PDA

View Full Version : A spindle replacement for an old chair.

Jack Mincey
01-03-2010, 6:36 PM
I was asked by a person who refinishes and repairs old furniture to make a replacement spindle for a chair he was working on. It is 19.5 inches long and very thin. I don't do a lot of spindle work, but was still able to get this one close, I think. A spindle steady would have been nice.
Jack
imagehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/100_1506.jpgimage

Steve Mawson
01-03-2010, 6:38 PM
Looks like a pretty good copy to me. You did good.

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2010, 6:41 PM
Looks good Jack! Does this mean you are going to get into the restoration business as well?

Harvey M. Taylor
01-03-2010, 7:40 PM
Looks good from where I am sitting here in Texas. Max

charlie knighton
01-03-2010, 7:43 PM
very nice, what type of wood was the chair and what type of wood did you make the spindle out of????????

Jack Mincey
01-03-2010, 7:50 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Steve I might end up making a few more spindles for this person as he needs them, but don't plan on getting into the restoration business. I don't even know how much I should charge him for this piece. It took me a total of hour and a half to turn it so I'm thinking around $30.00.
Charlie, The spindle is from mahogany and the old one looks to be the same. I hope he is able to get everything to match color wise.
Thanks again,
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2010, 8:12 PM
Close, well it looks mighty fine to me Jack. Very well done.

David E Keller
01-03-2010, 9:13 PM
great match for shape... hope the other guy does as well matching the finish.

Ruth Niles
01-04-2010, 7:59 AM
Jack, you did a great job of matching. Pricing is the hardest thing to do. I did spindle reproduction work for years, both with antique dealers and construction contractors, I never finished the piece nor replaced it in the piece of furniture. I did an awful lot of bed finials, stair rails, chair and bench parts, folding screen pieces (trims and finials), etc. I checked reproduction catalogs and charged a little less because my customers had to provide or pay for the wood separate. The antique dealers brought me oak and pine tables that were not salvagable to use for the turnings. I supported myself quite nicely and had a lot of work to do.

It's quick and it's fun and you get paid as soon as the job is finished! :)

Ruth