PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Workshop Thought!

Darrin Davis
01-03-2010, 8:29 PM
I've read on SMC that when Norm builds a project that he gets one and Russell Morash (New Yankee Workshop owner) gets one. Well, I noticed a couple of weeks ago during a re-run of the kitchen cabinet series where he builds a built in desk for the kitchen that he is putting in place of the "roll top desk" that he built 2 of during previous seasons. I wonder if the kitchen cabinets where being built for the home of Russell Morash! Did anyone else happen to notice this? Just an interesting thought I wanted to share.

Jerome Hanby
01-03-2010, 9:25 PM
I can't imagine that Norm would have room for everything he's built over the years. That kitchen series started with him looking over a friends kitchen, wonder if he gifted the desk?

Keith Christopher
01-03-2010, 9:38 PM
I just wish they would but out a 21 disc DvD collection of the entire series.

Dan Friedrichs
01-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Huh - I guess it didn't occur to me that the roll top desk in that kitchen might have been "Norm's".

Throughout that whole kitchen series, I thought it was really strange that they never showed the homeowners. It would seem natural to just get a shot of them standing by Norm on the last episode (showing how pleased they were with the work or something).

Gary Muto
01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Huh - I guess it didn't occur to me that the roll top desk in that kitchen might have been "Norm's".

Throughout that whole kitchen series, I thought it was really strange that they never showed the homeowners. It would seem natural to just get a shot of them standing by Norm on the last episode (showing how pleased they were with the work or something).

I always figured that it was for the privacy of the homeowners as well as NYWS. I read that they were always careful about keeping the location of the shop secret and I understand why they would.

Brian Effinger
01-03-2010, 11:26 PM
I remember reading somewhere that it was Russell Morash's kitchen.

Curt Harms
01-04-2010, 4:18 PM
I remember reading somewhere that it was Russell Morash's kitchen.

Crafty ol' bugger:D. Get new furniture, a new kitchen and it's all a business expense. Of course I heard one of Norm's presentations years ago at a woodworking show. The owners of This Old House projects get a 1099 at the end of the project so they have to pay taxes on the value of the goods and/or services. No clue how the value is calculated.

Bob Warfield
01-04-2010, 6:54 PM
Go to the New Yankee site and check it out. They are re-running episode #101, the very first show. The workshop looks almost empty compared to the way it looks now. You might be surprised at the way Norm cuts tennons.
Thanks,
Bob Warfield

Bob Warfield
01-04-2010, 7:05 PM
Sorry guys. I just noticed the thread above. I need to get used to the language and spelling here ;)
Thanks,
Bob Warfield

doug faist
01-04-2010, 7:15 PM
You might be surprised at the way Norm cuts tennons.
Thanks,
Bob Warfield

I guess I haven't watched the really early NYW episodes because I don't remember Norm without his trusty Delta Tenon Jig. The way he's cutting them in the #101 episode is downright scary! :eek:

Doug