PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Cutterhead Question

Dave Clermont
01-03-2010, 9:07 PM
I have been trying to setup the knives on my new jointer (Grizzly G0604X) and haven't had much luck. Being that this is my first jointer I was thinking it was just my inexperience.

What is happening is when I try to set the knives to the same height as the outfeed table, the part of the knives furthest away from the fence are scrapping against the inside of the outfeed table when the cutterhead is rotated. I figured I was doing something incorrectly using the stick method to set them. So I went out and bought a dial indicator and when I was checking the distance from the outfeed table to the TDC of the cutterhead I found that there is a difference of about .005 to .006 between the end of the cutterhead closest to the fence and the end furthest away from the fence. I checked the bolts that secure the cutterhead and on both sides they are tight, I also checked to make sure that the dial indicator was reading correctly and it is. I also moved the jointer to a different section of my basement to rule out it not sitting level(though the outfeed table is flat from side to side and front to back.) I also checked it from the infeed table and have the same results.

I'm thinking this is not the norm and that I will need to contact Grizzly tomorrow but I figured I would post here to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!

-Dave

Barry Vabeach
01-04-2010, 8:21 AM
dave, I don't have that jointer, but I checked the website and it has parallelogram beds. There is a section in the manual on adjusting the outfeed table so that it is even with the cutterhead, and then adjusting the infeed table so that it is coplanar with the outfeed table. You might want to read that before you talk to Grizzly, just to give an idea of the measurements you will want to have on hand when you call them.

Dave Clermont
01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks Barry I I did confirm everything and ended up talking to Grizzly and they told me to check under the cutterhead mounting blocks and see if there was a shim there and sure enough there was and it was about .006 thick. I removed it and now the cutter head and outfeed tabled are within .0005 of each other, much better. Grizzly support said that sometimes they get left behind from factory and they are not needed which seemed to be the case at least for me anyways.

Barry Vabeach
01-05-2010, 7:19 AM
Dave, I would have never thought they would put in a shim that wasn't needed. Good idea to go through CS. Hope your jointer is working great now.