PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly now shipping to Canada

Dave Lehnert
01-03-2010, 5:55 PM
Maybe this is old news but noticed in Grizzly new catalog it says "Now shipping to Canada. "

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2010, 6:41 PM
Maybe this is old news but noticed in Grizzly new catalog it says "Now shipping to Canada. "
its new news to me! :Dthey did not ship there for the longest time. I never understood what the issues were to stop them. :D

Jim Becker
01-03-2010, 10:13 PM
its new news to me! they did not ship there for the longest time. I never understood what the issues were to stop them.

Rumor has it that there was "someone else in the family" with a similar business up there already. But there would also be the customs/duty challenge. Regardless, it's nice to hear that folks in Canada now have the option of ordering from Grizzly.

Rod Sheridan
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Rumor has it that there was "someone else in the family" with a similar business up there already. But there would also be the customs/duty challenge. Regardless, it's nice to hear that folks in Canada now have the option of ordering from Grizzly.

Another issue is Canadian electrical approval for the equipment.

Obviously they felt it was worth the investment.

Regards, Rod.

Darius Ferlas
01-04-2010, 1:21 AM

Grizzly could be ordered to Canada via that "someone else in the family" i.e. BusyBee Tools (http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/category20?&NTDESC=Y)for some time. Customs and duty are a non issue (NAFTA and WTO). In some cased there will be an extra 6% duty on products made in China. Not sure how it works for corporations but have not heard of anybody having to pay this on any made in China tool. My last purchase was a PSI duct collector. I did have to pay local sales tax, but that applies to almost anything above certain amount.

Another issue is Canadian electrical approval for the equipment.

As per an electrical inspector, if it's certified for the US, for instance by UL, then it's automatically approved for use in Canada.

And the rumor seems to be the truth. Check their catalog (http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/3).

Rod Sheridan
01-04-2010, 8:20 AM
UL approval is not suitable for Canada, it needs to bear the CUL or ULC mark, or equivalent.

regards, Rod.

Rod Upfold
01-04-2010, 9:56 AM
Does this mean now that I can get their paper version of the catalogue for free instead of paying $10.00?

Rod

Darius Ferlas
01-04-2010, 11:07 AM
UL approval is not suitable for Canada, it needs to bear the CUL or ULC mark, or equivalent.

regards, Rod.
OK, not sure about all of Canada but American UL is perfectly good and approved by Ontario Electrical Safety Authority. See here (http://www.esasafe.com/GeneralPublic/epa_002B.php?s=19).

Rod Sheridan
01-04-2010, 12:40 PM
OK, not sure about all of Canada but American UL is perfectly good and approved by Ontario Electrical Safety Authority. See here (http://www.esasafe.com/GeneralPublic/epa_002B.php?s=19).
\
Darius, the marks you have indicated are CUL and ULC, which was what I stated.

UL, which is valid in the US, is not valid in Canada.

UL approval has to meet Canadian standards for Canada, which is where the "C" comes into play.

Regards, Rod.

Stephen Edwards
01-04-2010, 2:00 PM
So, the mark that has a UL inside of the circle with a C on one side and US on the other side (both the C and the US outside the circle) does that mean approved in both US and Canada? Thanks.

Rod Sheridan
01-04-2010, 2:31 PM
So, the mark that has a UL inside of the circle with a C on one side and US on the other side (both the C and the US outside the circle) does that mean approved in both US and Canada? Thanks.

Yes Stephen, if it has the "C" and the "US" it's approved in both countries....Rod.

P.S. There's even an "EU" symbol that can appear under the UL mark, and covers the EU countries.......Rod.

Jeremy Tomlinson
01-04-2010, 2:39 PM
the certification required is CSA. Some local authorities may be OK with UL according to code requirements but in a commercial shop where employees use electrical equipment Workers Compensation will mandate CSA certs. refer to OSHA in the US I believe.

Stephen Edwards
01-04-2010, 3:10 PM
Yes Stephen, if it has the "C" and the "US" it's approved in both countries....Rod.

P.S. There's even an "EU" symbol that can appear under the UL mark, and covers the EU countries.......Rod.

Thanks, Rod, for the clarification.

Darius Ferlas
01-04-2010, 3:21 PM
\
Darius, the marks you have indicated are CUL and ULC, which was what I stated.

UL, which is valid in the US, is not valid in Canada.

UL approval has to meet Canadian standards for Canada, which is where the "C" comes into play.

Scroll all the way down that page and click Who Can Certify Electrical Products in Ontario (http://www.esasafe.com/GeneralPublic/epa_002D.php). It will get you to a page where two (among others) organizations are listed:
Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC)
Underwriters' Laboratories Inc. (UL)

Rod Sheridan
01-04-2010, 4:01 PM
Scroll all the way down that page and click Who Can Certify Electrical Products in Ontario (http://www.esasafe.com/GeneralPublic/epa_002D.php). It will get you to a page where two (among others) organizations are listed:
Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC)
Underwriters' Laboratories Inc. (UL)

Darius, yes both organizations can certify apparatus, however only the ULC mark is valid in Canada, the UL mark is valid in the US, and the EU mark is valid in the EU countries.

I occasionally wind up with UL approved equipment at work, it has to be re-approved for use in Canada, we normally use a third party organization for that.

Regards, Rod.

Rick Fisher
01-04-2010, 4:10 PM
Well, I can give you first hand experience.. lol..

I imported a bunch of Shop Fox Machinery for resale about 4 years ago?

Some of it was UL approved.. some was not ..

The Electrical Inspector came into the store, checked it for CSA or (UL)c .. and wrote me up.. told me he would be back in 24 hours and if it was still on the retail floor, he would either fine us or possibly shut down the power..

So, I took it all off the floor..

Now I have been told that Shop Fox is actually getting some newer machines either CSA or (UL)c approved..

There is nothing to stop Grizzly from shipping you a non-CSA tool.. There are companies like Intertek testing that can offer electrical approval for use in Canada.. Its up to you to get it done..

If you have a fire, and they find a non-Csa tool in the shop.. you could easily lose your fire insurance.. or have to hire lawyers and experts to prove the fire was not started by the "dangerous" tools.

Ken Garlock
01-04-2010, 4:24 PM
Well, I can give you first hand experience.. lol..

I imported a bunch of Shop Fox Machinery for resale about 4 years ago?

Some of it was UL approved.. some was not ..

The Electrical Inspector came into the store, checked it for CSA or (UL)c .. and wrote me up.. told me he would be back in 24 hours and if it was still on the retail floor, he would either fine us or possibly shut down the power..

So, I took it all off the floor..

Sound pretty chicken sxxx to me. I guess these government wedges need to earn their pay somehow.

Wedge: simplest tool known to man.

Rick Fisher
01-04-2010, 10:05 PM
CSA is a tougher standard than most.. When I was shopping for a Phase Converter, I ran into it over and over..

American Rotary could provide a converter that would pass CSA, and have it (UL)c approved, but there was a significant up-charge.. Parts had to be changed out, it wasn't simply a matter of having it inspected..

Its really annoying.. Lately the Canadian Dollar has been about Par with the US dollar.. Yet machinery in the USA can be 20% cheaper in the USA...

Its not as easy as just going to Seattle and buying, due to CSA ..

Danny Burns
01-04-2010, 11:09 PM
I had heard that the CSA was a tougher standard, but I didn't know if ULC was the same. Surely this should not be a problem if Grizzly is not just barely reaching the lower UL standard, IF that is the case.

I am glad to see that Grizzly will be selling in Canada, since Busy Bee Tools does not have the extensive line of tools that Grizzly has, and so having both options is always nice.

Rick Fisher
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
CSA is a higher standard.. In places where UL would allow Aluminum.. like a ground bar, CSA may call for copper..

Other things are different.. like sealed switches .. I really don't know that much about it ..

Most hand held electric power tools are CSA.. All of Festool is CSA.. Probaby cheaper to just make one model.. In the bigger stuff, its likely cheaper not to go to CSA standard.

Rod Sheridan
01-05-2010, 8:51 AM
Sound pretty chicken sxxx to me. I guess these government wedges need to earn their pay somehow.

Wedge: simplest tool known to man.

Ken, countries have safety standards for electrical equipment, for very good reasons.

I was responsible for CSA certifications of custom electrical equipment for the 8 years I worked as a manager in an equipment manufacturing company.

Equipment that would pass UL approval (we had some American customers) wouldn't often pass CSA approval.

The flip side was also true in some respects.

The standards were different, so if you wanted a piece of equipment that passed both qualification tests, it often increased the cost of the equipment.

UL now have ULC (Canada), and EU (EU countries).

It is possible to have a piece of equipment with the UL mark, with a US , a C and an EU arranged around it, which gives approval for all three jurisdictions.

Note that the above is for the electrical portion of the equipment only, mechanical aspects would require other inspection standards.

Regards, Rod.

Eddie Darby
01-05-2010, 1:28 PM
I wonder if the people at Grizzly Tools addressed this issue before offering tools to Canadians, or if it's a case of buyer beware??

Shiraz?

Ken Garlock
01-05-2010, 5:51 PM
Ken, countries have safety standards for electrical equipment, for very good reasons.

I was responsible for CSA certifications of custom electrical equipment for the 8 years I worked as a manager in an equipment manufacturing company.

Equipment that would pass UL approval (we had some American customers) wouldn't often pass CSA approval.

Regards, Rod.

Rod, I have a very narrow point of view on this subject, and it is very simple. The UL does not just stand at the end of the production line and throw stickers and electrical items. If the UL approves it, it is good enough for anyone anywhere. :D

Rod Sheridan
01-05-2010, 7:46 PM
Rod, I have a very narrow point of view on this subject, and it is very simple. The UL does not just stand at the end of the production line and throw stickers and electrical items. If the UL approves it, it is good enough for anyone anywhere. :Ds Rod.

LOL, that was funny Ken, very good...........Regard

P.S Kind of supports the need for global standards doesn't it?

Chris Friesen
01-06-2010, 2:19 PM
I wonder if the people at Grizzly Tools addressed this issue before offering tools to Canadians, or if it's a case of buyer beware?

If it's for private use, it probably doesn't matter. I asked my insurance person about non-permitted electrical work and she explicitly said that "homeowner stupidity" is covered. :)

If it's for commercial use, that's another story.

Chuck Wintle
01-06-2010, 6:37 PM
personally I would think standards for both countries must be p4retty much the same? :D

Jim Chandler
02-15-2010, 7:01 PM
If you have a fire, and they find a non-Csa tool in the shop.. you could easily lose your fire insurance.. or have to hire lawyers and experts to prove the fire was not started by the "dangerous" tools.[/QUOTE]

I don't usually advertise that I work for an insurance company (makes it tough to make friends ;)) But I have worked in the industry for about 15 years and I can tell you in Canada I have never seen a claim denied because of a non-ulc/csa item and there is nothing in the contract that would preclude coverage in the event of a loss.

That being said..... in Rick's case as a retailer I could see him being sued if it could be shown that a peice of non ulc/csa equipment caused a loss.