PDA

View Full Version : Bonding Stainless Trim to Wood

David Perata
01-03-2010, 4:02 PM
I have a situation where I need to bond pre-formed radius stainless steel channels onto thin wood for small drawer sides. The channel fits snugly over the edge of the 1/4" thick wood parts but I need to be able to apply a bead of glue to the wood edge, place the channel onto the edge and then clamp the part in a form to insure that the channel conforms to the curvature of the wood. These parts only measure about 6" X 6".

I've solved everything but the glue. I need a quick set so that I don't have to leave each part in the clamp for hours. It needs to bond wood and metal. And whether one part or two part, it needs to exit through a single nozzle, i.e., a pre-mix situation that lends itself to making a couple dozen parts at a time.

I've looked at the Titebond HiPurformer hot melt system in a catalog but am not sure if it would bond metal as well as wood.

Most of the metal parts fit well but some need a little pressure. The clamp will handle that, but the glue needs to securely hold the tension of the stainless channel.

Any ideas?

Rich Neighbarger
01-03-2010, 6:15 PM
5 Minute epoxy?

hout slager
01-03-2010, 6:36 PM
try any thixotropic contact adhesive , put it on both faces to be glued, wait 30minutes- go have a cup of tea/ coffee , put the pieces together, clam for 5 - 30minutes and you chould be done.
hth,
karl