PDA

View Full Version : New TS fence reccomendations

Tony Shea
01-03-2010, 8:51 PM
I believe I have come to the conclusion that I want a new fence for my Ridgid R4511. I have been very pleased with my saw so far especially considering it's cost. I'm only a weekend woodworker that is fairly new to the game therefore couldn't justify the cost of a cabinet saw, especially during the time I bought it. The downside to my saw is the fence system with the two peice front and back rails with a cheap extruded stell square tubing fence. It is far from precise no matter how well I adjust.

Anyways, I would love some suggestions on a new fence system for this saw. I would like to keep it at $300 or less if this is possible. I was contemplating the Shop Fox fence.

Jerome Hanby
01-03-2010, 9:21 PM
Incra TS-III for about $343 for 32" range model

Neal Clayton
01-03-2010, 11:57 PM
vega 40" fence is under 300. i use one on my PM66.

Cary Falk
01-04-2010, 2:24 AM
Delta T2
Shop Fox Classic
Shop Fox Aluminum classic

Jeff Willard
01-04-2010, 7:50 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=128848

I have no affiliation with the seller, just happened to notice this yesterday. I do have the fence though. Solid design.

Matt Day
01-04-2010, 7:54 AM
I had a vega for a while and liked it - sold it with my saw and have a beis now.

scott spencer
01-04-2010, 8:04 AM
Shop Fox Classic is a good fence.

The Vega Pro 40 is on sale from Amazon for $280 shipped, but are temporarily backordered...a nice buy if you can wait.

The Jet Exacta II is really nice too....the HTC fence is the same if you can find a deal.

You might even find a deal on a Biese.

Cliff Holmes
01-04-2010, 8:14 AM
+1 on an Incra. For me, the productivity of not having to measure and being able to repeat cuts exactly more than makes up for the extra cost. Personally, I used to waste a lot of wood from mis-cuts and I don't do that (as much) anymore.

Van Huskey
01-06-2010, 4:38 AM
+2 on the Incra. However, does the 4511 have any tapped inserts on the back of the table? The front is a non-issue since the Incra doesn't have set bolt holes and I know the granite has inserts on the front. You mention the back rails so I assume there are threaded inserts in the granite in the back.

Harlan Coverdale
01-06-2010, 4:55 AM
+3 on the Incra. Like Cliff, I like the ability to reset the fence to the exact dimension repeatedly.

Tony Shea
01-06-2010, 1:53 PM
Yes the R4511 has threaded inserts in the back part of the granite table. Are most fence systems compatible with most table saws, as long as you dill holes where needed in the mounting brackets? Most fence systems attach in a similar manner don't they? I've never seen after market fence systems installed before as I don't know what the instalation intails.

Cliff Holmes
01-06-2010, 2:48 PM
Are most fence systems compatible with most table saws ... ?

Generally, yes. They design for flexibility because they know it's a somewhat variable target. For example, all the mounting stuff for Incra is slotted for adjustment. The only thing to watch out for would be oddballs like the Sawstop ICS which has a 3" deeper-than-normal table. Some fences simply won't fit, while others like the Incra will require some optional parts. Best thing would be to check with that manufacturer, they should have an idea of how their fence works with common saw models.

rob mclaughlin
01-06-2010, 2:57 PM
Another vote for the Vega - uncomplicated, rock solid, stays true. Absolutely no adjustments necessary in 9 months of moderate use. Would buy it again in a heartbeat

Eddie Darby
01-06-2010, 4:19 PM
A relatively new fence out there is the "Red-Line" saw fence that Dave Wooland sells.
He was instrumental in putting Mule fences up there.
He has an improved version that he makes which has a few more "T" slots and a stiffer holding mechanism. Nice for all those safety jigs, and the stiffness helps to overcome the one weakness that the Mule fence had.

http://store.thesawshop.com/catalogue/default.php

The customer service that Dave provides actually makes Lee Valley look like bums, and if you know how good the customer service is at LV then you will know that that is a lot!

Russ Jensen
01-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Go with at least 50" rails. I had the standard 30" rails on my old saw and cussed everytime I wanted to rip sheet stock.

Personally, I love the Biesemeyer, but most of the T-Square style fences out there today are pretty darn good.

Check CL and ebay - Got my 52" Bies for $159 from a private party new in box. There are deals if you are patient.

Vic Damone
01-08-2010, 6:03 AM
I'm not familiar with the R5411's fence. The fence that came with the Rigid TS3650 had front and rear rails, locked down very well, was easy to dial in, and surprisingly good.

If you have a problem with two railed fences I have no suggestions. If the rear rail is not a problem I highly recommend the Incra LS.