelf life of this stuff if un opened.

Billy Dodd
01-03-2010, 10:04 PM
If I remember right laquer has no expiration time. If it gets a little thick add thinner to it. Unlike shellac that has less then a year shelf life.

Phil Phelps
01-04-2010, 8:54 AM
I have some lacquer that is over 30 years old at the shop. I've had it the consistancy of STP and thinned it and its okay. I never throw it away.

keith ouellette
01-04-2010, 9:07 AM
thanks for the replies. I think I may buy it.

Harvey Pascoe
01-09-2010, 5:05 PM
I assume you mean nitrocellulose. The notion of a brushing lacquer is a joke. It won't level before tacking unless you dilute it to the viscosity of water and then you'll never be able to build up a good finish. If you brush straight out of the can, it will go on so thick that it takes a long time to cure to the point of sanding without clogging the paper. You'll end up with long periods between coats for sanding. I'd suggest you either spray it or forget it.