PDA

View Full Version : Stacking wood

John Neel
01-03-2010, 3:10 PM
I installed a rack to hold my wood along one wall. The arms that hold the wood are 4 feet apart. That means that my 8 foot boards are hanging 2 feet beyond the supports and that there is a span of 4 feet. The wood has been stickered in my shop for over a year. There is some quarter sawn white oak and some cherry [Can I gloat if I got rough 4/4 +1/16 quarter sawn white oak and rough 4/4 +1/16 cherry for $2.00 per bd ft?].

Will the 2 foot overlap or the 4 foot span cause any bending or warping problems?

Do I need to continue to sticker the wood?

Thank you for your experience.

John Neel

Fred Voorhees
01-03-2010, 4:03 PM
Personally John, I would configure my wood rack to have support at the very ends of the boards and at no more gap of 2 feet between any of them.

John Shaffner
01-03-2010, 4:19 PM
John, a 4 ft span is less than ideal for stacking lumber. I have mine on racks with a 2 ft span and have had no problem with sagging. As for stickering, if it's been in your shop for a yr, I would forget the stickers unless it's moist in there, like in a basement. If you still want to sticker it, try 1/4" stickers and save some room. The whole purpose for them is to allow for air movement and once dried, shoun't need them. Any lumber I have inside has no stickers because it's usually less than 12% once it's in the shop. Outside, absolutely use them.
HTH,
John