PDA

View Full Version : Gunleather

Steven Wallace
01-03-2010, 3:40 PM
Just doing what all of us have done over the years... experimenting. My wife got a handgun last year but it is one that is very hard to find a holster for. I decided to use Corel to design a pattern and then used the laser to cut it out (including the holes needed for hand stitching it together). I think it turned out pretty well for the same quality that I would have had to pay upwards of $70 retail for. It is lined so that there is smooth side on both the inside and outside. Dyed it a color called prairie tan but doesn't show well in the pictures. What do you think? I know that there are not as many gun nuts on this forum as on others. However there are a lot of creative people and I did use the laser. Thanks

Curt Stallings
01-03-2010, 3:45 PM
Great job Steven! How did you shape the leather to the gun?

Curt

Jack Burton
01-03-2010, 3:51 PM
I am a proud Gun Nut and I love your holster!

Dee Gallo
01-03-2010, 4:08 PM
Hey, Steve, nice job! I have the same Taurus - nice size for small hands.

:) dee

Ray Uebner
01-03-2010, 4:10 PM
Great Job. A holster any gun owner would be proud to own. I have not made any but have engraved some of mine. Just put laser grips on my wife's gun so all she has to do is to put the red dot where she wants the bullet to go. She is a good shoot though but the red dot does deture having to use it.

Steven Wallace
01-03-2010, 4:13 PM
Once you have it stitched together you wet the leather (not dripping wet but saturated). Then let it dry until it is just about its normal coloring. Take something like the end of a Sharpie marker (that is what I used) that has a rounded end and gently rub it against the leather to mold the leather to the firearm. Leave the firearm in place until the leather is fully dry. Clean the surface of and lube your firearm after this step. Be careful not to mar the leather that is why you do not want to use something sharp that might puncture the leathers surface.:mad: Hope that explains it. Thanks for the compliments and questions.:)

Bob Tate
01-03-2010, 4:22 PM
Very nice job. It looks very professional. Your wife will wear that with pride.
I wonder how many holster makers are considering a laser. In the long run it has to be cheaper than the current dies they use. Especially for the holsters that are not sold as much, i.e. short run jobs.

I just got leather yesterday. Am going to attempt the same thing for my new Colt Anaconda. That gun has not been made since 1999 and holsters are hard to find. Besides, a custom holster, like yours, adds a note of elegance.

Bob

Frank Corker
01-03-2010, 7:00 PM
Great job Steve, I'm going to make one for my crayons!

Steven Wallace
01-03-2010, 7:16 PM
I forgot you guys in the UK gave up your rights to firearms... sorry didn't mean to rub it in.

Tom Bull
01-03-2010, 8:43 PM
That looks great. What weight leather did you use? I have been making leather stamps for a friend who does leather, might be able to get him to help me on a project like that. Does the pistol stay in place from friction? You said it is lined, what is the lining, leather? What weight is it?

Steven Wallace
01-04-2010, 12:27 AM
That looks great. What weight leather did you use? I have been making leather stamps for a friend who does leather, might be able to get him to help me on a project like that. Does the pistol stay in place from friction? You said it is lined, what is the lining, leather? What weight is it?

To answer two questions with one answer, I took some 4-5 oz leather and cut 2 pieces and glued them back to back so that the inside and outside are both smooth. That is how the holster is lined. Yes, it is a friction fit and yet easily removed. The gun loaded does not fall out freely when the holster is turned upside down. The sculpting of the leather to the contours of the pistol also helps keep it in place. So far, those that have seen it wonder why I didn't do any decorative work on the front side. I was trying to keep this one low key. I may do a more decorated one next. But as I stated in the original post to this thread, I was just experimenting. Heck, I wasn't even sure it would fit. When it did, I knew all the measuring twice (four times), cut once paid off. There are still minor adjustments my wife would like, like closing off the bottom. I won out this time.

Steven Wallace
01-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Hey, Steve, nice job! I have the same Taurus - nice size for small hands.

Gee, Dee,
An artistic, laser running, pistol packing momma. (do your customers know about your complaint resolution department?) As soon as I saw your post, my wife ask me if they really allowed people in New York to own guns. I have told her yes, but it is not a fun process to go through.:D What caliber is yours?:confused:

Steve:)

Cameron Reddy
01-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Fantastic! Beautiful holster! My wife and I are Gunsite graduates, and I teach lawful use of lethal force for a couple of organizations that run classes for citizens to obtain a Michigan's concealed pistol license.

If you haven't already, check out Mitch Rosen http://www.mitchrosen.com/ for some really fine examples of gun leather.

Shoot straight, and speak the truth.

Cameron Reddy

Steve C Wallace
01-04-2010, 7:49 AM
Fantastic! Beautiful holster! My wife and I are Gunsite graduates, and I teach lawful use of lethal force for a couple of organizations that run classes for citizens to obtain a Michigan's concealed pistol license.

If you haven't already, check out Mitch Rosen http://www.mitchrosen.com/ for some really fine examples of gun leather.

Cameron Reddy
Cameron thanks for the comments. How did you like Frontsight? (PM might be better on this subject, kind of off topic) I like Mitch Rosen's work it looks like I saved myself $145 for a very similar holster and have the pride of saying that I did it myself. However, I don't think I will be going into the holster business anytime soon. These guys that have the stamped patterns and mock pistols to do the boning or sculpturing are dollars ahead of me. I will try to pick up some odd money on the side doing leather for someone local that will let me have their firearm long enough to do a pattern and fit it to their gun. Shipping and insuring guns becomes a whole other issue I am not ready to tackle (FFL) and storing guns on site. Nope. Purchasing mock guns in a quantity and variety is beyond my current means $$$.

Dan Hintz
01-04-2010, 8:15 AM
Steve,

If you're interested in going a little more global, have them remove (and hang onto) the barrel, magazines, etc. before shipping it to you. As long as the pieces in the box cannot be reassembled into a working firearm, I believe you will be able to legally store the components without requiring an FFL.

Personally, I chose a simple stiff cloth holster due to the price and expedience (I was heading to the range the same day I picked up my first sidearm), but a form-fitted leather piece would sure be nice.

Dee Gallo
01-04-2010, 8:36 AM
Gee, Dee,
An artistic, laser running, pistol packing momma. (do your customers know about your complaint resolution department?) As soon as I saw your post, my wife ask me if they really allowed people in New York to own guns. I have told her yes, but it is not a fun process to go through.:D What caliber is yours?:confused:

Steve:)

hahaha - it's just a .25 nothing more than a target pistol, but around here, everyone has guns for hunting, varmint control and target shooting. We're actually closer to Canada than anywhere, a good 8 hour drive north of NYC.

I certainly use my laser a lot more than my Taurus. It's a lot more fun and lot more productive use of my time!

cheers, dee

David Fairfield
01-04-2010, 8:44 AM
Uh, asking people to send you stripped firearms through the mail without an FFL is asking for trouble. One thing I learned in the engraving biz, there is a certain percent of the population who can not follow simple directions, no matter how simple. They always find a way to screw up and make your life complicated.

Dave

Steven Wallace
01-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I really don't want to get into the shipping of firearms. I prefer the face to face on this one. I do have a safe for storage but I know that there are a ton of regulations and hoops that I just don't know that its worth. That one holster took me about 3 hours to do. I look at the thread 30 things you wish you knew before you started your business and I am certain I could add that gun leather just might not be profitable. I wish some one would prove me wrong. There was one statement made don't say you can do something if you haven't done it. Well here is just one more thing I can honestly say that I have done. Again, Thanks for all the comments. If you decide you want to try this project and have questions, shoot me a message. I will gladly let you know what I did and what I wouldn't do again.

Dave Johnson29
01-04-2010, 10:20 AM
As long as the pieces in the box cannot be reassembled into a working firearm, I believe you will be able to legally store the components without requiring an FFL.

BUZZZZZ - Nope, the part with the serial number on it cannot be shipped to a non-FFL holder, with or without the other parts.

Cameron Reddy
01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
And how about product liability insurance? For gun holsters? :eek::eek::eek:

Dan Hintz
01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
BUZZZZZ - Nope, the part with the serial number on it cannot be shipped to a non-FFL holder, with or without the other parts.
Ah, that was it! Thanks, Dave...

Lee DeRaud
01-04-2010, 11:12 AM
As soon as I saw your post, my wife ask me if they really allowed people in New York to own guns. I have told her yes, but it is not a fun process to go through.:DYou're probably thinking of the New York City laws. There's a huge difference between upstate and NYC w.r.t. gun laws.

Steven Wallace
01-04-2010, 6:07 PM
Lee you're right I forget that NYC is a country in and of itself and the more normal people live up state. Upstate for the most part is anything 25 miles outside the city limits of NYC. At least that is how it seemed when I used to travel for business 15 years ago.

Steven Wallace
01-04-2010, 6:15 PM
You are both right but the kicker is that a FFL dealer can only ship whole firearms to another FFL dealer. And an individual can not ship firearms to a business without the business being an FFL owner. The thing is if I want to go hunting in Texas from Arizona, I can ship my guns to my son in Texas without the use of a FFL dealer to intervene because he is not a business and I am sending them as a private individual. Laws are so confusing and meant to be that way it seems. I suggest that anyone reading this not take any of our advice without first checking the laws between the states from which you plan on transferring these items. I am not versed in nor want to give legal advice. If I was a lawyer I would be doing this as a hobby.

Mark Winlund
01-04-2010, 6:15 PM
And how about product liability insurance? For gun holsters? :eek::eek::eek:

I can hear it now.... "your honor, this man knowingly made this product that carried a gun! Without the holster, this crime could not have happened. The maker of this dangerous product should be equally responsible!"

Mark

Steven Wallace
01-04-2010, 6:18 PM
That is a thought but how many people have been killed by holsters? For that matter, how many people have been killed by firearms not in the hands of an individual? Litigation will always be an issue as long as we continue not to hold people responsible for their own action.

Steve C Wallace
01-04-2010, 10:25 PM

Cameron Reddy

Cameron I meant to say Gunsite in my earlier post. It's just that I keep getting emails from the front sight folks. Thanks.

Brian Jacobs
01-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Since this IS an engraver's forum, this pic was sent to me a few months ago. I wouldn't want to justify that engraving to a prosecutor if that gun was used in a self-defense shooting.

Bill Cunningham
01-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Darn.. Thats nice.. I use a cheepo uncle mikes for my .40 1911 style Para on the range.. When I draw from it, every one says it sounds like the 'zipper' in the police academy movies :D CCW is currently not an option in Canada, (too many previous liberal governments) But its perfectly legal to toss my tactical 12ga on the back seat next to a box of ammo and drive around(the police would certainly ask a lot of questions why, but it is legal here). It just can't be loaded at the time..go figger..:mad: I have some nice leather that would make a great holster.. yer giving me ideas...

Len Levi
01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
That one holster took me about 3 hours to do.

Did that include the computer time to make the design and space all
the needle holes?

That sure is a beautiful holster.

Steven Wallace
01-06-2010, 1:32 AM
No, since this was a one off the original time to take all the measurements several time to get it right was probably a half hour. Then another half hour in Corel and using the step and repeat docker makes doing the needle holes a piece of cake. Simply set the direction of the step, the distance between and how many you want. Bingo it's done.

Steven Wallace
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Well as with anything, there is always room for change.
Sandy said she preferred black and with a little more design element. So I made it a little longer to hide the muzzle and added a slight more leather up the slide to get rid of the flat top look. She likes the changes.:)

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-07-2010, 10:44 PM
I like the new changes too. It looks very good.

Steven Wallace
01-08-2010, 7:01 AM
Thanks that makes 3 of you that like the change and no one has said they did not. Guess I'm going in the right direction. plus I've had 3 local orders.

Joe Hayes
01-08-2010, 8:05 AM
Steven - I like the color of the leather in the first one. :) I really like both designs. Now you have me interested in doing a holster for a couple pistols that I don't have holsters for. Nice job!

Dee Gallo
01-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Well as with anything, there is always room for change.
Sandy said she preferred black and with a little more design element. So I made it a little longer to hide the muzzle and added a slight more leather up the slide to get rid of the flat top look. She likes the changes.:)

Another vote for the new improved style! Everything you changed made it more usable and more attractive - good job!

Steven Wallace
01-09-2010, 1:04 PM
Steven - I like the color of the leather in the first one. :) I really like both designs. Now you have me interested in doing a holster for a couple pistols that I don't have holsters for. Nice job!

Joe what is nice about the lighter color leathers is that you can embellish them with your laser and they show up quite nicely. If I was to do this, I would do the embellishment after I stitched it together but before I did the shaping. That way the finishing process protect all the elements. Experiment on some scrap pieces once you cut out your pattern and before you move on to finishing the piece. Thanks for the comments.

Steven Wallace
01-09-2010, 1:06 PM
Dee, thanks for your encouraging statements. I was thinking that it was just my wife not appreciating my hard work. :)

Steven Wallace
01-09-2010, 4:02 PM
May have found a new niche. I can't believe it but have had 6 persons total in one day come to me already, after posting on FB and here, expressing interest in me making holsters for them. I took the holster to work to show a coworker and was surprised at the number of persons that have firearms that they can't find holsters for from the major gun leather outlets. This especially goes for custom fitted and hand stitched pieces. Who would have thunk it... If they only knew that they are hand stitched out of necessity of not having a heavy duty sewing machine. Plus I like the creative process. Now comes the hard part of any business,"pricing"... too little or too much, how much profit, how much time... crazy.

Darryl Jacobs
01-09-2010, 6:04 PM
These are great looking leather works!!

Both colours are great and the workmanship is fantastic. I would say that if you have generated that much interest in such a short time, then go with the flow and get to work!! Niche markets like this do not come that often so when they do, take advantage of them.

Maybe try engraving a pattern where you can. Even softly on the soft leather would look great!

Very creative style by the way.

Darryl

Len Levi
01-09-2010, 8:21 PM
Can you make one with hand lacing. Cut the slits with the laser
and its shouldn't be too difficult.

Great work! Keep it Up.

Here's one with round holes, slits would be better.

Dee Gallo
01-09-2010, 8:59 PM
May have found a new niche. I can't believe it but have had 6 persons total in one day come to me already, after posting on FB and here, expressing interest in me making holsters for them. I took the holster to work to show a coworker and was surprised at the number of persons that have firearms that they can't find holsters for from the major gun leather outlets. This especially goes for custom fitted and hand stitched pieces. Who would have thunk it... If they only knew that they are hand stitched out of necessity of not having a heavy duty sewing machine. Plus I like the creative process. Now comes the hard part of any business,"pricing"... too little or too much, how much profit, how much time... crazy.

Good going, Steve! A niche is such an elusive thing, but grab on! What are you looking at for pricing? I can tell you from experience that holsters are expensive and there's not much choice (as if you didn't know), so go for the high end customers! I'd order one myself if I didn't already fork out too much for a ho-hum black same-as-everyone-else's one. That, plus I never wear it anyway. :rolleyes:

Love the way you slid into this niche, I hope it becomes a real money maker for you! Your work is excellent now, just think where you will go next as you get more orders.

Steven Wallace
01-09-2010, 9:14 PM
I have done several pieces in the past like that, not holsters but wallets. In fact the wallet I carry has my company name on it and is laced together like that. I plan on making a western style holster for one of my guns and I will use that lacing style. thanks for the comment and suggestion. Great minds as they say...

Steven Wallace
01-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Dee, I know what you are saying and definitely my time is valuable. No matter how I look at it, I can't get anymore than 24 hours stretched into one day. That being said, one of the gentlemen that saw my holster and laid his hands on it, first asked if I had gotten it from a holster maker that he had done business with. He had purchased a similar holster for $175 from the other maker. I was considering $125 to the $150 range depending on the size and configuration. I'll just have to see how much the economy has hurt this market too. To start with I might go less expensive just to get the use of the firearms I need to make the patterns. That is a trade off from having to buy model guns to use.

Anthony Welch
01-10-2010, 9:09 AM
I'll just have to see how much the economy has hurt this market too.

Gun sales went from 11 million in 2008 to 12 million in 2009, as reported by this link.
It took me 5 months last year to get brass and bullets for the pens I make.

So the economy hasn't hit this market yet. I myself, relate the 2nd admendment as a staple item, along with food, shelter, etc.
(No intention in making this political. Just showing that money spent in this industry is not lacking.)

Anthony

Dee Gallo
01-10-2010, 9:27 AM
To start with I might go less expensive just to get the use of the firearms I need to make the patterns. That is a trade off from having to buy model guns to use.

Steven,

I think this is smart move. You not only get some models to make patterns from but also get good hands-on practice with various configurations. I think the $125-150 price is fair to all and your time for each one will shorten with experience. It's not fair for customers to pay top dollar for your learning curve, as it's really the expertise they are paying for. If you are slow, that's your problem, really, not theirs. So your overall profit will go up naturally.

I have always hated people saying something is "easy" for me to do when it's taken years of study and practice to get to a point where it comes easily. After you have a good customer base and solid technique down, I'd raise the price and nobody will blink. At least that's how I built my biz and it's been very solid even in these bad economic times. Customers will talk with like potential customers and send them your way.

Steven Wallace
01-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Bill you don't know how close to the truth that is... but I believe that they also have a group photo of our legislators next to his picture as the top selling organization. That is the end of my political comments. I could say more but have been warned that this is not the place and I totally agree with the moderators. For the most part politics and religion could be too much a hot button and I respect all of your opinions. Thanks for the comments.

Mike Null
01-13-2010, 6:59 AM
Please refrain from making political comments or we will close this thread.

The subject of the thread is holsters. Let's keep it there.

Frank Corker
01-13-2010, 9:18 AM
Steve I like the new changes and I also like the colours better. Now I'm not much of one with guns etc, being a crayon man myself, however have you considered adding the option of a clip strap coming from the back of the holster, across the handle and clipping on the side. Just in case one of your potential customers decides that he needs to do cartwheels or decides he wants to slide across the bonnet of his car in Starsky/Hutch stlyle and is concerned that it might get jolted out.

I think you might be able to expand your options for potential customers by having it as a 'safety option available'. All it would take would be a bit more leather and a press stud. Then you can expand to small pouch for holding more ammunition (or crayons of various colours). But all in all, I think you are onto a winner here.

Dan Hintz
01-13-2010, 9:34 AM
So Frank, what do you use to take down a bad guy, Burnt Sienna? Maybe Thistle (though it's now discontinued)? :D

For a nice sidetrack, check out the Wikipedia for Crayola colors... I didn't realize B&S made so many different colors (including metallics, pearlescents, and neons).

Frank Corker
01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Very close Dan, Burnt umber is my crayon of choice!

Steven Wallace
01-13-2010, 1:32 PM
Frank, Thanks for the additional comments. I am guessing with your background you may have turned a cartwheel or two in your life experience. These are all options that I will talk over with potential customers. All things considered, there is a multitude of options that could be offered; point of carry, holster rake, safety strap, thumb break, outside the belt, on the belt, inside the waistband, belt threaded through loops or snapped easy on/ easy off loops, attached or separate magazine pouch, in the pocket concealment holster... I could go broke just making samples. However, I am willing to try anything configuration a consumer might have in their mind.

Frank Corker
01-13-2010, 5:03 PM
Steve I think you should at least have one made up with with the saftey feature, at least they can see what they might have available.

Bill Cunningham
01-14-2010, 7:51 PM
Please refrain from making political comments or we will close this thread.

The subject of the thread is holsters. Let's keep it there.

Sorry....My bad...

Mike Null
01-15-2010, 7:36 AM
Bill

Thanks. Sorry it is necessary to keep such a close watch on these things but they do tend to get ugly if we don't.