PDA

View Full Version : How I spent my day off......

Ken Fitzgerald
10-13-2004, 10:39 PM
A little background..in August 1968 I passed the draft physical...I knew I had 90 days at most.....I immediately enlisted in the Navy with a 51 day delay. With 39 of those days gone...with my "drinking buddies" doing that which we did at age 19 (Ken S. would have appreciated my tastes then) ....I commented I'd like to have a date with a blonde with a good personality. They did a double take...said they knew the girl, and where did I want to meet her?.....The next night I had my first and only blind date....a young blonde divorcee with 2 kids. Three evenings later following our 3rd date...I asked her to marry me. 8 days later...I put her name on my savings and checking accounts and left for bootcamp. 2 days after returning from boot camp we were married.....Christmas eve of this year we'll celebrate our 36th anniversary....go figure.....beat the odds....miracles do happen.....3 years after we were married I adopted those 2 kids and a few years later we had one more for a total of 3.

Today, my oldest son, now a deputy sheriff, spent one of his 2 days off helping me install the service entry in my new shop. Tomorrow on his other day off this week, he's returning to help me install a brace on the electrical mast for my home and drive the 2 grounding rods into the ground for the service entry for my new shop. "My cup runneth over!!!!" :) :) :)

To keep Tyler and Chris P. off my back.....I respectfully submit the following photos as evidence that I didn't just loaf today on my day off...... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Don Abele
10-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Ken, you have been truely blessed and survived the odds. Having spent the past 17 years in the Navy, I have seen more relationships go wrong than go right. It takes more than luck and hard work to make it happen. You two obviously have found that secret ingredient. May you and your wife have continued happiness and health in your life together.

Oh, and congrats on the shop too...(sorry, your preface touched me deeply).

Be well,

Doc

Jerry Olexa
10-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Ken, I echo the sentiments expressed so well by Don. You are truly blessed and I am very happy for you and your family. You came through adversity very well! I wish you only continued success! Jerry

Ken Fitzgerald
10-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Doc....I spent 8 years in the Navy. I made E-6 in less than 5 years.I filed taxes on 3 times the income my first year out as I did as an E-6 over 8. I saw a way of putting my kids through college...at least easier way than doing it while in the Navy. The time I spent in the Navy were certainly the most satisfying years of my adult life. The people I met in the Navy the most respected. I met few "lifers" that I didn't respect and I liked most of them. But you're absolutely correct..I was truly blessed and lucky. I saw a lot of others in the Navy that weren't that lucky or blessed! :confused:

Jim Becker
10-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Very kewel story, Ken. Thanks for sharing it! And the work looks great, too...won't be long and you'll be making sawdust "in" that shop rather than "for" that shop!!

Don Abele
10-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Ken, there are very few people that don't take some positive experience away with them from military experience. As for money, I hear ya. I could most certainly make a lot more money in medicine on the outside than I can in the Navy. But, for me, it's not about the money - my service to our country is a calling and I'm blessed with having a wife that has supported me totally through all the moves over the past 12 years we've been married (and says she will over the next 13? years).

Be well,

Doc

Ken Fitzgerald
10-13-2004, 11:21 PM
And you and your country are blessed. Thanks Doc!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Stealth gloat....you jokers aren't paying attention :eek: ;) :D ....you didn't notice that the heating contractor roughed in the gas lines and the vent.....the gas line isn't visible in the exterior photo but the vent is......I'm getting closer! :) :) :) Go ahead....John M......ask me how I really feel! :D :D

Christopher Pine
10-14-2004, 1:38 AM
Nice job!!! Congratulations on the many years with your bride. I appreciate that my opinion carries some weight around here! :)
TO be in the same sentance as Tyler I know I have reached a whole new level! I like it! :)
Chris

OR was it another Chris P you were referring to? (Looking around paranoid)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2004, 6:37 AM
Chris Pine......I meant Chris Padilla..........or did I???????????? I thought Tyler and Chris Padilla were the only "Photo Cops!"..............now I"m sweating....

Michael Stafford
10-14-2004, 6:56 AM
What a fine uplifting story. Thanks for sharing. I hope you let LOYL read that. It is a testament to the kind of good people you, your wife and children are. There are lots of folks out there still living good old fashioned lives. None of the glitz and glamour but wonderful, meaningful, happy lives.

I salute you and your family, Ken. You give that blonde a big hug for us all.

For a former Navy man I see you've landlocked yourself pretty well....

Kelly C. Hanna
10-14-2004, 7:52 AM
Beautiful story Ken! Miracles do happen for sure and sounds like you have a very rich life! Congrats on the great family and getting something done on the shop!

John Miliunas
10-14-2004, 8:46 AM
Go ahead....John M......ask me how I really feel! :D :D

Ken, I can tell by your story and pictures that you are a prime example of a very deprived and depressed person. :( Yeah. Right. And I've got some oceanside property for sale right here in Central Wisconsin! :eek: Great story, great pics, sounds like a great life and I think you have your future covered, as well! :D Naw, I believe we can tell how you really feel! :cool:

Tyler Howell
10-14-2004, 9:06 AM
OK enough with the happy talk back to business. This is very pinched up, but is your color code correct here:confused:

I think your center conductor should be white here, neutral. And if this is a service entry (meter) It will tie to Ground in the panel.
Very clean install and a great story. ;)
Were just doing our job folks. The picture police are here to protect and serve.:mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2004, 9:27 AM
Good eyes Tyler!.....I'll be back on the roof today changing the tape to white... and in the two panels. Thanks. If things work out today....I could get my service entry inspected on Friday...maybe power hooked up Friday afternoon or early next week. I could have "juice" in the shop next week....install a temporary outlet and breaker....evenings next week could be roughing in electrical...I've got a couple of installations starting the following week.

Ted Shrader
10-14-2004, 9:36 AM
Ken -

Nice job on choosing your bride . . . and on the install, too. :) I see Tyler has already pointed out the green tape needs to be changed. Other than that, I'm sure the inspector will sign you right off (after you talk for a while).

Regards,
Ted

Chris Padilla
10-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Good eyes Tyler!.....I'll be back on the roof today changing the tape to white... and in the two panels. Thanks. If things work out today....I could get my service entry inspected on Friday...maybe power hooked up Friday afternoon or early next week. I could have "juice" in the shop next week....install a temporary outlet and breaker....evenings next week could be roughing in electrical...I've got a couple of installations starting the following week.
Rats, Tyler beat me to this one!! I have one, though: Where is the EGC bar??? I would have made the cable a bit more loopy/longer myself but looks great!!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Oh....now they're more than "Photo Cops" :rolleyes: :eek: :D ..........Tyler....at 0700 I'd already changed the tape to white....the sun was barely up here at that time...we're on PDT.....Chris....I give up.....electronics...electricity.....I keep changing hats.....What is a EGC bar? :confused:

Chris Padilla
10-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Equipment Ground Conductor. In your main box, the white neutral and all the bare copper or green wires will connect together. If for some reason you have a sub-panel somewhere else in the shop, the white and green/bare copper will be isolated from each other.

I just didn't see the screw terminal (I forget the jargon for the correct word) or neutral bar that all the bare copper will connect to is all. Maybe I'm blind? :D You are running all NM (romex)?

Edit: Yeah, I'm blind.... :o

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Chris...if you look at the "breaker motherboard"...near the top is the main breaker....on either side are 2 vertical "bars".......these are the neutral and ground bars. One of the ones on the right side has the "bonding" screw that is installed to tie neutral to ground to meet local code.

Betsy Yocum
10-14-2004, 1:13 PM
Ken - great story - thanks for sharing. Always good to know that people do beat the odds and great loves do exist!:)

On another note, I for one am glad I have not posted pictures of my electrical panel - yikes! - the photo cops are intense!!!!!:eek:

Betsy

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2004, 2:09 PM
Betsy.....take them for what they are..........the Photo Cops, that is.....most of the time they take their meds and they are liveable:p ......at other times ;) ......Their advice is always appreciated! :)