PDA

View Full Version : Help me price some Cherry

Joe Meazle
10-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Good evening,

I got a call from my brother tonight. He was approached by an older gentleman in the community asking what cherry was going for these days. Apparently he has a sizeable quantity in a barn. It has been there for years. Some wants to buy it. Not me:mad: I never find these deals. My brother gets these questions every once in while. He is the Agri/shop teacher in a small town. He once had some want to donate a Woodmizer but didn't know what he would do with it. He could not imagine the kid running a mill without some serious injuries. Back to the cherry, I tell by bro. that select 4s is >$4.00bf in these parts. He told that he did know about the quality but did know that it was rough sawn. Cedar, which the guy also has is going for a bout $.75 bf around for a reference. We figured it would be a pretty fair deal for buyer and seller if it was dry, and insect free for around $2.00bf. Thanks for the help.

Joe

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Joe, I think you are in the ballpark with that line of thinking. I just bought 150+ BF of RS Cherry that is really nice, and 50+ BF of Cedar for .50 a BF. I realize this was a great deal, so I bought about all the Cherry he had. This fella has more Cedar, and Oak for the same price. I am planning on returning very soon to pick up some Oak. All the lumber had been drying for 10+ years in a barn.........no insects that I can see, and all of it was at least 4/4, and some is 8/4. Some of the Cherry boards are 12"-13" wide too............and almost all is heartwood...........just a ribbon of sapwood on the edge of a few boards of the Cherry. Let's just say I got lucky on this find........but, it was my turn! ;)

Joe Meazle
10-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Joe, I think you are in the ballpark with that line of thinking. I just bought 150+ BF of RS Cherry that is really nice, and 50+ BF of Cedar for .50 a BF. I realize this was a great deal, so I bought about all the Cherry he had. This fella has more Cedar, and Oak for the same price. I am planning on returning very soon to pick up some Oak. All the lumber had been drying for 10+ years in a barn.........no insects that I can see, and all of it was at least 4/4, and some is 8/4. Some of the Cherry boards are 12"-13" wide too............and almost all is heartwood...........just a ribbon of sapwood on the edge of a few boards of the Cherry. Let's just say I got lucky on this find........but, it was my turn! ;)Yeah Kevin, I saw you steal that wood. :D Your such a nice guy that he even thanked you, didn't he. You definitly had some good wood karma coming your way. Hopfully I will get those windows done before it gets chilly. Thanks for the help Mr.G
Joe

Matt Allan
10-13-2004, 10:55 PM
hearing about these .50-few dollar a BF wood gloats sure gets old when I am over here paying an arm and a leg. Just last week I bought some cherry, I think it ran me $6.00 or $7.00 a BF.. I needed a small piece of 8/4 and I'm sure that was a bit more too.

I need to find some of these deals already.

Ellen Benkin
10-13-2004, 11:04 PM
In Los Angeles I get 4/4 cherry for about $5.40 BF -- rough sawn.

Jim Becker
10-13-2004, 11:14 PM
I pay my regular, local supplier for high quality air dried cherry about $2.50 bd/ft...a little more for very thick material, such as 8/4 and 12/4. Figured or KD stuff around here goes for between $5 and $6.50 bd/ft at other retailers with an extra buck per if it's wider than 10".