PDA

View Full Version : What are the limitations on the Delta 46-460?

Jack Gaskins
01-03-2010, 6:29 PM
I want to order a Delta 46-460 tomorrow from the Rockler site due to its the last day for free shipping. I know what the specs limit are as for length of spindles and diameter of bowls but wanted to hear from those that have been using this machine on what you have found to be its limitations. I plan to start out with your basic boxes, ornaments and stoppers, so nothing big but when I do plan to try my hand and vessels and bowls what can I expect from the lathe. Like how big of a blank can I try without bogging the motor or being to heavy for the lathe etc....Thanks.

Steve Mawson
01-03-2010, 6:37 PM
I have had no problem with power. Probably biggest bowl to date is about 10 inches. You do not have a lot of mass with the lathe so out of balance blanks have to be turned slow. That to me is not a problem. The vs helps with this a lot because you can find a speed that is fairly smooth. Pretty well please with this lathe.

Bob Bergstrom
01-03-2010, 6:49 PM
I got to use one at the Chicago Wood Show. Was on it for a couple of hours. I, and some friends try to bog it down on about a 7 to 8 inch maple bowl. I was thrown a good 3/8" curl and it just kept on spinning. I was on the middle pulley at about 8 or 9 hundred rpm. I would think it has plenty of power to turn a 12" bowl with little problem. The belt system is ribbed and that sure helps deliver the power better than the old 1/2" belt common on older lathes. The only thing that bother me was the tool rest post look a little thin. I think it is a standard mini lathe size. I wonder if a good solid catch on a 12" bowl might break it off. Good lathe, but as was discussed here the other day if you are wanting to turn bowl of 12" or more the Nova with 8 speed pulley (when on sale) is a great lathe with a 1 1/2 hp. and bigger swing.

Jack Gaskins
01-03-2010, 6:59 PM
One of the things that I wasnt to crazy about when I looked at the Delta was its crappy tool rest. I put a tool up against it and there was hardly enough rest to put the back of my hand on. I definately anticipate upgrading the rest probably even the banjo. As for the Nova, well I've waited for a long time to get another lathe just dont know when the Nova would go on sale again. Besides this way I can start saving for a dust collector next. Here is a newbie question, as far as lathe chucks go, I have a brand new Talon chuck. Can you use that for reverse turning or do I have to by another chuck for that?

Jack Gaskins
01-03-2010, 7:27 PM
I have had no problem with power. Probably biggest bowl to date is about 10 inches. You do not have a lot of mass with the lathe so out of balance blanks have to be turned slow. That to me is not a problem. The vs helps with this a lot because you can find a speed that is fairly smooth. Pretty well please with this lathe.

Hey Steve, whats the size of the banjo hole, 5/8ths or 1 inch? Theres a guy over on IAP pen turning site that makes some nice looking tool rests I might buy after I get my lathe.

Donny Lawson
01-03-2010, 7:55 PM
I was at Woodcraft yesterday and was looking at chucks. They had the nova for 139.00 and the talon for 249.00.I would have to buy an adapter for the chuck in order to fit my 1x8tpi Delta midi lathe.We looked around some more and found a Delta chuck for the Midi lathe.He said it was better than the Nova and I would not have to buy an adapter.It was 144.00.I will probally buy it next week.Anyone else have the Delta Chuck?
Donny

Brian Effinger
01-03-2010, 8:04 PM
Jack, the tool post is 5/8". The rest and banjo are the weak point of this lathe. I've had mine since October, and have turned quite a bit on it. The rest is a little small in thickness, and I might end up buying a Robust rest for it. The main problem I have with it, is the banjo. It does not lock down on the tool rest post tightly, therefore the rest has a tendency to move when I am out on the end of it roughing out something. I have given some thought to buying a Oneway banjo for it, or maybe having a guy I know make a one for me.

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2010, 8:06 PM
Jack other than the biggest bowl would be around 12" I don't really see a problem. I turned on one turning a 11 3/4" bowl with a 1/2" bowl gouge and could not bog it down. It has pretty good power. I wish it had been out before I bought the Jet 1220 because I would have gotten it.

Jack Gaskins
01-03-2010, 8:22 PM
Anyone know how much a good 1" banjo cost?

Steve Mawson
01-03-2010, 8:39 PM
Of course the banjo is up to you but I sure can't complain about mine. I have had no trouble keeping it where I set it. If you spend the dollars for a new banjo you might want to consider a different lathe as the cost could get into a different price range. Just my $.02.

Joe Bradshaw
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Jack,I bought a Delta banjo from Packard and put it on my Jet 1220. I had to do a little shaping on the locking pad that slides below the ways.

Brian Effinger
01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Of course the banjo is up to you but I sure can't complain about mine. I have had no trouble keeping it where I set it. If you spend the dollars for a new banjo you might want to consider a different lathe as the cost could get into a different price range. Just my $.02.
After I wrote my post, I looked up the cost of a new Oneway banjo in the catalog. WOW! $220 for a 12" swing. I am sure that it is worth every penny, but way out of my price range. I guess I'll take a look at the stock one and see if it can be improved upon, or have the machinist I know make me one. He built his own lathe, so I'm sure this would be no problem for him.

gary butcher
01-04-2010, 1:09 AM
I'm going to be buying this lathe in a few weeks. I had a play with it in my local woodcraft today and gave it a good looking over. I thought the overall build quality was good. Nicely finished and very solid. I thought the banjo lock was very solid though the tool rest itself looks a little flimsy so I'll be upgrading to a round bar rest like the one fitted to my mini lathe. Those are big, solid and nice to work with for me.

The only concern I have with it is with the reverse drive I think It'll need a new chuck to allow reversing. There is a Delta Nova G3-D chuck for the delta which is a reversible chuck with spindle lock so it doesn't unscrew itself.

I can't wait, the thing I have now is a little PSI turncrafter pro.. small and serviceable but I really want something better.

Jim Sebring
01-04-2010, 1:10 AM
One of the really great things about the Delta hasn't been mentioned yet. The speed range is 250 to 4000, in three steps. That low end is just about perfect for those unbalanced blanks everybody works on.

BTW, I don't have one of the Deltas; I've had a belt-changer Jet 1220 since they came out about 4 years ago. If the Delta had been available then, as noted above, I would have bought it instead.

gary butcher
01-04-2010, 1:47 AM
Yeah, the speed thing was what clinched it for me. 250 rpm is great, the belts are big and easily moved and the VS control is very nice. I coulda done with that this weekend when I was trying to smooth out a 4x4x6" block of claro. Unfortunately I couldn't find where I put my live center so I did what any dumbass would do... I clamped it tightly in a 4-jaw 6" metal lathe chuck and spun it up at 500rpm unsupported and hoped for the best :eek:

Yes it did wobble about a bit and luckily it only flew off the chuck twice before I got it rounded :rolleyes:

Jeff Nicol
01-04-2010, 7:02 AM
I turned a 11" heavy wet red oak burl on mine yesterday and had very little problem with that. It was out of round and lopsided so I had to turn it pretty slow at first. I was just using the spur center and live center to rough it out. Then turned a tenon and hollowed out the inside, I did have a few catches and the rest held fast and everything was fine. The spur center spun on the catches and that helps with the wet wood. Most times if you get a catch that would put enough torque on the tool rest to break it, the tool is being used incorrectly. Make sure you keep the rest close to the blank while turning and you should have no problems.

Great little machine and very well made!

Jeff

Prashun Patel
01-04-2010, 8:21 AM
Jack-

I just purchased this last week. Still hasn't arrived. I can tell you this:

Beware Rocker and Woodcraft 'free shipping'. There is a $50 upcharge for shipping this lathe.

The best price I found was at Tool Nut.

This lathe only has a 16"ish length capacity, so you might consider getting the bed extension with it. Again, Tool Nut had the best price for me.

Ask for Sean.

Rick Hutcheson
01-04-2010, 8:35 AM
I think it is one great lathe. I have turned some 12" diameter by 7" deep blanks into bowls with the lathe. I also use the Mcnaughten mini and micro bowl saver on it. I have not had any power problems. Yes I can stall it on the large stuff but I can also stall my Jet 1642. Used right it has plenty of motor power for turning big stuff.
Here is a page I set up of things I have turned on the lathe. http://www.scrollsaws.com/deltaVSlathe.htm As you can see I have used it just a little.
As for a bad catch and the tool rest. If you think a bad catch is breaking the ferrel and splitting the handle in a 3/4" round nose Sorby scraper, then the toolrest will survive that. The banjo has no problem coring bowls with the mini blades on the Mcnaughten. I have been testing this lathe and tried to do everything possible to hurt it. I feel I have put it through more abuse than anyone ever would on their lathe and it has taken everything I have done to it.
I actually enjoy turning on this lathe as much as I do turning on my Jet 1642. Both are very nice to use, but I use the Delta about 8 times more than my bigger Jet.

Bill Blasic
01-04-2010, 8:56 AM
The Delta (Black & Decker) chuck is made by Teknatool and is basically a Nova G3. If you're having problems with the banjo try getting the square clamping blocks from Randy Privett (www.monster-lathe-tools.com). I do have these blocks on my 1220 VS Jet but as of yet I have not needed them on the 46-460 Delta as I have no problem with anything slipping on it. The tool rests are no different than any of the other tools rests for this class lathe. I myself see no reason to go to a 1" tool post.
Bill

Gordon Seto
01-04-2010, 9:04 AM
the tool rest itself looks a little flimsy so I'll be upgrading to a round bar rest like the one fitted to my mini lathe. Those are big, solid and nice to work with for me.

If you are going to upgrade the tool rest, look at the Robust Comfort rest. They have 5/8" post version for mini lathes. I had the round bar, it is no match to the Robust.

Jack Gaskins
01-04-2010, 9:18 AM
I did check on shipping again and they are charging you to ship it. That sucks. Guess I'll call ToolNut today. Dont know why Im in a hurry now anyway, my garage is a freaking FREEZER! It wont warm up out there for a few more months.

Jack Gaskins
01-04-2010, 6:26 PM
Well I ordered the Delta 46-460 this afternoon :D. I went with ToolNut but the sale they had going was expired but I still got it for about $15 cheaper than other places I searched.

gary butcher
01-04-2010, 6:57 PM
congrats, looking forward to your impressions :)

Jack Gaskins
01-04-2010, 7:55 PM
So, will I be able to spin my Talon chuck in reverse for sanding and such?

Rick Hutcheson
01-04-2010, 8:59 PM
I use the chuck in reverse all the time for sanding. I have not had a catch while sanding that has broken the chuck loose and caused it to unscrew off the lathe. I have never used a set screw to lock the chuck on.