PDA

View Full Version : Gloat (Colorado vacation)

Kevin Beck
10-13-2004, 11:26 PM
The family and I have spent the week in Colorado Springs and the Estes Park area. I'd been to Colorado before but this was the first time for the LOML and kids.

What a beautiful place Colorado is. We all thought about what it would be like to live here. Of course the winters would likely take some serious getting used to after living in Florida for 40+ years.

We spent today in Rocky Mountain National Park and saw 50+ elk and some of the most beautiful scenery we have ever seen. The kids got to play in the snow too, something which they don't get to do in central Florida.

I've attached photos of the LOML and I in Manitou Springs and of all of us freezing on Pikes Peak (27 degrees, ouch).

Ken Fitzgerald
10-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Kevin...congrats! Rocky Mountain National Park is a beautiful place! My wife still has nightmares about her first trip on that road as a teenager! (She scares easily with dropoffs on her side of the car.) She's come a long ways in the 22 years we've lived in Idaho. I wished you could have seen Colorado, Wyoming and Utah as I did as a kid! As these states have become tourist destinations...they've changed .....still beautiful but changed! Again...Congrats on the trip and a great looking family too!

James Giordano
10-14-2004, 5:21 AM
I would love to take a trip to colorado. I lived in the Grand Junction area until I was about 14 yrs old ( 70's, early 80's)and sometimes think I would like to go back there some day. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be disappointed though because of the population explosion and urbanization? in that area. As Ken said it is not as it once was.

Michael Stafford
10-14-2004, 7:30 AM
Nice looking family! Even when cold...

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 8:49 AM
Lucky dude, Kevin! :) I did Colorado many years ago. Denver, up to the mountains, over to Veil and around. One of the very best highlights of my life! :) Would love to do it again. Sounds/looks like you had a great time but, 27 deg. is pretty balmy 'round these parts! :cool:

Jim Becker
10-14-2004, 8:56 AM
I did Pike's Peak a few years ago. The first attempt was thwarted due to high winds on top...they stopped traffic below the tree line. The second one went all the way. Beautiful view. But the female coworker in the passenger seat of the rental car was the color of a white sheet by the time we got to the top...the "lack of guardrails" apparently was of concern.

About a year and a half ago, another coworker and I had a day to kill (took advantage of reduced airfare for a Saturday night stay) and being he is a serious train buff, we headed up to Cheyenne WY to see the train yards and then drove back to Denver on the west side of the mountains so we could see a few more train things he was interested in. That was a great drive. Beautiful country and it was just at the beginning of fall with the leaves turning.

'Great area to drive and travel!

Chris Padilla
10-14-2004, 6:40 PM
Ah, yes, home.... I do miss it but the LOML does not miss the winters there.

Trail Ridge Road is the highest-paved road in the US. This is the one that goes through Rocky Mountain National Park and is closed half the year. It is quite a mesa at the top and quite the drop off at certain points! :) Not for the squeamish or those who like good oxygen. I think you are around 12,000 feet at the summit.

Still, I have to tell you, Colorado in the fall can't hold a candle to most of the East--Aspens aren't all that exciting to be frank. I had the chance to drive US-8 through Wisconsin in the fall many times and the color palette is amazing. Colorado does not get that kind of color in fall....

Anyway, the Royal Gorge is pretty cool, too, Kevin. You weren't far from that at all. Garden of the Gods is another neat place. Sigh....

Dennis Peacock
10-14-2004, 7:34 PM
I did Pike's Peak a few years ago. The first attempt was thwarted due to high winds on top...they stopped traffic below the tree line. The second one went all the way. Beautiful view. But the female coworker in the passenger seat of the rental car was the color of a white sheet by the time we got to the top...the "lack of guardrails" apparently was of concern.
'Great area to drive and travel!

Well....ya'll just scared the bug-jeebers out of the LOML.!!! She thought she would like to visit and go to Pike's Peak.....but now after she and I read all this, she for SURE would not want to take that journey.

Kevin Beck
10-14-2004, 7:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. We have had a good time. We spent today in the Ft. Collins area. We toured the Anheiser Bush plant and drove around the Colorado State area. This is a beautiful area too.

John, I've heard Wisconsin is beautiful too and I know you guys in Wisconsin and Minnestoa know what real cold weather is.

Chris, I know why you miss this place. Absolutely beautiful and the people are friendly. We went to the Garden of the Gods (twice) but did not make it to Royal Gorge.

I've attached a photo of the LOML and LOML Jr. taken in the Garden of the Gods.

Dennis, driving out here is a little intense for me. I don't like heights but I was able to drive up to Rainbow Curve in the RMNP (they had the road closed at that point due to overnight snowfall). We rode the Cog railway up to Pikes Peak and skipped driving up. My oldest son didn't appreciate the view over the side of the road in RMNP but it didn't bother me at all :eek: I'd like to spend a few more weeks out here and see some more but that will have to wait for another vacation.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2004, 8:44 PM
Kevin....on your next trip you might want to take in Silverton and Durango in the southwestern corner of Colorado...while your in the area.....Mesa Verde..Anastasi(sp?) dwellings......4-Corners and Monument Valley Utah.....high elevation desert country.....40+ movies shot in Monument Valley....a lot of John Wayne's ....Clint Eastwood's Eigier Sanction....Thelma and Louise.....It's one of those places you've seen briefly 100 times and once you've visited it...you'll never forget it! I went back 40+ years after I first saw it as a young kid when I lived in the area.....40 + years later I was still awed by the desert beauty!

Chris Padilla
10-15-2004, 11:07 AM
We spent today in the Ft. Collins area. We toured the Anheiser Bush plant and drove around the Colorado State area. This is a beautiful area too.

Chris, I know why you miss this place. Absolutely beautiful and the people are friendly. We went to the Garden of the Gods (twice) but did not make it to Royal Gorge.
Kevin,

I did my undergraduate work at CSU in Fort Collins and then went down the road to the enemy and did my graduate work at CU in Boulder (where I met my wife). Fort Collins is very well-known for its microbreweries and Old Town in Ft. Collins is the place to visit. Try out Coopersmiths and New Belgium and Odell's are great beers there...I sure miss 'em. :) Hop on any road into the mountains and you'll be in for a treat! :) Follow along the Cache le Poudre river, too. I did moonlight rafting down it...incredible experience.

Christopher Pine
10-15-2004, 5:48 PM
Hi I am Chris and I live here in Denver. Welcome and feel free to come to woodworkers guild meeting on Tuesday night... IF you want to.
www.coloradowoodworkersguild.org
Tuesday night at rockler on south colorado blvd. Will be having a scrollsaw demo by one of the best in the nation Harold Foo's.. he has been published in many publications etc.. anyway Have a good time here! I like living here a lot but like many have said it is not as it once was... (Best kept secret for a long time).
Would be neat to meet you and or your family!!

Chris

Chris Padilla
10-15-2004, 6:51 PM
Chris,

The traffic on I-70 into/out of the mountains is a nightmare anymore. There is nothing like crawling through the Eisenhower tunnel on a Sunday night coming back after a full day of skiing. :( I just go to the best kept secret in skiing: Eldora! Well, only if a particular ski lift is running...:o

I'd love to pick up some acreage either along 93 between Boulder/Golden or up around Fort Collins. A good college buddy of mine who still lives in Fort Collins (never left after graduation) just put a bid in for 18 acres...lucky sucker....