PDA

View Full Version : Dip pen and ink bottle

Curt Fuller
01-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I've been playing around with making pens without using a kit, just basically stick pens. This is my first try at a dip pen. The wood is dunno/practice wood, the brass piece at the tip is a brass compression washer shaped slightly on the lathe, the nib is one of many my wife has collected over the years. The tip of the pen is drilled to accept the nib and then a small dowel wedges in to hold it tight. And while I was at it I turned a wood (ornamental) ink bottle out of some fruit cherry.

John Keeton
01-03-2010, 1:32 PM
A rich man's quill pen!! Curt, I really like that - makes a very classy looking set that would showplace well on a nice piece of furniture.

Baxter Smith
01-03-2010, 1:45 PM
Neat idea! Pretty little accent piece. Even usable.

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2010, 2:16 PM
Interesting idea! Really like the design of the pen and bottle set! I agree with John - while the items are functional - would make for an excellent display on period furniture!

Cool stuff Curt!

Allen Neighbors
01-03-2010, 5:06 PM
Nice work! Pat yourself on the back.
Love thy signature line, also.... :)

Steve Kubien
01-03-2010, 7:57 PM
Very nice. I have some nibs kicking around here from CN Rail which are destined for similar pens...once my nib holders arrive from The Golden Nib. Can't wait!

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2010, 8:02 PM
Classy pen set Curt. Really well done.

Horst Hohoff
01-04-2010, 3:10 AM
Really nice work, Curt!
Is there a glass insert in the ink bottle, or is it sealed in some way
to hold the ink?

Horst

Thom Sturgill
01-04-2010, 7:38 AM
Very neat!

My DIL had me make her a couple while taking an art class, I used the nibs from a set of plastic artists pens and also made one for the smaller nib that just needs a round hole.

But, I never even thought of making an ink well!

My wife buys bottled ink for her fountain pens - the bottle is 2" tall and a little over 2" diameter. Something like that as a 'cover', possibly with a threaded base or lid so she could change bottles, would be a great gift item for her!

While I agree that it would make a neat stage setting for a period piece, there ARE still people that use dip pens.

Billy Tallant
01-05-2010, 2:08 AM
Very classy looking pen. Nice job there!

David E Keller
01-05-2010, 4:34 PM
Very cool... I'm also interested in the inside of the ink bottle... Insert? water proof finish?

Curt Fuller
01-05-2010, 8:49 PM
Thanks everyone.

This ink bottle is purely ornamental and not intended to hold ink for sure. I think something as messy as ink would need a glass bottle, maybe a nice looking holder for the bottle, but definitely glass to hold the ink.