PDA

View Full Version : blade vibration

dan petroski
01-03-2010, 5:44 PM
What can be done about table saw blade vibration?

Bill Huber
01-03-2010, 5:49 PM
Is it doing it just running or is it when you are cutting?

If its doing it just running then I would say get a new blade.

If it is when you are sawing slow down the feed rate.

You could also get blade stabilizers.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10507

Dale Coons
01-03-2010, 5:50 PM
1) link belt
2) machined pulleys
3) blade stiffener

These three made my grizzly contractor saw go shakin and grindin to a smooth running machine--I can put a penny on edge and it will stay there.

dan petroski
01-03-2010, 6:08 PM
it only happens while sawing. just what are blade stabelizers? how are they made. how do they function? i ask because i have a small machine shop and i can make them.

harry strasil
01-03-2010, 6:39 PM
IMHO, so called balanced pulleys are a joke, pulleys are generally too small to make much of difference if any, and notched belts are much better than those high priced pieced together jobs that have a tendency to stretch a lot and get loose and melt in two when they stop pulling. FWIW

Bill Huber
01-03-2010, 7:02 PM
IMHO, so called balanced pulleys are a joke, pulleys are generally too small to make much of difference if any, and notched belts are much better than those high priced pieced together jobs that have a tendency to stretch a lot and get loose and melt in two when they stop pulling. FWIW

Everyone has there likes and dislikes, I have never used or seen small balanced pulleys but machined pulleys are much better then the cast one that come on a lot of power tools. They are much smoother running then the cast one.

On the Link Belt, I had a good Gates notched belt on my table saw. The problem was it took a set and then would vibrate like mad. I switched to the Link Belt and it has run smooth as can be for over a year now.

So maybe you have just not had the chance to use them on something that it works on, I am sure they will not hole up as good as a notched in a lot of applications.

Bill Huber
01-03-2010, 7:07 PM
it only happens while sawing. just what are blade stabelizers? how are they made. how do they function? i ask because i have a small machine shop and i can make them.

The ones I have seen are just like a big flat washer.

Here are some good pictures of them on Forrest Blade site.

http://www.forrestblades.com/dampner.htm

john bateman
01-04-2010, 11:36 AM
My contractor saw had a problem with vibration during the cut. It turned out that I needed to keep the bevel lock engaged when the blade is at zero degrees to prevent this.

It recently began to occur again, and I wondered what could be wrong. Examining the blade, I found a tooth missing and another tooth chipped.

Replacing that blade fixed the problem.