PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Fast vs Wolverine

Dave Ogren
01-03-2010, 4:06 PM
I would like to read about a comparrison between the Sharp Fast and the Wolverine sharpening jigs. Is anyone familiar with both ??

Thanks,

Dave

Bob Haverstock
01-03-2010, 4:34 PM
Dave,

If most of the turners have had the same experiences that I have had with the Wolverine, that is good ones, you won't find many with both systems.

I went cheap, a Woodcraft slow speed grinder and a basic Wolverine kit, looking back, it was money well spent. If I would sell my Jet lathe, I would still keep my Wolverine and grinder.

Bob Haverstock

Jamie Straw
01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Bob's probably right that it's going to be hard to find people who've used both system, with the Wolverine having the track record that it does. I have the Wolverine basic system plus the VeriGrind 2, and can offer the following observations, after watching a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbaBfmtW1E8)about the SharpFast:

While the VG2 (as opposed to the VG original) doesn't seem to be problematic with respect to falling off the edge of the wheel (if you pay attention), I really like the apparent stability of the SharpFast -- the operator can take his hands off the tool and it stays put (not when grinding, obviously). With either the VG or the VG2 you cannot do this, and the VG2 is very bulky and awkward, IMHO. When adjusting the tool's distance, you have to keep hold of the VG jig.
The SharpFast is very lean -- it doesn't appear to me that anything in the jig would interfere with your grinder or with the ferrule or handle of the tool. With the VG2, I had to buy a more modern grinder because the jig didn't work with my old grinder, due to the part of the grinder body that mounts a tool rest. And I've had problems with the VG2 jig interfering with the ferrule on a shortened skew iron. It appears that the SharpFast could handle a variety of tools (mini's for instance?).
On the other hand, with the Wolverine VG, one can remove the tool (with the VG attached) and look at the edge under a magnifier light, as us old folk frequently must do.;) But with the SharpFast's "stops", it would be easy to slip it back into the holder after removing it, and get the exact same grind.
Minor point: The provision of slotted holes for the mounting screws is very smart. With the Wolverine, you need to get your alignment pretty perfect. I made the holes for the grinder-mounting screws a little oversized so I could make adjustments for parallel and side-to-side.
Since I got the VG2 and struggled somewhat with it, I'd been thinking about switching to the VG original. But the SharpFast looks better. Ultimately, how well it's made would be very important. Just my .02;)

Gordon Seto
01-03-2010, 11:26 PM
While the VG2 (as opposed to the VG original) doesn't seem to be problematic with respect to falling off the edge of the wheel (if you pay attention),

I have not used the VG2 nor the SharpFast. But I think their strong selling point of "won't falling off the edge of the wheel" is also their weakness.
With the original VG, we are supposed to used the whole width of the wheel to even out the wear. No doubt the "new & improved" captured system is safer for beginners. But only using the center of the wheel would leave a big groove that need to be trued and dressed in order to sharpen any none gouge shape flat edge tools.

Tormek now has the dry grinder set up.
http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories/bgm100/index.php
The price ($150 for the bundle) is very competitive with other sharpening system. IMO, just the handbook would put this over the edge.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/13375
I like their TTS-100 set up jig. It is faster and more accurate to sharpen than VG. It is so simple, you don't even have to look from the side of the wheel to match the bevel in adjusting the distance.

Jim Sebring
01-04-2010, 12:58 AM
If one already has a Tormek, all that is needed to use the jigs on a dry grinder is a new support arm base. The base costs about $24 at Rockler or Woodcraft. The manual is a free download from the tormek.com website.

I made my wood support block for the base removeable from the grinder platform so I could continue to use the Wolverine platform. I use the dry grinder setup mostly for gouge shaping, then do sharpening on the Tormek I've had for about 8 years. I built the Tormek setup for the right (80 grit Norton) wheel, only. The left wheel is the original 46 grit supplied with the grinder. It only gets used for rough grinding of expendable stuff.

Jamie Straw
01-04-2010, 12:23 PM
[snip]
Tormek now has the dry grinder set up.
http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories/bgm100/index.php
The price ($150 for the bundle) is very competitive with other sharpening system. IMO, just the handbook would put this over the edge.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/13375
I like their TTS-100 set up jig. It is faster and more accurate to sharpen than VG. It is so simple, you don't even have to look from the side of the wheel to match the bevel in adjusting the distance.

Sure wish I'd know about this in November! (was it on the market then?) Less expensive than the Wolverine set-up (with VG2), and better evidently. Obviously, I was hanging out at the wrong place for turning info.:eek:

BTW, sharpening gouges with the VG2, I don't really find that the gouge only rides in the center (unless, perhaps, it's a very narrow gouge). However, it is bulky and awkward compared to the SharpFast and Tormek jigs.

willie sobat
01-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I have the Wolverine with the old VG. I am happy with the system as is. Since it is all I have used (besides honing freehand) ignorance may be bliss.

Dave Ogren
01-04-2010, 1:01 PM
Thanks guys,
I am trying to absorb this. I really appreciate it. I am having trouble to get the audio to be understandable in the video link that Jamie Straw attached. I will keep trying.
Thanks again, keep it up.
Good Luck,

Dave

Sean Hughto
01-04-2010, 2:27 PM
I have and use the varigrind. I was amused when watching the Grumbine video to hear Bill describe my lazy method of using the VG as his favored method too: he doesn't mess withthe elaborate instructions to sharpen his gouges with the VG, but just approximates and then set the arm to get the contact along the bevel and does the deed. Works a charm for simple quick refreshes of the edge. Takes less than a minute to get back to turning. I can't imagine a better system. Maybe equal, but not better.

Mauricio Ulloa
01-04-2010, 2:43 PM
Hi,

I use the Wolverine because it is reliable, sturdy, standard and reasonably priced. I can get repeatable high quality sharpening out of it. Every dime spent on it was worth it!

Best Regards,

M