PDA

View Full Version : Addicted

MIKE E BEE
01-03-2010, 5:23 PM
Hello Gents.

I got a small table top lathe for Christmas. I have quickly become addicted. This is really great fun.

Below is my first finished bowl. I turned out 4 other bowls of various shapes before this one from some 2 x 8 stud lumber just for practice.

This one is oak and maple. Its a 7 inch by 3.5 bowl.

I am open for all critics, tips and pointers.

David Christopher
01-03-2010, 5:26 PM
Mike, thats the way to introduce your self ( pics )....that is a good looking bowl. and welcome to the creek

MIKE E BEE
01-03-2010, 5:59 PM
Thanks David.

I was given a tree for Christmas as well(not a Christmas tree). Apparently it is coveted by wood turners. Something to do with a disease in the wood that makes the grain go in all different directions. What is this called? Does anyone have a picture of something turned from this type of wood? Sorry for being such a rookie!

Thanks

Bill Bolen
01-03-2010, 6:00 PM
Welcome to the vortex sir! The pull of turning is strong. I'm glad to see you are not resisting.....Pretty bowl, especially from a stud. And great photo's to boot...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2010, 6:00 PM
Mike - Welcome to the Creek!

Congrats on getting into the wonderful world of turning! Cool looking first bowl! Lots of folks here to help you on your journey into the Vortex - so if you have any questions - be sure to ask!

Looking forward to seeing your next turning!

David Christopher
01-03-2010, 6:13 PM
Thanks David.

I was given a tree for Christmas as well(not a Christmas tree). Apparently it is coveted by wood turners. Something to do with a disease in the wood that makes the grain go in all different directions. What is this called? Does anyone have a picture of something turned from this type of wood? Sorry for being such a rookie!

Thanks
I believe youre talking a burl..kinda looks like a knot on the outside of a tree and a crazy grain pattern on the inside

alex carey
01-03-2010, 7:01 PM
congrats on the lathe, welcome to the forum and to the vortex, you'll never get out.

MIKE E BEE
01-03-2010, 7:10 PM
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the response and the pic. I look forward to actually seeing the tree, cutting it down should be fun too, but obviously turning out some stuff will be the be the most rewarding. Problem is its in Virginia and I am in NH. Going to have to fill up a truck and haul it back up. Should make for a great trip though. When I get to that point I will need some advice on the whole drying process.

Thanks for all you feedback guys. Glad to be in the VORTEX!!!

MIKE E BEE
01-03-2010, 7:13 PM
Hi William,

That is fantastic piece in your avatar. WOW! AWESOME!!

MIKE E BEE
01-03-2010, 7:16 PM
Thanks Steve,

Will do. I need all the help I can get at this point so glad to know you guys are here. This is a great forum!!

Roger Bullock
01-03-2010, 7:23 PM
Nice first bowl Mike. I'll make you a little bet. Bet you can't turn just one pen. What do you think SMC, do you think he could turn just one pen? If the bowls haven't sucked him into the vortex all the way (and it appears they have), making just one pen will do him in for good.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-03-2010, 7:38 PM
Mike, if you are hauling it back, I suggest you take some Armor Seal to paint the cut ends of the log. It will help slow down the cracking on the ends. If cut ends are exposed cracking usually occurs, and you dont want that. Assuming you are cutting it to sizes you can handle.When you get it home, apply another coat till you can get to it to split it and rough it into bowls.Then, seal the end grain.Store it in a dry, not necessarily warm place out of direct weather. Do you have a turning club near you? If so, whether a member or not, ask someone what to do next, I am sure they will be glad to help with advice on how they do it. Consider strongly joiniong the club. Fees are surprisingly low, and you will have plenty of advisers. Just my .02 cents after taxes. Max

Jack Mincey
01-03-2010, 8:08 PM
Mike,
Your bowl looks great for your first one to finish. Welcome to the addiction. You are in good company with your new addiction. Get ready for a wild ride down into the vortex of woodturning. There is no escape as far as I know.:)
Happy Turning
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2010, 8:11 PM
Mike welcome to SMC. Really nice bowl. Sounds like you are slipping down the slippery slope like most of us did.

David E Keller
01-03-2010, 9:18 PM
Congrats on the first completed bowl... even bigger congrats on a truck load of burl. Agree with the suggestions on sealing the ends of the logs to prevent checking. I think most of use would rough turn the wood and let it dry via one of the many methods listed on the site(denatured alcohol, end grain sealer, paper bags w/ or w/o shavings, etc). Then once it's dry, return it to the lathe for final finishing. The other option is to turn it green and thin and let it warp. Welcome aboard.

gary Zimmel
01-03-2010, 9:49 PM
Welcome to the Creek Mike and congrats on your first bowl.

Hang on to your wallet, this vortex is pretty strong....

MIKE E BEE
01-04-2010, 7:40 AM
Thanks for your .02 cents. Ha Ha. I am brand new to all of this so thats all news to me. Sounds like great advice. I will ask around about a turning club in my area. A co-worker of mine should know, he is the one who pointed me to this site and I am glad he did. Very good people!!